Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 920T USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 920T USA Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 920T USA Maps Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Can you help? I'm due to visit the US next week and I'm aiming to take my sat nav with me. I've just downloaded the US speed cameras (great demonstraon video on how to do this). Anyway I thought I'd take a quick look at the US maps only to find they weren't listed!!!! All I can see currently are the Western Europe countries.

Is it the case the US maps would only be accessible once I'm there and the satellites get a new fix? If not where are they? I bought this unit thinking those maps would already be installed. Again if not can you tell me where I can find them?

Hope this makes sense. It's probably staring me in the face but I'm not the sharpest tool in the box :-)))

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Tony
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 920 should have been supplied with North American mapping installed from new, try Change Preferences/ ManageMaps/ Switch Map and select the North America map from the presented list - this should then show you the mapping for the USA/ Canada.

Make sure you put the USA speed cameras into the North America map folder and configure the POI warnings while you have the North American map selected - Mike
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaaaa!!!!!!! And Loh, there it was :-))))) Thanks for your help. Sorted. Just need to set up the camera settings.

I forget to ask one other thing in my previous message. Is there a way to set a security password/PIN code for this Tom Tom just in case someone thinks they deserve it more than me?

Thanks again in advance.

Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set a PIN using TomTom's PC utility "Home".
Connect the Go to the PC, run Home and select "Operate my Go". If you look through the Change Preferences menu, you should find "set owner" (page 6 of 8 on my software version). You can't do this on your normal menu on the device itself.

Unfortunately, if you have just updated your software to the latest v8.301, the "Operate my Go" bit of Home doesn't work yet.
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help with this. Much appreciated. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I haven't updated things yet so hopefully all will be well.

Thanks again.

Tony
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I guess I'm doing something wrong. I clicked onto Home, followed the instructions such as "connect to my computer" etc. I had to set my current location or something which promptly placed me in Amsterdam??? Anyway, when I clicked onto "operate my go" I only had two pages of options none of which were "change preferences." I downloaded the help section from Tom Tom's website and followed them but still no luck.

Any thoughts, clues, advice?????

Tony
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sussed it. Didn't realise you actually had to click on the screen to access the menus. Doh!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: