Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newby to all this
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newby to all this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
labbats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: newby to all this Reply with quote

Hi all,
First of all i should mention that i'm new to the gps world,but find it very interesting.
I just purchased the VM x-790(not sure if this is a t model or not) with 6.6.0 Navigation(build 42)
As i was registering i found out(old news i guess)that VM is not supporting this brand after 08.
Oh well sucks to be me:D
But i do have a few questions about software upgrades.
Can i, and should i upgrade to VM's 7 version and with that do i have to start from 7.0.2 version or something to that effect.
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am VERY doubtful that you will get anywhere, but, if they are still answering the phone, I would see what VM support have to say. If they offer any hope, you could check the VM threads here to see if there's anything relevant.

Version 7 came out as the "New" range of products, unit, software and maps. I do not know if the unit itself was the same specification as the earlier V6 version such as yours, so can't be sure whether V7 could be installed successfully.

V7 software itself was system AND maps, I'm fairly sure they have to be the same, not mixed, ie V6 software/maps or V7 software/maps.

So you can't apply V7 patches unless you have the full version installed first. I don't know where you will get this without buying a complete "New" V7 unit - as I suggest above VM may say this is the only safe way to do it anyway. They are sometimes available on ebay (but maybe you got this there Question Confused ) but if you get to that stage you're much better advised to go for a current manufacturer's satnav anyway.

Basically, I think you can get some experience with your VM 'as is' and then think where to go later. I remember from these forums that V6 was not ideal, so you can expect considerable improvements if you do change - you would then find a lot of information here to help you decide what to get.
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can upgrade from version 6 to version 7 software - I did this without problems. Deepfour, who used to work for VM and also provide lots of helpful advice and comment in this forum, kindly sent me a copy after I submitted a long list of issues with version 6. I'm sorry, though; I have no idea where you would get a copy of v7 software now. Did you buy the satnav new? If so, it must have been very old stock - maybe you could go back to the vendor and see if they have any v7 DVDs also?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: