Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGo running on Mio C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGo running on Mio C710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: iGo running on Mio C710 Reply with quote

A guy at work today allowed me to use a (legally) bought iGo 8 SD card on my C710 - it worked very well; almost as if it was designed for the C710 ;-) [It was, of course, designed very much with Mio devices in mind - except that Mio pulled the plug on iGo; btw what happened there - I see that Miomap iGo based software is back up on the Mio ftp site. Did they solve their differences?]

Problems with iGo 8: no ability to use the device hardware bluetooth.

Other problem: very expensive and not value for money - offers little over bog standard Miomap and the 3d buildings are a joke.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty
What is your take on the basic maps in Igo8, are they much more 'up to date' or still lag several years behind reality??
Edit
I suspect that the BT 'button' is hidden in the S/W like it was in earlier Mio (Igo) s/w for those devices that have no B/T. It would probably be a fairly simple tweak in the data.zip file to re-instate it, (providing that they have not completely removed it, but my guess would be that they have not).
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
I can't speak for iGO 8, but the iGO version in my iPAQ314 (IMO identical to MioMap 3.2) has much more up to date maps.
It is also rumoured that an update via HP is imminent, but I'll only believe that when I see it.
Agree with Retty about the price of iGO. The price of the iPAQ with its software was less than iGO 8 alone with no hardware!

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal.
What's the story on 'getting at' the iPAQ314 vis a vie Mio Transfer (Hacked of course) and compatibility with Vista.
Just seems a shame to ditch my 710 just to get better maps, but I suppose if it's the cost effective way to go then......
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Retty
What is your take on the basic maps in Igo8, are they much more 'up to date' or still lag several years behind reality??
Edit
I suspect that the BT 'button' is hidden in the S/W like it was in earlier Mio (Igo) s/w for those devices that have no B/T. It would probably be a fairly simple tweak in the data.zip file to re-instate it, (providing that they have not completely removed it, but my guess would be that they have not).

I couldn't find any difference in the maps and I did look - all the errors, including one way street errors, I checked were still present: right turn in to Pier Street in Gosport for example.

Some new roads were still missing as far as I could tell (including the Coulsden bypass which opened in 2006!)

TMC worked fine - the C710 hardware was detected well. I noticed that some of the TMC messages featured road names which I thought was a new feature. Then I noticed that these messages all consisted of journalistic information. I checked Miomap 3.3 and realised that TMC messages there are all now, in some instances, featuring road names.

Couldn't get the bluetooth to work at all - iGo 8 just can't seem to detect the C710 bluetooth hardware. I suspect that there is a hack but I wouldn't know where to start - it would also mean modifying files on the iGo SD card which wouldn't go down well.

He said that he would lend iGo 8 to me for a week when he's on holiday if I can help him set up Vista on a legacy mobo (yeah right).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty.
Thanks for that. I'll await Sall's comments. I'm in no rush to do anything because I have both My 710 and my built in Honda satnav. The maps on the Honda are much more up to date than the Mio and the POIs (especially petrol stations) are far more accurate. The Honda routing leaves a lot to be desired and of course no speedcams.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Hi Sal.
What's the story on 'getting at' the iPAQ314 vis a vie Mio Transfer (Hacked of course) and compatibility with Vista.

The iPAQ is completely open - just connect it to XP or Vista and it becomes an external disk.
You can change just about anything on it - there is a huge user community on another forum.
It has a much higher definition display than the Mio.
But it has the same problems as the Mio with 20mph cameras and mobiles.
When I bought mine HP were doing a £30 cashback which made it just £100.
I wouldn't try to persuade you to change - it's something you would have to decide for yourself.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Hi Sal.

The iPAQ is completely open - just connect it to XP or Vista and it becomes an external disk.
You can change just about anything on it - there is a huge user community on another forum.
It has a much higher definition display than the Mio.
But it has the same problems as the Mio with 20mph cameras and mobiles.
When I bought mine HP were doing a £30 cashback which made it just £100.
I wouldn't try to persuade you to change - it's something you would have to decide for yourself.

Sal

It looks good but, alas, no TMC - can't find a iPAQ version which does have TMC.

By the way, the end result routing on iGo 8 is, as far as I can tell, identical to that in Miomap 3.2/3.2 - even some routing anomloies (all of them minor) are retained as are differences in the outgoing/incoming journey routings for some journeys.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals.
Thanks for the comments on the two devices. I'll have to see if I can find an IPaq somewhere to giv a try. Anyway, enough on this subject for now as far as I am concerned. Thanks again.
Trev
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: iGo running on Mio C710 Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
It was, of course, designed very much with Mio devices in mind - except that Mio pulled the plug on iGo; btw what happened there - I see that Miomap iGo based software is back up on the Mio ftp site. Did they solve their differences?

I'd be very surprised if they had, especially as NavNGo are pursuing them in the US courts now as well!

What happened as far as I can gather is Mio stopped paying, so NavNGo pulled the plug and Mio continued to sell after the date they were told to stop. If they are still hosting NavNGo software then I'll drop NavNGo a line and let them know!
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: iGo running on Mio C710 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Retty wrote:
It was, of course, designed very much with Mio devices in mind - except that Mio pulled the plug on iGo; btw what happened there - I see that Miomap iGo based software is back up on the Mio ftp site. Did they solve their differences?

I'd be very surprised if they had, especially as NavNGo are pursuing them in the US courts now as well!

What happened as far as I can gather is Mio stopped paying, so NavNGo pulled the plug and Mio continued to sell after the date they were told to stop. If they are still hosting NavNGo software then I'll drop NavNGo a line and let them know!

Darren, I don't understand your approach. Why would you as the admin for a popular end user based website feel the need to alert NavnGo to a situation that is allowing probably hundreds and possibly thousands of Mio users to update what would otherwise be legacy and bugged devices?

It would be far better, if you really do feel the need to contact NavNGo, to use your good offices to persuade them to provide low cost bug fix iGo branded upgrades to users of Mio devices who have for months been left without support because of a disagreement between Mio and NavNGo.

What I take from the Mio/NavNGo breakup is that neither Mio nor NavNGo have any sense of responsibility to users of oem software.

Btw, my understanding is that the software currently on the Mio ftp server is the property of Mio and not NavNGo.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may transpire that the software being hosted is there entirely legally. If Mio are doing nothing wrong then there is no issue? If they are then NavNGo have every right to know? Or are you suggesting that I 'turn a blind eye' and keep quiet and this, surely not?

I too would love to see a solution from NavNGo that allowed Mio users to update their devices with the latest iGo software as I'm sure would NavNGo and I will attempt to ellicit a statement from them. There may well be legal issues that prevent NavNGo from releasing compatible software for a locked device?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It may transpire that the software being hosted is there entirely legally. If Mio are doing nothing wrong then there is no issue? If they are then NavNGo have every right to know? Or are you suggesting that I 'turn a blind eye' and keep quiet and this, surely not?

I too would love to see a solution from NavNGo that allowed Mio users to update their devices with the latest iGo software as I'm sure would NavNGo and I will attempt to ellicit a statement from them. There may well be legal issues that prevent NavNGo from releasing compatible software for a locked device?

NavNGo may well have a right to know - that doesn't necessarily mean that anybody has a duty to inform them (unless somebody feels that they do have a duty). The information is out there and widely available as anyone who connects to the Mio ftp site will discover.

There's surely no reason why NavNGo can't produce software updates for a fee for oem devices. Their SD based iGo products work fairly well on Mio devices and only a soft unlock is needed (hardware features such as bluetooth don't work however).

The whole thing is a good example of the risk to end users of buying hardware products that are tied to third party oem software.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty,
I can't find the Mio ftp site, Sad will you share the address with us please. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
NavNGo may well have a right to know - that doesn't necessarily mean that anybody has a duty to inform them (unless somebody feels that they do have a duty).

If our data was being shared and others knew about it but chose to keep quiet then I'd be more than a little displeased! If it is being done without the consent of NavNGo then they ought to know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: