Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass, how accurate?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass, how accurate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Quote:
There is the other option for high power rechargable AA cells, a couple of sets would get you through a weekend - Mike

I wouldn't use high power rechargables in this way. I have found that the so called "hybrid" or "ready to go" rechargables are much better dispite only being 2100mAh compared with a high power 2800mAh cell.

The reason being the self discharge rate on standard nimh batteries which is often quoted as being 20-25% in the first 24 hours then 10-15% per month. The "hybrid" cells are claimed to hold 80% charge after 12 months.

So, unless you can use these high power cells straight from the charger, that extra capacity is lost within a day.

I have these in My Fuji 9600 bridge camera. It can sit in the cupboard for months, but always has loads of power when I come to use it.

Google "Uniross HYBRIO" to find the best deals.

Although NiMH AA cells have historically suffered high self discharge rates this is not so much off an issue with the latest designs. The Duracell Supreme 2650 mAH cell has a self discharge rate of about 5% in the first 24 hours and a somewhat lower self discharge rate after that. These figures will be slightly higher at higher temperatures. The self discharge rate certainly will not be an issue for a weekend away.

The big advantage of the UNiROSS HYBRIOs is that you you don't have to worry about the self discharge rate at all and if you are an infrequent user of the Satmap they are probably the best option.

I get 11 hours use using the Duracell Supreme 2650 maH AAs. That is with the backlight permanently on and set at 80% brightness. I will, of course, generally have charged them the night before. They will easily do two full days if the backlight is set to time out after 30 seconds.

Dave
SatMap Active 10 - 1:50K maps
Garmin Vista HCx - Topo GB II, City Navigator Europe.
HTC Artemis - Memory Map, Tomtom 6
TomTom 520 - 8.320 firmware 815 maps.
Afuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave_the_hiker! Just bought some Duracell Supreme 2650 mAH rechargables. Problem is they don't fit the Active 10 properly, they seem to be slightly fatter than other rechargable batteries.
GB5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Duracell 2650mAh batteries Reply with quote

I use Duracell 2650mAh rechargeable supreme batteries like Dave they fit in my Satmap unit and under test produced similar results.
Afuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry. They do fit. They are slightly larger than my others but I had the top clasp of the Active 10 rotated so the back wouldn't fit properly and I assumed this was the battery size.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: