Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The easiest way to update a stock Mio C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The easiest way to update a stock Mio C710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: The easiest way to update a stock Mio C710 Reply with quote

Hi, I have just found my trusty old C710 and would like to use it as a back up to my N95 with Garmin XT.

It's running Mio map 3.3 but apart from that it's a stock unit and would like to know how get the best results from an outdated unit. I'm always reluctant to bin something that cost over £300. The one thing I've noticed is that the TMC has stopped working but this was always a bit hit and miss!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to the technical side but would be extremely grateful for any help or details of recommended websites.

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is that there is no easy way (for a novice). It can be done, but you need to watch out for the legality of the software that you run on it. We do not discuss doing things that are illegal on this forum, but there are several forums that do.
The 710 still has a pretty good GPS receiver, but as you probably know, it is 'locked' to the Mio software. It can be unlocked and other software run, but as I said, it aint particularly easy for the novice. Anyway, mioMap 3.3 is not a bad piece of nav software (better than quite a few) even if you can no longer update the maps, and who's to say that updated maps will be a LOT better than your existing ones. They probably won't be.
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT, I'll suck and see for a while. The sat nav side of things are okay but even a limited traffic service would be useful.

I've been looking through the forums and most C710 users seem to have stuck with MioMap 3.2, is there a reason why? Is it possible to downgrade if this is a better version?

I am a complete novice but there's only one way to learn!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 710 had MioMap 3.2 installed, but it was possible to upgrade to 3.3 for a while. There is no point in downgrading to 3.2. If you have 3.3 as this is a slightly better version. I'm sure that someone else will chime in in a bit with their thoughts.

The TMC works OK on mine when I can get a good signal. I presume that you are using the bootlace antenna with a tip and 3 rings? This seems to work best when up the middle of the windscreen. Like me, you might find this a bit off putting. I have a thin wire strung around my windscreen, which gives me a better fit and arguably a better signal. The solution seems to be to T into your car arial, but be aware that if your car arial is powered from your radio, it could fry the Mio TMS receiver unless you put a capacitor in series with the centre core.
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT, I'll have a play a round with the bootlace to see if repositioning the wire helps.

If it's just down to the signal I might invest in one of these :http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/539?ci=1#rate
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12watch wrote:
Thanks M8TJT, I'll suck and see for a while. The sat nav side of things are okay but even a limited traffic service would be useful.

I've been looking through the forums and most C710 users seem to have stuck with MioMap 3.2, is there a reason why? Is it possible to downgrade if this is a better version?

I am a complete novice but there's only one way to learn!

Many thanks again to M8TJT as repositioning the bootlace in a vertical fashion has made all the difference to the TMC reception.

The C710 is working well now, I'd forgotten how good this was for a GPS purchased in 2006 & now that I've downloaded the latest PGPSW camera database it's even better

Hours of trawling through various forums leads me to believe that I need to find a copy of greatbritain7ppc.fbl to resolve the postcode issue where I'm unable to enter the full 7 digit code. I can't find my red Mio DVD to install the older maps and the broken links to the newer Mio version are hindering my progress.

I can't seem to find any recent posts on this subject and would be grateful if somebody can help me to find a solution

Thanks Not Worthy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12watch wrote:
......I need to find a copy of greatbritain7ppc.fbl to resolve the postcode issue where I'm unable to enter the full 7 digit code.

That's the one. You are putting a space between the first and second groups on the postcode? Not putting in a space will stop it working, even on the ...7ppc.fbl map.
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've included the space and it jumps straight to the search results page.

The map version is United Kingdom 2006.1 named greatbritain.fbl with a file size of 83.1mb (stored on the SD card), i've browsed the miomap folder on the PNA and it's empty!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled for ...7ppc.fbl and found this a few entries down. I suspect that this will do you?? And its from Mio, so nice and legal.
http://www.mio-tech.be/updates/miomappda/maps/

PS there is also a later version, Jan 07, I believe, but you'll have to find that yourself Very Happy SNIP
Hope this helps
Edit to remove second broken link

Last edited by M8TJT on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I Googled for ...7ppc.fbl and found this a few entries down. I suspect that this will do you?? And its from Mio, so nice and legal.

PS there is also a later version, Jan 07, I believe, but you'll have to find that yourself Very Happy http://lolofurieux.free.fr/updates/miomap/maps/index.html There you go Wink
Hope this helps

Hi M8TJT,

Fanbloodytastic, that's a tremendous help - it really was pretty simple eh?

I'd been trawling through loads of old Mio posts both here and on gpspassion where most of the old links are broken, too many crack sites were cropping up as well.

Thanks again

Martin
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12watch wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

PS there is also a later version, Jan 07, I believe, but you'll have to find that yourself Very Happy http://lolofurieux.free.fr/updates/miomap/maps/index.html There you go Wink
Hope this helps

Hi M8TJT,

Fanbloodytastic, that's a tremendous help - it really was pretty simple eh?

I'd been trawling through loads of old Mio posts both here and on gpspassion where most of the old links are broken, too many crack sites were cropping up as well.

Thanks again

Martin

Blast and double blast Embarassed

Trust me to jump the gun! Those links are broken too - most of the countries are ok with a few exceptions including the GB maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 12watch.
Just a little point, there is no need to quote the post that you are answering unless it's a few posts up, or unless you want to pick out a bit of it (like I did yours).
Thed word in your post that starts 'Fan....' is an example of tmesis, which happens to be the only English word that starts TM....
Google that one then Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. I just downloaded it Very Happy
I agree, the link to the latere map is broken. I didn't try it before posting.
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, I'd hate to play you at Scrabble!

Thanks for the posting tip

The search for greatbritain7ppc.fbl continues on Crying or Very sad
12watch
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something very strange is going on

I'm delighted to say it's now working Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: