Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time back I broke open the 720 and coupled a current measurement device to the battery cable within the unit (Fluke i30 with ten turns of cable through the sensor head, this was connected to a data logging DMM fitted to my ipaq 4700).

Even with a fully depleted battery once switched on with it connected to the car there was sufficient power to charge the battery with all the TomTom bells and whistles enabled, the built in charger symbol on the display doesn't really mean a lot, but I have measured the current flow with a device in various states of battery charge to know it works.

The primary intended function of the nav unit is for vehicle based navigation, using it while walking/ cycling is possible but not the true mode of intended use - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that is more likely to be down to a flakey bit of software monitoring (the battery level indicator itself is pretty hopeless), rather then the actual charging, which I believe is pretty straightforward.

As for the chargers, my x20 car charger is rated at 2A, and my x40 is rated at 1.2A, both far higher than the average USB port could charge at - should be 500mA but can sometimes be higher.
jmfarrell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else but I bought the TomTom as a portable device with TTS function and 5 hour battery life.

So if the TTS function doesn't work reliably on battery power then for me the product dosn't meet specification and it's a bug.

I've lodged a support ticket with TomTom and they've responded saying it isn't currently a known issue but they'll pass it on to their second line support.

In the meantime I'll see if it happens again with or without power connected.
Map: Europe West v875.3613
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with you on that jmfarrell,
Last weekend I went to Paris, using the 720 with the work around 8.320 application. The unit worked a lot better than the 8.30 application, however one point the charger was knocked out of the lighter socket and so it was on battery, after a short time, less than an hour the unit was stuttering terrible. I would of thought a potable gps unit should be able to work with all the functions activated as it is advertised with for the time that tomtom states in its publicity, not for less than an hour!
I am totally fed up with my unit and tomtom, a bit of luck they will go under during the recession.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfarrell wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I bought the TomTom as a portable device with TTS function and 5 hour battery life.

It is portable, as you can carry it around due to it's small size and light weight.

5 hour battery life in the factory, under controlled test conditions maybe, but not in the real world. It's no different to car fuel consumption figures.

It's primarily an in-car navigation device and comes supplied with the necessary power cables for that purpose.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I drive my car at a constant 56 mph I get more than what the manufacturer says! My tomtom doesn't do anything like they say they do!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why marketing/legal departments invented "up to" Burn In Hell
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the power related stuttering - why would putting the TTS7 voices on instead of TTS6 alleviate the problem significantly - perhaps we have two unrelated problems with very similar symptoms?

My battery was always fully charged and I always run off of the in car adapter, I reliably got stuttering on 8.300 with TTS6.

Anyway, as for 8.302 I have not experienced a stutter yet. Given that I could run 8.300 for a week before stuttering appeared then I don't believe it is a reliable test yet. I am running with TTS6 voices again.

What I have noticed though is that the handsfree is an absolute nightmare. Yesterday I was driving back home and had to make and receive some calls. The first few attempts I couldn't hear the caller but they could hear me. Then when I ended the call, I had no audio at all on the TT.

I powered off, and guess what - instant reboot!!!

Eventually, after a hard reset I got hands free working again. Not bad as I had done a soft reset, a hard reset, updated to 8.302 and then a clear flash before setting off. So, all in all it lasted about 2 hours before it needed resetting. I had no bells and whistles running other than the hands free.

Not happy so far, I will see how it goes over the next week.

Andy
taylorapuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why would putting the TTS7 voices on instead of TTS6 alleviate the problem significantly

I reckon TTS7 is slightly more efficient (in processing requirements) than TTS6 so it reduced the chances of the perfect storm of power consumption that seemed to cause the stutter. Even now the pause before it does a big TTS announcement seems to be marginally less with TTS7 than TTS6. Let's face there has to be some improvement to move it from 6 to 7 (bear in mind Loquendo provide this bit not TomTom, it's only Navcore that tends to increase in problems as the version number increases Laughing )
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone qualify for me .... the combination of navcore 8.302 together with WE map version 825.2157 and TTH 2.60.1525- beta - is that latest combined versions?

The reason I ask is that having updated my TTG 720 to the above specs a couple of days ago, I was today invited by TomTom to download the latest maps under the '4 map updates a year' that I signed up to a while ago .... there's nothing to download from the update servie in TTH - so I assume that they are behind the times?? Am I right??

Regards

Mick
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just tomtom slow at sending out the emails to customers. I had the same email arrive a couple of days after I had installed the new map.
I contacted tomtom support to ask if the was a fix to operate the 8.320 (work) in home. I got a reply saying that unfortunately it is not possible to operate the latest application from home at the moment. I think they got confused with 8.320 and the latest 8.302! But I did send them a screen shot of my system set up.
To sum up they haven't got a clue!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the main topic.
I did another fairly long journey today, this time not using the Jukebox audio at all, but with Bluetooth left enabled

Another two examples of repeated words and several pauses in the voice when the Reality View popped up at junctions.

Best fix so far but still not as good as it should be. Crying or Very sad
Leep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Problems with v8.302 Reply with quote

I just loaded v8.302 and now my computer voices won't even work. I tried deleting and reloading the computer voices but still no go. The standard voices work fine. Crying or Very sad
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a reset. I suspect you'll get the voices back.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my 520 with 8.302 and 8.10 maps today. It was running on battery and fairly well discharged. Every voice instruction was accompanied by the screen dimming on and off in time with the voice stuttering. It's as if the voice is draining all the electrical power.

Plugging the charger in cured it.

As an electrical engineer, I am very worried about this. When I see a screen dimming like that and being incapable of being supported by the battery, it is because something is being overloaded. My feeling is that if we continue using them something will burn out.

Maybe this is TT's plan. Burn them all out, deny it's their fault, end of problem.

I still think the map is lagging behind my true position.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: