Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD traffic rapidly going downhill
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD traffic rapidly going downhill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:

Fat chance, there have been loads of complaints for 3 months with the stuttering voices on the x20 and x30's and have tomtom (or should that be trashtrash) fixed it? NO

This is a different situation though, because they stand to lose monthly subscriptions if they don't listen.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic or any other traffic system is not going to cover every road closure. It does not (and is not claimed to) even cover every A road never mind all the streets in a city centre. It never will. The system is not yet fully doing what it is meant to do and needs fixing, but some expectations seem unrealistic.

Mapshare has the capability of temporary road closures, when you mark a road as closed. However I have not seen an explanation from TomTom of what temporary means. Unfortunately with map share you have no way of knowing if the person who entered the data is diligent or just a total idiot, so you have to choose to reject most of the data.

I have also wondered why people who show units not including the x40 in their signature have so many opinions on how well HD Traffic works when they cannot be using it.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Tomtom
Quote:
At the moment temporary road closures/road works would have to be reported as a blocked street, road speed, turn restrictions etc, once these corrections/road works have been completed this would have to be reported again with the new change so that can be updated.

I have passed your feedback on to the mapshare department regarding temporary mapshare changes, so like you suggested there can be a date entered as to when this correction may end.

But then this is also difficult as mapshare was designed for permanent corrections. Reports of on going road works would then fall under Traffic, and this information would then be conveyed as traffic information.

What happens when a mapshare correction is made, is that Tom Tom verifies this and then makes it available through HOME to download. You can however change in the preferences if the corrections that you download come only from Tom Tom or from the whole community, but then of course these haven't been officially verified by Tom Tom yet.

Mapshare is designed for minor map corrections, major corrects can not be correct by mapshare, and these reports will be included in the next released map version.

And later in the ticket

Quote:
When you report a correction it will ask if this correction is permanent or temporary ie road works, depending on which one your chose these reports will be logged and handled differently.

Personally, the Edinburgh roadworks are a special case as most are lasting around 6 months to a year. Thus I dont need to cancel the correction as there will have been a new version of the maps by then. I think the difference between temporary and permanent is whether the correction gets investigated by Teleatlas and put into the next map revision.

The method is ok, but the poor users who dont update their maps quarterly will have duff corrections when the roadworks are removed as I'll have a newer map version and thus cant remove them. Hence my suggestion to Tomtom for a timed closure which gets reviewed either on the device or home after a limit you set (e.g. when you see a 'road closed for 12 weeks sign).

I've also heard rumour that their is a web interface in development to mae it much easier for mapshare to be managed and updated where you can view all your corrections and verify those of others that have recently been made. Once you become trusted, verifying a new report of an untrusted user should bring it up to your level and make it appear on more maps
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, Tomtom would link HD traffic into something like this: http://www.roadworksscotland.org/

I could see a new service of HD Roadworks though - the roadworks data would only need updated by the device daily in terms of closures and restrictions thus not wasting bandwidth
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road information from the Highways agency is very good when concerning roadworks etc - however, a lot of roadworks are scheduled overnight, so the device would need to be updated a few times per day - its not difficult though and the Live connected devices would be ideal for receiving this sort of data.
I was using a POI file containing roadworks data last year while testing some ideas, so it certainly works on the device, but to make the information really useful and more accurate it would need to be specific to time of day - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out today that the A412 St Albans Road in Watford is closed at its junction with the North Orbital for a month and of course it is not showing in HD Traffic.

I decided to block the road on my 940 and not to share it but oddly enough it did not ask if the closure was temporary or permanent. What has happened to this option?
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all corrections ask the temporary / permanent question Sad

As for roadworks, the most important thing for routing would be road closures. Probably followed by temporary speed limits and lane closures which would slow down the IQ routes data. Then general warnings as a hazard ahead

HD traffic should handle most slowdowns in its normal operation but its the closures that are more useful, particularly within cities
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
HD Traffic or any other traffic system is not going to cover every road closure. It does not (and is not claimed to) even cover every A road never mind all the streets in a city centre. It never will. The system is not yet fully doing what it is meant to do and needs fixing, but some expectations seem unrealistic.

The roads/areas I have used as example are covered by the HD system [Edinburgh] yet more accurately by RDS/GPRS. The roadworks have also been in place for a few weeks now so haven't just appeared overnight/offpeak etc.
I can appreciate that there are still areas that are being progressively introduced onto the HD network and coverage isn't complete but my only issue is that why should I pay for a premium service [HD] to provide me with less information than I am currently getting from a free service [RDS] in an area that is reported as being covered by the HD system?
If this is true of Edinburgh, how many other areas that are within coverage are suffering the same issues?

To expect the same quality of information thats available on the free RDS/GPRS system on the HD subscription service is not an unrealistic expectation to me.

Ironically, a small village north east of Dundee is reported as having roadworks, yet Edinburgh has nothing at all. Go figure. Confused
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, major routes that show on RDS or GPRS should all show on HD and if they do not the problem lies with TomTom. TomTom are obviously receiving the data if it shows on the GPRS traffic system so it can only be their processing if it is missing on the HD. As for the content of the TMC that is outside of TomToms control and if it appears on the TMC but not the other traffic systems, TT should be asking their sources why not.

The fact that an area does not have HD coverage should not affect the HD system showing road closures and other Highways Agency traffic information as this infomation is meant to be mixed with the new HD derived information. Only the additional HD Vodaphone tracking information should be missing in areas without this new coverage.

Today on HD near me a major A road junction is closed for a month and it is not mentioned.
ihunter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the other end of the scale, Molescroft Road in Beverley has been shown as closed for weeks now by HD. I had the opportunity to drive the full length of it in both directions at the weekend (purely out of curiosity) and it is most definitely open with no indication of why it might have been closed in the first place. I've informed TT so it'll be interesting to see for how much longer it remains 'closed'.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the issues with Highways Agency data is its often not updated at the end of work. For instance the Edinburgh Bypass has shown as closed for months due to a flood on gprs traffic. Whilst its hard for HD traffic to tell if a road is closed (it may just be unusually quiet,), it should be easy to determine if its actually reopened as the Vodafone data should show traffic movement.

It sounds like they need to add a lot more intelligence into the traffic algorithms
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet near me the M1 has just been closed, the traffic has not yet built up and it is already showing on HD Traffic as closed (J6-J7N).
ihunter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a day short of 2 weeks since I reported Molescroft Road in Beverley being incorrectly shown as closed to TomTom and despite a reasonably quick response admitting it was a fault that they would investigate it is still shown as closed. If this is an indication of how accurate HD Traffic is I won't be wasting £7.99/month when my trial period expires.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: