Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN tries to fool you
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN tries to fool you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angryviking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: GARMIN tries to fool you Reply with quote

Sometimes things are not what they look like, and the GARMIN maps are sold by trickery and the shops doesn't have anything to do with the swindle.
During the work with a big updated version of the Frankenjura Topos that we do we at www.coronn.com we bought the GARMIN Topo for South Germany to see if we from this could get any remaining or extra information to add into the material we intend to publish.

The hard-case for the CD-ROM give you the information that the map with all its futures is made for to be used in the GARMIN GPS and in a computer, PC.

So, what's the trick?

I bought the product in Germany during a trip to the big sport-fear ISPO in Munich. I use a Mac but have a PC at home so I was excited to come home and see what a world leader in GPS could perform regarding maps. Started up and finished the download (1GB) of the program.

To protect their products from pirate copies you need to register and then you get the unlock code. You have to register with name, address, email and......give them the ID-number of your GPS-device!
If you don't have a GPS made by GARMIN that you can connect to your computer to reach a ID-number, well, then you cant fulfil the form and you will not get access to the maps......my problem, of course, is that I bought the product for to use it in a computer, and I don't use the GARMIN GPS.

As many big companies the support-sites on the web looks as if they want you to belief that the only problem here is that you (as a customer) is not smart enough to use the product,...a product that is super-simple to use though, and since it is a international selling company, I bought the product in Germany, are Swedish but live in Italy,...where shall I start?

I have made a complaine at their web-site in a form to the service department from where I got the automatic answer "Die Referenznummer für Ihre Frage lautet '090208-000005'". Well, it looks as if I have supported the GARMIN with €129.90, spent a couple of hours in front of a computer and all this without anything in hand,....this doesn't look like a nice company to me.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GARMIN tries to fool you Reply with quote

angryviking wrote:
If you don't have a GPS made by GARMIN that you can connect to your computer to reach a ID-number, well, then you cant fulfil the form and you will not get access to the maps......my problem, of course, is that I bought the product for to use it in a computer, and I don't use the GARMIN GPS.

Have you tried using DEMO as the Unlock Code?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin maps are simply purchased from Navteq with an included license for use with Garmin GPS devices. No different from maps intended for TomTom devices or Becker devices. It's not a license to use them in any manner you wish. Keep in mind that they may not be used to create another product for profit. If that's your intent, you should deal with Navteq directly. They have a developer's program at http://developer.navteq.com

But as a side-note, Phil's suggestion should work to at least be able to preview it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: GARMIN tries to fool you Reply with quote

angryviking wrote:
During the work with a big updated version of the Frankenjura Topos that we do we at www.coronn.com we bought the GARMIN Topo for South Germany to see if we from this could get any remaining or extra information to add into the material we intend to publish.

...so you bought garmin maps to use their data in your commercial project and you're upset that you can't?!

i presume you asked garmin for permission to use their data? in which case i would have thought they would provide you with the relevant data as opposed to you needing to buy a standard end-user product?!

or have i missed something obvious?

MaFt
tsans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GARMIN tries to fool you Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

...so you bought garmin maps to use their data in your commercial project and you're upset that you can't?!

i presume you asked garmin for permission to use their data? in which case i would have thought they would provide you with the relevant data as opposed to you needing to buy a standard end-user product?!

or have i missed something obvious?

MaFt

It's alright, I've informed Garmin for him, so he doesn't have to bother. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to contact him about it. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: