Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to update my 250 to Europe 2009.1 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to update my 250 to Europe 2009.1 maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Trying to update my 250 to Europe 2009.1 maps Reply with quote

My 250 came with City Navigator Europe 2009. It said I was eligible for the 2009.1 update so I purchased the City Navigator® Europe NT 2009.1 Map Update on DVD and tried to install update as advised - and after a few steps it asked for key code, after entering the product keycode it said "This garmin GPS device is not eligible for this update because a previous map version is not installed" - whatever that means! As it only took a minute or so and because of the above message, I assume the update has not installed. I also connected the 250 via "my garmin" and it appears from below that the narrative indicates the map installed is the same as when it was purchased. Below is a screen shot via garmin website of both pre and post update - no apparent difference.
Is there any way of telling from the 250 if the map has changed from the original map to an updated map - I assume this would also show on "my garmin" if it had updated correctly?
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? One thing I did notice is that on switching on the 250 it says "copyright 2009" but I can't remember if it used to say "copyright 2008"
Advice appreciated - Ta

Available map updates for this device:

City Navigator® Europe NT 2009.1 Map Update - Our records show you have ordered your free update.

Maps installed on this device:
Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNE NT 2009 Limited
Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2009 Limited, Deluxe All Regions, Aug 08
Code: ****CR
Unlock Code: *************9D
Date Unlocked: October 31, 2008
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed the new DVD they sent you. Once you have you should start MapSource and then on the Utilities tab select the Unlock Maps - follow the Unlock wizard.

Just put in your 25 digit code.

Cannot remember if you need your unit connected at the same time though. Don't think so.

But it should then work okay.

Then you just highlight the regions - they turn pink - and transfer to your unit. It takes quite some time, but you can select to transfer to a memory card, which works a lot quicker.
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Have you installed the new DVD they sent you. Once you have you should start MapSource and then on the Utilities tab select the Unlock Maps - follow the Unlock wizard.

Just put in your 25 digit code.

Cannot remember if you need your unit connected at the same time though. Don't think so.

But it should then work okay.

Then you just highlight the regions - they turn pink - and transfer to your unit. It takes quite some time, but you can select to transfer to a memory card, which works a lot quicker.

Thanks - but i am still puzzled. What do i have to install from/on the dvd? - When inserted, it starts auto setup by saying "extracting files and then a welcome screen etc" - but as already described I can't get much further. Is mapsource installed as part of the dvd map update process or am I supposed to already have this installed? If so, from where?
Can you also clarify the 25 digit unlock code? Is this code needed to perform a map update or just if you have to reinstall the original mapset for some reason? I also have a 8 digit prduct key supplied with the update dvd which I tried to use as part of map update but as yet I am not getting very far!

Sorry if I am being dim but this is my first ever update. if you or others have any tips for a map update beginner, please advise!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you should get a screen with: (plus other options)

'Install City Navigator Europe NT Update'

Click on that and it should install MapSource and the latest maps.

Then after it has installed you start it (MapSource) and then enter the unlock code on the Utilites Tab.

On Garmins web site, when you are logged in (myGarmin) you should see Manage Maps.

On that page it will give you your Unlock Code, it should look something like this:
(but your information)

(e.g. your original map)
City Navigator Europe NT 2008 Deluxe Unlock
Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2008, Deluxe All Regions, Aug. 07
Code: xxxxxxx
Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date Unlocked: Aug 02, 2008

(e.g. your new map)
MapSource City navigator Europe NT 2009
Region: All
Unlock Code: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Date Unlocked: Feb 28, 2009

See how you get on now Laughing
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
As far as I know you should get a screen with: (plus other options)

'Install City Navigator Europe NT Update'

Click on that and it should install MapSource and the latest maps.

Then after it has installed you start it (MapSource) and then enter the unlock code on the Utilites Tab.

On Garmins web site, when you are logged in (myGarmin) you should see Manage Maps.

On that page it will give you your Unlock Code, it should look something like this:
(but your information)

(e.g. your original map)
City Navigator Europe NT 2008 Deluxe Unlock
Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2008, Deluxe All Regions, Aug. 07
Code: xxxxxxx
Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date Unlocked: Aug 02, 2008

(e.g. your new map)
MapSource City navigator Europe NT 2009
Region: All
Unlock Code: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Date Unlocked: Feb 28, 2009

See how you get on now Laughing

Thanks - unfortunately I don't get anything like that though - I have installed mapsource as a stand alone program but still no luck as it says no mapsource product installed - very frustrating -looks like i will be on to garmin unless any other advice solves this! -Just to confirm the map update is the official one from garmin on dvd
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you receive a 2009 DVD update or 2009.1. If you're trying to use a 2009 DVD in error with 2009 maps already installed, you will get the failure you mentioned.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doobs wrote:
Thanks - unfortunately I don't get anything like that though - I have installed mapsource as a stand alone program but still no luck as it says no mapsource product installed - very frustrating -looks like i will be on to garmin unless any other advice solves this! -Just to confirm the map update is the official one from garmin on dvd

I don't understand how you can install MapSource without the maps.

I think you need to contact Garmin.
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Did you receive a 2009 DVD update or 2009.1. If you're trying to use a 2009 DVD in error with 2009 maps already installed, you will get the failure you mentioned.

I ordered 2009.1 - it was what was offered to me on the numap guarantee and on "my garmin" that is what it says I have ordered.

However, the DVD itself says "Map Update 2009 City Navigator Europe NT" as the title, "Update DVD" in the middle and at the bottom in small print at the bottom says "007-01397-01 Rev A & A00-10343-01". The sleeve says "Map Update 2009 City Navigator Europe NT" and in small print "007-01395-02 Rev A 170-00772-00" - a slightly different number to the one on the DVD itself. I assumed I was sent the correct DVD (and I may have been) as it was ordered from Garmin but there is nothing on the DVD itself to say it is the .1 (2009) version
Am I trying to install the same map version that i currently have!
If so, presumably garmin have sent me the wrong DVD!
When i eventually do update the map, does it say on the unit somewhere that the map has been updated and what version map it is?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools, Settings, Map, About. Should give you the version. I think what you received is the same update DVD that you already have on your nuvi, which would explain the error. Ring them up on Monday and confirm. I haven't seen the actual 2009.1 update DVD to know what the ID number should be.
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Tools, Settings, Map, About. Should give you the version. I think what you received is the same update DVD that you already have on your nuvi, which would explain the error. Ring them up on Monday and confirm. I haven't seen the actual 2009.1 update DVD to know what the ID number should be.

all sorted - as expected, although i ordered the .1 update, I was given the option of having it on DVD - which turned out to be the same mapset as i had! Apparently the .1 update is not available on DVD (yet/if at all) and I should not have been given the option to order on DVD - they have refunded me the DVD purchase price and i had to download the update as others had to!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its all sorted Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: