Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ProBackup on an iPAQ 3970
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ProBackup on an iPAQ 3970

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: ProBackup on an iPAQ 3970 Reply with quote

Does anyone have the Proporta ProBackup system working on an iPAQ 3970 (Pocket PC 2002, ROM 2.00.00 ENG). I have just tried it and the iPAQ does not see the MMC card at all. My SD card works fine, but I have never tried a MMC card of any type before.

Proporta are sending me a new card, but I wondered if the problem is with my iPAQ 3970. Are there any tests that I can do?

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old 16MB Sandisk MMC, which worked fine in my 3970 with the 2.00 ROM (not that it was really large enough to be much use). It might be that the contacts in your SD card slot are not making proper contact with the thinner MMC card.

By the way - even if you want to stick with Pocket PC 2002 and not pay for an upgrade, it is worth upgrading to the 2.10 ROM and installing the SD driver fix. You will have to hard reset and reinstall after the upgrade, though.

Like many here, I use Sprite Backup Premium Edition on my iPAQ 3970 (now on ROM 4.00.08, which is the Pocket PC 2003 ROM). As a result, I've got no experience with the Proporta product.

Sprite Backup Premium Edition is only US$10 (plus VAT) because you have a cut down version built in to the ROM as iPAQ Backup (indeed, one advantage of the 2.10 ROM is that iPAQ Backup supports timed backups).

Click here for Sprite Backup purchase details.

David
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thank you for the information. I will have a look at Sprite just in case the next ProBackup MMC card does not work.

Also I will consider doing the ROM and SD driver upgrades on the iPAQ before moving to TTN3.

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I had a few double takes on this, seeing your 3970 ROM as 4.xx.xx until I noticed the WM2003 bit. How are you finding it? I haven't taken the plunge yet, and remain with ROM 2.10. I totally agree re: Sprite Backup, by the way. It's dug me out of a few holes. I must say that I didn't notice the VAT. When did they change the rules on software downloads?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VAT is because Handango, who Sprite and many other Pocket PC software developers use to handle their sales, have signed up to the new EU VAT directive that covers software sales online. The change happened on July 1 last year.

Pocket PC 2003 - my impression is that the machine is much better with the new OS. It's slightly faster, more robust, and it has the new Bluetooth stack (5450 style). However, there's an argument that the gains are not enough to justify the hefty price tag in the UK. In the US, the upgrade is a mere US$25 - in the UK it's something like GBP40.

You also want to be pretty sure that all your hardware is compatible before upgrading - some expansions (particularly network cards and expansion packs) are not compatible with Pocket PC 2003. If you happen to have a Compaq WL110 wireless LAN card, HP haven't issued drivers, but I can point you to some Agere drivers that work perfectly.

I don't regret the upgrade - but wish that the price was nearer that charged in the US!

David
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get my iPAQ 3970 to recognize either of the two ProBackup MM cards that Proporta sent to me. I could not see the cards in File Explorer either, so I am getting a refund.

In the end I purchased the Sprite backup software for just £6.78 as Compaq had bundled an earlier version with the iPAQ. Thanks for the tip David.

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Quote:
The change happened on July 1 last year.

OK, I must have paid it, then, but it was only £6-7, as I recall. Does the online VAT only apply to those companies who have signed up, then?

Quote:
You also want to be pretty sure that all your hardware is compatible before upgrading

The only add-on I have is my Navman sleeve.

Quote:
I don't regret the upgrade - but wish that the price was nearer that charged in the US!

Hmmm, I'm off to Florida in August. I wonder if I can pick it up from CompUSA or somewhere on CD ROM....

Thanks for the tips.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

Like many here, I use Sprite Backup Premium Edition

They have just released Version 3. I emailed them to see how much I would have to pay as a registered v2.1.4 user, and the reply was that it was free. Bearing in mind the minimal cost incurred through upgrading from the iPAQ bundled version to the Premium, I am ecstatic. Other software writers/publshers could learn a great deal from Sprite.

So everyone who hasn't got it, go and have a look by clicking here.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of version 3, as I do tend to keep up with what's happening at Sprite.

Sprite Backup 3 has been a long time in the coming, and was originally going to be version 2.3, but during final testing, they decided there were so many changes that it was renumbered version 3. They decided not to charge for the upgrade, not least as it's a required bug fix for some version 2 users (in particular, version 2 can malfunction on Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition devices, like the XDA II). This is unlike the situation for upgrades from what was then called Pocket Backup 1 to Pocket Backup 2, which was chargeable, but not that expensive (US$10 to go from Pocket Backup 1 to what's now Sprite Backup Premium Edition).

I've had version 3.0.0 on my Pocket PC 2003 iPAQ 3970 for a few days now, and it seems happy enough. I'll only know, though, whether it works for real when I've probably got to hard reset to lend my system to someone else later this week - I was going to wait until after then to post here about Sprite Backup 3. Fortunately I have a recent enough 2.1.4 backup file that I know restores - just in case!

I would recommend people upgrade to 3.0.0 (do follow the instructions - you have to uninstall version 2 completely), but do be a little cautious and keep watching for further minor upgrades. There hasn't been a new version of Sprite Backup for some time other than various version 2.3 and 3.0 pre-releases, and it's quite possible that there'll be some new bugs to shake out.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: