Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom x40 Average Speed Camera Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom x40 Average Speed Camera Warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: TomTom x40 Average Speed Camera Warning Reply with quote

I see that my 540 produces a different type of warning when going through an area covered by Average Speed (SPECS) Cameras. You seem to get a funny symbol at the start of the zone, and another at the end, with a slightly different audio tone.

I drove down the M74 a few days ago, where a speed restriction had just been lifted. TomTom thought that I was driving through a SPECS zone, and beeped at me every 10 seconds or so, and flashed a 50 mph symbol at the same time.

My question is, does anyone know whether the flashing symbol and audio alert occur if you simply exceed the limit at that instant, or is it smart enough to compute your average speed since the start of the zone (as the excellent Checkpoint utility used to do)?
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom x40 Average Speed Camera Warning Reply with quote

SydEx wrote:
I see that my 540 produces a different type of warning when going through an area covered by Average Speed (SPECS) Cameras. You seem to get a funny symbol at the start of the zone, and another at the end, with a slightly different audio tone.

I drove down the M74 a few days ago, where a speed restriction had just been lifted. TomTom thought that I was driving through a SPECS zone, and beeped at me every 10 seconds or so, and flashed a 50 mph symbol at the same time.

My question is, does anyone know whether the flashing symbol and audio alert occur if you simply exceed the limit at that instant, or is it smart enough to compute your average speed since the start of the zone (as the excellent Checkpoint utility used to do)?

You get sounds with SPECs? I queried this a while ago as the default on my 940 was silent...and confirmed by one of the mods on here. Could you tell me what sound your SPECs warning are set to..there is more than one in the list under the Safety Cameras options.

The flash symbol alert happens whenever you go over the limit, and it does NOT average your speed....nice idea, but not currently implemented that way.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the options in Specs (from TT) of a sound at the start and end of an average speed check and also warnings in an average speed check. The warnings at both set at 15 seconds and are Polite3 for start and end and Polite4 for average.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You get the options in Specs (from TT) of a sound at the start and end of an average speed check and also warnings in an average speed check. The warnings at both set at 15 seconds and are Polite3 for start and end and Polite4 for average.

I assume this doesn't happen with the PGPSW alerts!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but at least the camera positions themselves might be up to date!
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

Interesting. Mine were all set at silent by default after the software update for the x40 series....I have a feeling they wern't silent originally.

I think I might try a reset to defaults and see what happens.

In the meantime I just set the ALL option to Polite3
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I find the option to change alerts on TT cameras?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main menu / TomTom Pus Services / TomTom Safety Cameras / Change Warning Preferences
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Main menu / TomTom Pus Services / TomTom Safety Cameras / Change Warning Preferences

Nice one Andy. Thumbs Up

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Thanks. I should have found that myself!
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just figured out why half the mobile camera alerts are silent by default. I DON'T have a Polite4 sound referenced by another poster above in my sounds folder.

I went to check the original back-up I made when I bought the device...and there was never a Polite4 sound on my unit.

Can others with a X40 confirm if they have the Polite4 sound? Starts to make you wonder what else is missing!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have "Polite 4" on a 940.

Normally, on TomToms, all the built-in sound FX are not individual files, they are all encoded in a single file - "data.chk", so I'm not sure how you can have just one missing.

On my 940 I get
Bell 1-3
Beep 1-5
Boing
Bugle
Cow
Cuckoo
Polite 1-4
Silence

You can also ADD to those files by adding either .wav or .ogg format sound files into the "sounds" folder (that's how I do my Speed camera warnings).

This might be silly, but you HAVE tapped the down arrow, have you? Because it can only fit 3 rows of 5 sounds on the screen at once, and Polite 4 and Silence are the only two that won't fit on the first screen.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yes I have "Polite 4" on a 940.

Normally, on TomToms, all the built-in sound FX are not individual files, they are all encoded in a single file - "data.chk", so I'm not sure how you can have just one missing.

On my 940 I get
Bell 1-3
Beep 1-5
Boing
Bugle
Cow
Cuckoo
Polite 1-4
Silence

You can also ADD to those files by adding either .wav or .ogg format sound files into the "sounds" folder (that's how I do my Speed camera warnings).

This might be silly, but you HAVE tapped the down arrow, have you? Because it can only fit 3 rows of 5 sounds on the screen at once, and Polite 4 and Silence are the only two that won't fit on the first screen.

Hmm..I do have a Polite4 but it is not next to the other Polites which is why I was confused. Also Polite4 has a capital P, whereas the others are lower case. It is actually the first sound, to the left of Silence. Then I have airplane, restaurant and ringtone which you didn't mention.

But I can see a separate file for almost every sound in the sounds folder. There are 24 files in there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have those as well, but I've done so much experimenting with the "sounds" folder I thought it must have been ME that put them there!

I have different findings though... As you say, the ones in the sounds folder are named "polite" with a small "p", but I get BOTH sets of them listed on the screen where you choose a sound effect. Polite 1-4 and polite 1-3.

It doesn't help that as I like the old versions of "Polite 1-3" that came on v7 software (completely different sounds), I'd also added them, so I had ten "polites" of various sorts.

You see why I skirted round it in my first answer, and just said you COULD add more!

But we digress... So you do have Polite 4. Can you assign it to the speed cameras you want?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom x40 Average Speed Camera Warning Reply with quote

SydEx wrote:
I drove down the M74 a few days ago, where a speed restriction had just been lifted.
Where? When was it lifted?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: