Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hardwiring a G2500 into your car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardwiring a G2500 into your car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Hardwiring a G2500 into your car Reply with quote

I would like to hard wire my G2500 mount directly to the car (not through the cig lighter) but the iPAQ needs 5 volts, not 12 volts. Does this mean that the necessary ‘stepping down’ in voltage is done within the mount body itself, or the cigarette lighter ‘plug’ (on the end on the included DC power cord)?

In other words – can I just chop off the end that usually goes into the cigarette lighter, and wire it to 12 volts on the car? Or will that blow up my iPAQ?

Cheers
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere along the line there is a power adapter - because the iPAQ needs 5V, not 12 (or possibly 24). Putting 12V or more into your iPAQ will near certainly ruin it.

You can get cigarette lighter sockets that you can wire to a piece of cable (Maplin is one supplier) - that's how my hardwired Brodit mount is installed.

If you're not sure whether the power adapter is in the plug or in the mount itself and you still want to know, carefully disassemble the plug.

David
samriley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the manual the power in is a 12v dc input. Assuming the documentation is correct, you should be able to just slice the the adapter plug off and wire to a 12v line off your battery.
samriley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just ripped open the broke power cable i got sent which they replaced with a new one. theres no stepping down taking place in the adapter plug, so the documentation must be correct (the steeping down is taking place in the mount itself.
Commander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be very careful Oisky. I have hardwired my G2500 mount via an "additional" cigar lighter hidden under the dash and an adapter plug. The adapter plug is feeding 6 volts into the mount and all works well. I think if you feed 12 volts in you could fry your iPAQ.

I think you should measure the output from the adapter you were sent before you do anything.

Good Luck

Peter
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes 12 volts and the best way to hardwire it into your car is to use the Seidio 2500 Hardwire Power Cable.

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=2153
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardwiring a G2500 into your car Reply with quote

oisky wrote:
I would like to hard wire my G2500 mount directly to the car (not through the cig lighter) but the iPAQ needs 5 volts, not 12 volts. Does this mean that the necessary ‘stepping down’ in voltage is done within the mount body itself, or the cigarette lighter ‘plug’ (on the end on the included DC power cord)?

In other words – can I just chop off the end that usually goes into the cigarette lighter, and wire it to 12 volts on the car? Or will that blow up my iPAQ?

Cheers

Oisky - did you dare to try it? how did it go - is the Ipaq still working, I want to do the same and sent Seidio an e-mail - got an automated response saying due to high volume of contact they would contact me in 24-72 hours - still waiting Confused
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth the tomtom mount does the stepping down.It feels warm to the touch, but just to be certain I measured the voltage at the plug that fits into it and it reads 12volts so you can adopt the same principal to any other make of mount !!
dave
Commander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the TomTom mount does the stepping down I don't think it is safe to assume that "you can adopt the same principal to any other make of mount !! ". I believe that the G2500 requires a 6V input.

Peter
paulSp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

new to here, got the G2500 mount 2 weeks ago,
very happy with it, and connected for a week via the hardwire cable to 12v without any problems - IPAC 5550 charging OK........

Regards,

Paul. Thumbs Up
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander wrote:
Just because the TomTom mount does the stepping down I don't think it is safe to assume that "you can adopt the same principal to any other make of mount !! ". I believe that the G2500 requires a 6V input.

Peter

If and only IF the mount and power lead are supplied as a kit and the voltage at the plug that fits into the mount is measured( The measure point is missing from the quote!) ..12v = not stepped down ..less 12v = stepped down.. I would beg to differ that the "same principle" could be applied Happy Any way I thought decent manufacturers put an input voltage range along with pin polarity on their kit !!
dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: