Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

We have a huge and extremely enthusiastic community and we intend putting every one of you to good use! We're sure many would just love to get their teeth into a new project.

As many of you already know, PocketGPSWorld.com is well known for its high quality sat nav Speed Camera Warnings. Of late we have been receiving a lot of requests to create a similar worldwide database of public toilets.

In particular, parents travelling with kids pestering them for the loo should find it extremely useful... and women, I'm told, tend not to enjoy peeing behind bushes!

Not only would the elderly find these locations a godsend, but we believe they would also be very handy for tourists and travellers in unfamiliar surroundings. So we've decided to start the ball rolling!

Hopefully this project should grow substantially over the next few months, meaning there will be outgoings involved in administering what may become a resource heavy service. We might even create an iPhone application - 1 to 5 star rated loos perhaps? We may therefore decide to charge a small fee to cover costs in the future (though we might not), but for the time being and certainly until the database is of a respectable size, it's absolutely FREE to download.

Not only will everyone be able to benefit from the service as it continues to grow, but we will also give warning if and when we decide to charge. This will give you the opportunity for a free download of the 'commercial' package.

If we do introduce a charge, those who were the first to submit a public toilet location that was accepted into the database, will be given free access to site updates for life.

Right, over to you lot! We want everyone to submit the locations of their local WCs. Simply pinpoint the exact location on our easy to use Google Map (you might want to double-check the location with the satellite view) and follow the simple instructions to submit.

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Submission Guidelines for Points of Interest (POI) Database

Some UK data is currently available for download here under the "Community" category, but it is quite limited at the moment.

And don't forget that we have several hundred other POI categories available for download right now - for FREE!

You need to register first. Click here now to register for free and start downloading POIs for free. Registration takes less than a minute and will also enable you to post in the forums. Your privacy is important to us, we will not add your email to a marketing list or send you unsolicited emails.

VERY IMPORTANT: Please follow the Submission Guidelines to the letter or your submission will be rejected. Due to the size of this task we cannot manually edit every error. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by RobBrady on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 pm; edited 6 times in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
If we do introduce a charge, those who were the first to submit a public toilet location that was accepted into the database, will be given free access to site updates for life.

How about those who've already submitted all their local public toilets to the POIs? Will they qualify for free access if charges are introduced, or is there no record of who submitted locations?
Samsung Galaxy S21
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
RobBrady wrote:

How about those who've already submitted all their local public toilets to the POIs? Will they qualify for free access if charges are introduced, or is there no record of who submitted locations?

Yes, I'm pleased to say everyone Smile
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two sides to this one.

1st one is (excuse the pun) the convenience factor of it.

However the flip side is, it will show all of the weirdos & perverts all of the places to go to practice their disgusting & lewd habits. Twisted Evil
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:

However the flip side is, it will show all of the weirdos & perverts all of the places to go to practice their disgusting & lewd habits. Twisted Evil

I think you'll find they already have their favourite haunts Shocked
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point, but in my opinion, it would be an awful shame if we routinely let those sorts of factors, i.e. factors outside of our immediate control, rule too many of our decisions in life.

I suppose it's a similar argument to those that in the very early days of the Internet dismissed it wholly as a tool for evil! There is of course good and bad in most things.
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please clarify "Public Loo".

Sounds daft, I know, but our local public loo has been boarded up, while our local cafe/diner has stepped in and put a notice in their window volunteering their facilities.

Should I submit that?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question. I'd personally say no as we won't be accepting the likes of McDonalds, pubs etc. I appreciate this is a slightly different case though!

...but let's see what others say... Smile
tjs1977
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
Have to admit been on the site for a long time and this is the first time i have posted.. and apart from the Speed cams this has to be about one of the best ideas ive seen for a while... so already been on and posted my local Loos Laughing as i know how hard it is to try and find some where to go esp in a new place ......

But think would be a good idea to clarify what would be acceptable because where i live there are Park and rides with loos in then theres the likes of BHS, Supermarkets and rail stations, as well as shopping centres all seem to have them there now.

Also IF it does get to be a paid for service how would we find out if we would get it free (if posted locations early on)? or sould it be in with the cost of the speed cams as well?

Thanks Smile

Tony
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Anita wrote:

Yes, I'm pleased to say everyone Smile

Thanks for clarifying the situation, Rob.

Well done PGPSW. This is an excellent project, which should benefit us all. If everyone enters all the public toilets they know we should get pretty comprehensive coverage of the UK and beyond.
Samsung Galaxy S21
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
I've contacted them through their enquiry form to try to set up a phone call for tomorrow.
Rob, I take it you didn't get anywhere with"Find a Toilet."

Did they want you to spend too many pennies? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Right, over to you lot! We want everyone to submit the locations of their local WCs.
Shame you didn't post a link to Submission Guidelines - POI database. Shocked

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action! Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
RobBrady wrote:
Right, over to you lot! We want everyone to submit the locations of their local WCs.
Shame you didn't post a link to Submission Guidelines - POI database. Shocked
Richard, is it possible to get the mandatory fields on the form marked with the traditional * ?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjs1977 wrote:
Hi there Have to admit been on the site for a long time and this is the first time i have posted

Welcome to the forums Tony! Very Happy
tjs1977 wrote:
But think would be a good idea to clarify what would be acceptable because where i live there are Park and rides with loos in then there's the likes of BHS, Supermarkets and rail stations, as well as shopping centres all seem to have them there now.

This is up for community discussion, hopefully we'll get lots of opinions as to what should be in and what shouldn't and we'll derive our eventual decision from that. What do you think should be included?

I'm not sure the likes of McDonald's would be too pleased if they were listed as public toilets, but department stores may be a different story.

tjs1977 wrote:
Also IF it does get to be a paid for service how would we find out if we would get it free (if posted locations early on)?

We would let you know. Our database records show the submitter.

tjs1977 wrote:
or sould it be in with the cost of the speed cams as well?

Not sure at this early stage, but a possibility.

IF we produced an app for the iPhone, I would imagine that would be an additional and separate payment mechanism to that of the site.
gary10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a few that i have used as a driver, It was before Oldboy posted the link so i may edit the one in my local shopping ctr when it shows up.
Never thaught of toilets but will come in handy on daytrips with the kids

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: