Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Go 520T - Should I update or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Go 520T - Should I update or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: New Go 520T - Should I update or not? Reply with quote

I have just purchased a new Go 520T which I have yet to connect to my PC or register with TomTom.

After reading through some posts on this forum I feel I may be better off not updating the unit software (or maps)!

My unit has been supplied with software version 7.221 and map version 715.1703.

Can anyone tell me the dates of the maps from the above information?

All the functions including the TMC unit seem to work fine so I don't want to break it as all seems to work (unlike my last Sat Nav a iPAQ 314 which is full of bugs).

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back it up to your PC using Windows Explorer, this way you can revert to the as supplied condition should you experience problems with the newer maps and software.

Update the software on the device to the latest available (currently Navcore 8,301) which you can check what’s on the device by tapping the sat strength meter (lower right corner of the nav screen).

Then use Latest Map Guarantee to update the map to the latest release - currently v815 - I would leave this step for a week or two though to see if a newer map is released - you have 30 days from purchase to use LMG and a new map is imminent.

The current software/ map you have installed is around 12 months out of date - Mike
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Dont upgrade!!!!! Reply with quote

I purchased a 520T in October which worked just fine. Then updated to 8.3 with purchased map updates and now a heap of ****.

I specifically wanted TTS and chose the TomTom over a Garmin unit on configurable screen info.

I have been using a Garmin Streetpilot III since 2002 with almost no issues. It did shutdown once and locked a few times.

With the 520 something happens every time I use it, stuttering voice, position lag, blank screen and yesterday no satellite lock. When I switch it on I sometimes get the tomtom drums but mostly I don’t, why?

If I was you I would not purchase new maps and don’t what ever you do upgrade, there only trouble that way.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Back it up to your PC using Windows Explorer, this way you can revert to the as supplied condition should you experience problems with the newer maps and software.

Update the software on the device to the latest available (currently Navcore 8,301) which you can check what’s on the device by tapping the sat strength meter (lower right corner of the nav screen).

Then use Latest Map Guarantee to update the map to the latest release - currently v815 - I would leave this step for a week or two though to see if a newer map is released - you have 30 days from purchase to use LMG and a new map is imminent.

The current software/ map you have installed is around 12 months out of date - Mike

I agree with Mike with one addition - after you have backed up the device using Windows explorer I would download 8.010 from Oldboys website and install that. Check it all works OK and then take another backup. 8.010 is by far the best Navcore to run on x20s, it is the first one where the TMC actually gives you delay information correctly (Navcore 7 NEVER worked with RDS-TMC correctly).

Then I would wait a week until the new maps come out then update to the latest and greatest (?) Navcore and use your latest map guarantee to get the latest map FOC. At this point take another full backup. If you are intent on always having the latest maps then subscribe to the map update service at this point.

Andy
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XMB, What might not be clear from the above posts is you have to have Navcore v8.3 or 8.301 to be able to get the latest map, currently V815.

The Navcore has got problems, but you don't want to miss out on getting the newer map. Use the 30 days wisely and if the anticipated newer map has not come out, at least upgrade and get the v815 map, its so much more up to date than your installed one.

If after the upgrade you don't like the stutter etc, if you did back ups you can always downgrade back to an earlier version and keep the newer map saved until the bugs are ironed out.

Bottom line. Don't miss getting the latest map with the LMG you have, at the expense of not upgrading the Navcore. Maps are not cheap.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
xmb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will hold on to as near the 30 day limit before doing anything!

Then, if I just update to the latest firmware and maps, I assume I can always just restore the original copy I made of all the files on my unit? (I assume I just drag them onto the 520 and say replace?)

Then I would be able to go from my original version (7) to 8.010 that has been recommended (again I assume by just dragging the extracted CAB files to the 520 device?).

Thanks for the tips so far.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an explanation of manually installing files to a TomTom in This Post, if you just drag folders around you will seriously mess up the device and lose plenty of data - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: