Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 530 Travel Via - Not Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

530 Travel Via - Not Working?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: 530 Travel Via - Not Working? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just been playing around with my TomTom 530 looking at different ways to create routes that effectively avoid certain areas like larger towns. Now I know the TomTom has an avoid feature and this does what it's supposed to, but at times it can take you well out of your way rather than simply allowing you to navigate around the outskirts of a town.

My alternative was to quite simply create a route from my start point to my destination and then use the re-calculate feature to add-in a "travel-via" waypoint. This was basically a village to the north(ish) of the town I wanted to avoid. However, rather than take me through the village the route did not take me anywhere near it, albeit it did avoid the large town. Now this would not seem like a particular problem to be honest, but the point is I actually WANTED the TomTom to take me via that village.

A way around this was to actually repeat the process but when setting the travel via option I selected an actual POI in the village. Both times I used the "fastest route" option, and although the route I was intitally given might have been the next best option time wise, it was clearly not what I asked the TomTom to do. My point is if select a PLACE to travel VIA then I would expect the route to literally takes me through that place, not somewhere near and certainly not several miles away from that place.

Naturally I could have understood had there been no roads leading effectively through the "travel-via" waypoint, but even then surely the TomTom should have taken me VIA that place and then told me to turn around when I got there?

Can anyone shed any light on this rather odd meaning of "travel-via" or "waypoint" that are clearly not used in the true sense of "via" or "waypoint"? Question Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT's have always done this, way back to when the GO Classic appeared.

If you just input a City/Town/Village it will skirt the area. A bit like using a Ring Road.

Normal usage would be to use Address/Street and House Number, or a Point on Map, or POI, etc.

This is, presumably, due to the way that the software handles "City" locations and generates the lat/long for routing.

It's one of those things that we just have to accept, as I don't think TT will be in any hurry to change it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy,

I understand what you mean and I can see the logic in the way the TT avoids towns/areas and to be honest I don't have a great problem with the TT in that repsect. It would be very useful if as a user you could define what radius around an specific point you wanted the TT to avoid when creating a route, but the TT does do what it's supposed to in this respect.

My real point in this posting was that I cannot see the logic in why the TT is failing completely to navigate via a waypoint I have specifically asked it to when I only use the name of a village. i.e. the TT does not actually navigate to the village at all and in some cases my route may be several miles from the waypoint I have set.

A waypoint or a place you set as a "travel via" place on your navigated route should be a place the TT should at least take you into and not completely ignore as it does.

For example if I create a route that takes me from my house and set my first waypoint as London using the "City Centre" option to add the location, the TT quite clearly puts flag No.1 right in the centre of London. My next Waypoint is a favourite in Bicester flag No.2. Waypoint No.3 is the village Mentmore again selected using the "City Centre" option to add the location. Finally my destination it set to Home.

However, for the first waypoint the TT only navigates me onto a section of the North Circular which is some distance from where it has set the first flag in the City centre. To my mind the only logical place it should navigate to is the point where it set the fist flag. For the next section of the trip to a favourite I have in Bicester the TT correctly navigates me exactly to that point which it has labelled with flag No.2.

The journey onto waypoint No.3 (Mentmore) agains completely fails to take me anywhere near the Village or more importantly where the TT has set flag No.3. As you'd expect because my home is effectively another POI where the TT is concerned it of course has no trouble in navigating me all the way home again!

To me there is simply no logic in the way the TT is accepting the user's selection of "City Centre" as a waypoint. The place where the TT places a waypoint flag is the point where the TT should navigate to.

The method for selecting and setting a waypoint using the "City Centre" option has no purpose or value whatsoever. The TT determines what point it calls the "City Centre" for a given place, it should therefore navigate to that point. Sad

As for accepting it, I don't agree it is something we should accept. This may not be an issue to you or many other TT users, but to accept (what seems to me) such a basic design flaw purely because TT have been doing it for years is silly.

I'm not having a go at you Oldboy - don't take it that way! Wink
It's just the TT's to say the least odd routing when setting waypoints in this way. Crying or Very sad
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use the travel via, I use travel via and use a point on the map and put the cursor where I want to go and it has always gone via that point.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
When I use the travel via, I use travel via and use a point on the map and put the cursor where I want to go and it has always gone via that point.

It will do... It is ONLY the "city centre" option that doesn't take you close.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? My TT used to offer City Centre, but more recently only shows City. Having long become accustomed to being unable to navigate via a "city" (village, whatever), I assumed it was TT's way of overcoming the problem (rather than fixing it).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right to me! Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"City Centre" is there in f/w 8.204 for the x40 users.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Precisely, so use point on a map if you want to go somewhere in particular or City if you want a vague direction. If I wanted to drive from Milton Keynes to Reading via London, I would expect that to mean M1-M25-M4 not via Charing Cross in the centre of town.
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Precisely, so use point on a map if you want to go somewhere in particular or City if you want a vague direction. If I wanted to drive from Milton Keynes to Reading via London, I would expect that to mean M1-M25-M4 not via Charing Cross in the centre of town.

This still does not seem to make sense though. I understand your reasoning, but this does not explain why the TT WILL travel to a "city centre" if you ask it to use the shortest route but not when using the fastest route.

I just used my 530 to create an itinerary to travel from Hemel Hempstead to Bicester VIA Chesham, using the "city centre" option to select Chesham.

If I tell the TT to use the fastest route the navigated route does not take me anywhere near Chesham.

However, if I do the same but tell the TT to use the shortest route it does take me to the waypoint set in the centre of Chesham.

Using the reasoning that the City (it is "city centre" on my 530 BTW) option is supposed to be a "vague direction" then this should apply regardless of whether the fastest OR shortest routing method has been used. Particularly as the shortest route is now significantly longer than the fastest route Question
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Travel Via - App 8.010 with Map 810 AND App 8.300 with Map 815

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 'Navigate to...' page on both my 720 and the 940, I have "City Centre", but on the 'Travel via..' page it's just "City". I wonder if that's TT trying to be clever?

Now, having gone to look at that, I've just realised that I've lost "Navigate to Spoken Address and Spoken address (Dialogue)" completely on the 720, but that's a subject for another topic!
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
On the 'Navigate to...' page on both my 720 and the 940, I have "City Centre", but on the 'Travel via..' page it's just "City". I wonder if that's TT trying to be clever?

Now, having gone to look at that, I've just realised that I've lost "Navigate to Spoken Address and Spoken address (Dialogue)" completely on the 720, but that's a subject for another topic!

Hi Andy,

The labelling of the "City" or "City Centre" button/icon on my 530 are exactly the same as you decribe although I had not noticed it before. However, regardless of how the button is labelled the functionality remains identical, i.e. that waypoints set using "City" or "City Centre" when using the fastest route actually fails to take you to the waypoint set. Using the same method but using shortest route does give the logical outcome that the navigated route takes you to the point the TT has determined to the be "City Centre".

I can only conclude that this is a bug with the software rather than a feature working in the way it was designed, there seems to be no other logical explaination IMO. What do other people think?
Confused

Both the options for selecting a place to navigate to by voice commands are both there and available (and working) on my 530.
I have Application V8.300 and am using V815.2003 of the UK/Republic Of Ireland maps.

Incidentally, I thought I may as well use the voice command to select the "city centre" by voice on the off-chance that that may work. Unfortunately that is not the case though and the route still fails to navigate to the "city/city centre" way point. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzer wrote:
I can only conclude that this is a bug with the software rather than a feature working in the way it was designed, there seems to be no other logical explaination IMO. What do other people think?
Confused
Whether the icon is City or City Centre is somewhat irrelevant. You know and I know that if we ask to travel via York, we could rightly expect to finish up going through the middle of York. Whether your, my or TomTom's middle is the exact same spot is also irrelevant, so long as we all travel through substantially a point which is more or less in the centre of the circle, square or whatever taken up by the conurbation of York. Even London, big as it is, is often regarded as the middle of the City of London or Westminster or somewhere. In TomTom's case, as you say, wherever the device plants the via flag.

I actually suffer this quite regularly. As a camera verifier, I get a list of cameras to check, so I sometimes do an itinerary. I have to be very aware that the TT will turn away before reaching some of them if the route doesn't go directly through them, even though I have input them as POIs to navigate via.

So you're right and it's either a bug or a bit of lousy programming by somebody.
MrT wrote:
If I wanted to drive from Milton Keynes to Reading via London, I would expect that to mean M1-M25-M4 not via Charing Cross in the centre of town.
I disagree, London is NOT M25, it IS Charing Cross or somewhere else in the middle of the M25 circle (you could make an argument for Buckingham Palace), but no way is M25 London.

Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly as it stands the use of "City or City Centre" as a method of adding a waypoint to either an itinerary or by "Travel Via..." to an existing route is not working as it should when "Fastest route" is selected.
If you use "Shortest route" then the route takes you to the point the TT has determined as being the centre of the location selected.

Rather than just sit back and accept this fault I have decided to raise the issue with TomTom and have reported this as a bug with the software. I will of course post back if/when I get a response. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: