Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using PGPSW Cameras AND TT's HD side by side.......an idea?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using PGPSW Cameras AND TT's HD side by side.......an idea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Using PGPSW Cameras AND TT's HD side by side.......an idea? Reply with quote

Guys and Gals.

I have been using PGPSW cams for a while now, and find that they are much much more accurate than TT's, especially where mobile locations are concerned.

But, TT with their HD service have a good idea. That been to update the mobile database on the fly, so if you pass and subsequently report a "live" mobile location it gets reported to all others with x40's.

So, I have all my alerts enabled for PGPSW's as normal but also have enabled TT's "mobile safety camera" file. All others for TT are disabled.

So, if people think that this is a good idea then surely its a way of us all keeping up to date with IN USE locations yet still been warned of other possible locations.

Steve
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How accurate is TTs HD Service Mobile Safety Camera thing? Does it work off one report or many? Can users be trusted to tell the difference between a Mobile Camera Van, a builders van and an ANPR van?

Just wondering what the odds are in increased "false alerts"? I know you get a lot of those with the PGPSW Mobile Database (well not "false alerts" but you know what i mean) but if you have higher expectartions with the TT HD Service being "Live" then what happens if it gives lots of "false alerts"?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea in theory Tomo...
But TT have never released any details about how (or if...) this actually works.
How many people need to make a report of a "Live" mobile location?
How long does it take to process the report and send it out on the Live Service?

If it is as accurate as all the incorrect and "stuck" road closures we keep getting, I'm afraid I won't be bothering.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a x40 to try this but TT data is from Road Angel.

I would like someone with both an x40 and RA unit to run them side by side to confirm that they use the same data.

Pity TT would not do a deal and just use PGPS data and everyone woud be happy.
Kev
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
I don't have a x40 to try this but TT data is from Road Angel.

not the lice update mobile locations AFAIK.

Quote:
I would like someone with both an x40 and RA unit to run them side by side to confirm that they use the same data.

They have and for some reason it isn't.
See THIS TOPIC

Try a search fro "road angel" in the TomTom forum section for more posts.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if I save a location to TT HD services and then pass it later in the day then I get a TT specific alert for that location (as well as the PGPSW alert for a "possible" location). This then seems to get deleted after either several hours or at the end of that day.

The only way to see if you need more than one "spotter" is for 2 or more of us to try it out, maybe picking a virtually unused road and then the second (or subsequent) user to set a demo route past that point.

Regarding false alerts, there are locations within the PGPSW database that I consider as "false", namely locations where its impossible to actually locate a mobile or otherwise camera. As time progresses though, these seem to be weeded out.

And, I truly beleive that anyone who has the know how to actually report a location to TT HD services would also have the relevant knowledge to know the difference between a camera trap and a ANPR or TM camera.

Steve
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use the TT report a camera function it messes up the POI icons for internal and add on POIs.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few rhetorical questions. How long does a mobile cam normally stay at one location? How long does it take for someone to spot, and report a mobile cam? How long does it take TT to include this cam in their data? Has it been reported in the correct position? (Perhaps MaFt can give us an insight ingto how accurate positional info is [or isn't] from submitters.)?
In the overall picture of things, I would suspect that the proportion of TT users who have HD is fairly low, and of them, the number of people that spot and report cams accurately is even lower.

I think that I would rather know that there might be a cam at a location, rather than be warned about it either too late or after it had gone!!
HD? No thanks, I'll stick to ours. At least we know how it is compiled and verified.
Tomo wrote:
And, I truly beleive that anyone who has the know how to actually report a location to TT HD services would also have the relevant knowledge to know the difference between a camera trap and a ANPR or TM camera.
I wouldn't bet money on it Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomo wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't bet money on it

Me neither. ANPR units are often reported to PGPSW as Mobile units and CCTV cameras are sometimes reported as Speed Cameras. The ability to be able to report something doesn't mean that person can do it correctly...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The ability to be able to report something doesn't mean that person can do it correctly...

How very true, you should see some of the reports we get!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
(Perhaps MaFt can give us an insight ingto how accurate positional info is [or isn't] from submitters.)?:

Darren wrote:
How very true, you should see some of the reports we get!

I rest my case Very Happy
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I think that I would rather know that there might be a cam at a location, rather than be warned about it either too late or after it had gone!!
HD? No thanks, I'll stick to ours. At least we know how it is compiled and verified.

You say that you would like to know there might be a camera there (from PGPSW database) but NOT once a live one had gone (from TT's HD service). How is there a difference in that?

I am in no way suggesting that you shouldnt stick to the PGPSW database, I am suggesting that with some thought that the best bits of both services could be utilised. If i need to spell it out, the possible locations of the PGPSW database are invaluable. These added to the LIVE locations added on the fly by HD users. So, driving along we here the PGPSW warnings which give the driver an idea that the road in question is monitered and quite possibly an accident blackspot and to take care. Then we have a different scream from the TT unit to say that there is actually a mobile van ahead.

Its all very well saying that people dont know how to do this, but why cant we educate people on how to and to activley encourage them.

Of course, thinking aloud here....... if people did report the active locations to TT then their own database of possible locations would get better and so be a real competitor to PGPSW's database.......... is this why my thoughts are hitting such negative response?

I'd like to bet my last £1000 that if I had a software solution that updated PGPSW's servers of active locations and HD users had instant access to that then there may be some more interest shown..........

So, anyone that isnt a PGPSW verifier or mod who is following this then may maybe have a think of updating TT's cameras as well, and activating the warings of Mobile cameras (leaving all others inactive) and using the PGPSW's database as normal. You never know, that active location that gets to you HD device could be the one that gets you.

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I have tried to update the TT cameras from time to time but have found it impossible to enter anything other than a location - its a joke in terms of the information you can submit and the methods to correct a wrong submission via the Live devices are not worth bothering with.

I accept your point that the TT database for mobiles that are live and could/ should be shared between users as a very good idea, BUT unless the data contains speed related information (which it doesn't) it is of little use.

That said being a moderator you didn't want my comments on the subject to start with - What I will say on the subject of camera databases and warnings is that you are welcome to try the TT offering, then please post your findings on the forum - Mike
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose all I am trying to do is get mine and other peoples monies worth from both the PGPSW database and TT Live services.

It is such a shame that TT closed down any external software been developed on the newer TT's cos I am sure there would be a solution to allow PGPSW users to update this database on the move.

And I do agree to an extent that TT's way of reporting camera's isnt ideal while moving, although I have done it successfully it wasnt the ideal thing to be doing while driving!

Been honest, having driven about 3000 miles in the last couple of weeks using PGPSW's database with ONLY TT's Mobile cameras (that give LIVE locations only) active, I have not had a single beep from the later even though I have passed 3 or 4 camera vans. So it would seem that not many, if any users are actually reporting them back to TT.

As I say, such a shame we cant update them to your database over the air, so although been a very good database, that would just make it astonishing.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite apart from the issue of its currency we have a very good reason for being embittered towards TomTom them in this area. Suffice to say not so many years ago TT had no database, and then a very short time later they had full UK coverage.

Now TT will tell you they employed a team of students to drive the length and breadth of the UK capturing cameras. Fair enough but do you really think it possible to do so in a matter of two weeks?

I apologise for the soapbox speech but it is very frustrating when there is little we can do about it. Discovering that they had employed Road Angel after all that had transpired was an even bigger kick in the teeth and so I'm sure you will understand why we have no desire to encourage anyone to use TT's speed camera service at any level and smile with glee when we see how troubled there speedcam service is!

Any hoo, Even were it possible to have LIVE Mobile camera locations, you need a massive amount of users all reporting to be assured that an active mobile camera is reported timely manner. This is a very long way off.

Much better to be forewarned of possible locations IMHO.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: