Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
I've contacted them through their enquiry form to try to set up a phone call for tomorrow.
Rob, I take it you didn't get anywhere with"Find a Toilet."

Did they want you to spend too many pennies? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Oh yes, very funny Wink

We didn't get that far in the discussions. We also toyed with approaching public bodies for the information, but we decided that we were in such a favourable position with our community that we could produce a much more reliable database than the disparate 'official' databases that are often hopelessly out of date, based on postcodes as opposed to latitude/longitude or have limited volume.

Well hopefully we can! Wink
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
Right, over to you lot! We want everyone to submit the locations of their local WCs.
Shame you didn't post a link to Submission Guidelines - POI database. Shocked

Oops! I'll put that right straight away Embarassed
tjs1977
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit i think supermarkets, department stores etc should be included (always the posibility we will buy stuff in there shops) and alot of them do have cafes etc in them Confused

things such as railway stations, pay for loos, shopping centers, park and rides (council owned) local public loos, markets and other places like that def should be included

As for Pubs, cafes, macdonalds etc then maybe if they agree but if not then dont incude them.

As for the Iphone im sure they guys and gals that have em would be only to happy to pay for somthing like this esp if its a specific made software for it. maybe even make it avalable (if possible) for nokia maps etc ?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately TT does not show detailed info on a POI but some of the more remote council run loos have limited opening time (dawn to dusk for example). Where do we add this info (in comments?) for those devices that will show the info.

A person could get a bit p'eed off if they have driven 2miles in desperation, omly to find it closed. Crying

Very few loos have a phone number, could this be adapted?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a good idea to distinguish between those with and without staff, those with staff may or may not have a charge, also if they are opened seasonally, as in tourist area, and the opening hours of all toilets in database.

e.g. When visiting Torquay twice in the same year, a couple of years back, there were several toilets open, some staffed but others not. Sometime, starting during September, some close earlier than usual and later on closed for winter, when I believe there were only two open.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between this category and any other Poi category to
warrant a charge ?
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just added the newly-refurbished toilets in my home town (Middlewich). But they won't be any use to anybody if they drive through town at 8pm at night, as the toilets are locked overnight.

Is it worth considering separate categories (daylight hours, 24 hours, free, pay for use) as we have for speed cameras. People could then download a consolidated file, or files split by category.

I know I'd hate to get to a toilet to find it all locked up.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And could I add date verified to that list. Currency as important as accurate.
No point in going to POI that has been gone for a couple of years.

Sorry ongoing rant of mine.. Smile
Selgovae
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Category/sub Category? Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea and would like to contribute some POIs. However when I look at the google map/submit page I am unsure of which Category and sub/cat. to use. Can someone advise me please.
Thanks in advance.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's under Community / Public Toilets.
Samsung Galaxy S21
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an very Early contributer to this category, I would also like to raise awareness to another Important category for a lot of people that perhaps could do with more support, i.e. Disabled Parking in the Transport section.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
Right, over to you lot! We want everyone to submit the locations of their local WCs.

It's a pity that there only a VERY few following the Guidelines. Evil or Very Mad

It's bad enough having the workload increased x-fold, but also having to put the Title and Details in myself is a task too much. Please take note of the last paragraph of Section 1. Rolling Eyes

Any that are received after today are likely to be Rejected immediately.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But think would be a good idea to clarify what would be acceptable because where i live there are Park and rides with loos in then there's the likes of BHS, Supermarkets and rail stations, as well as shopping centres all seem to have them there now.

----

This is up for community discussion, hopefully we'll get lots of opinions as to what should be in and what shouldn't and we'll derive our eventual decision from that. What do you think should be included?

I'm not sure the likes of McDonald's would be too pleased if they were listed as public toilets, but department stores may be a different story.

My opinion would be:

Toilets in pubs, restaurants, cafes would not be included, as they are usually for patrons only and signed as such. It's also a bit obvious when you troop through straight to the loo. Not that it's stopped me when the need is there Smile

Those in department stores, supermarkets, stations, shopping centres I would consider fair game, as they are rather more public, and you have every right to be there even if you are not buying anything.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
What is the difference between this category and any other Poi category to
warrant a charge ?

The possible size, it could run into many thousands. Also, judging by some of the other posts, it's certainly looks like it's going to be a lot more complicated and time consuming than the other categories!

You may have missed this in the first post?:

robbrady wrote:
Hopefully this project should grow substantially over the next few months, meaning there will be outgoings involved in administering what may become a resource heavy service.

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
RobBrady wrote:

It's a pity that there only a VERY few following the Guidelines. Evil or Very Mad

It's bad enough having the workload increased x-fold, but also having to put the Title and Details in myself is a task too much. Please take note of the last paragraph of Section 1. Rolling Eyes

Any that are received after today are likely to be Rejected immediately.

Come on guys, help Richard out! Just in case some of you missed the guidelines link I have enlarged the link in the opening post so all new readers should spot it. It now looks like this:

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Submission Guidelines for Points of Interest (POI) Database

...and remember, please take note of the last paragraph of Section 1.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: