Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.300 to 8.301 or 8.320 problem (help)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.300 to 8.301 or 8.320 problem (help)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: 8.300 to 8.301 or 8.320 problem (help) Reply with quote

Hi,

Just connected to home and it installed and updated the OS to 8.301

Home then asks you to disconnect and then reconnect the device so that the new OS can be installed.
I did this, yet the same message appeared.
I then reset the device using a staple, yet the same message appeared
In home I have no map options to download, and the application states that 8.301 is on my device, but when i run the thing the device tells me its 8.300

What should i do?

Last edited by Scainer on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget 8.301, restore your backup, check to see that all is OK, then follow this link and go for 8.320 instead.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74244&start=0
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting weird....

After doing the 8.320 manual install i started it up and the device still says 8.300

I reset using a pin and the same thing.
Restored to defaults and the same thing

Any other suggestions?

I am trying to restore an older backup then will attempt another update
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you need to clear the flash memory:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6178&Lid=1
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went back to 8.010, then did the 8.320 install and it worked.

I think the 8.301 update must have fubar something or other.
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that we are all waiting for TT to update the .DLL file for TomTom Home to be able to use "Operate my Go" when using 8.320
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a memory card inserted to the device when you were doing the update? - if so it is quite possible the update has installed to the memory card rather than the Flash Memory.
An x20/ x30 or x40 can boot up using software on the memory card OR flash memory, it will use the software on the SD card by default if it is loaded to the card - Mike
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
An x20/ x30 or x40 can boot up using software on the memory card OR flash memory, it will use the software on the SD card by default if it is loaded to the card - Mike
Mike, are you saying that a person can copy the entire contents of the flash memory to a memory card and that it will use the contents of the memory card first.

Interesting idea to save on read/writes to the flash memory that cannot be replaced. It is a lot cheaper to replace a memory card.

Does a person also need to remove the contents of the flash drive for this to work?

I also think I remember reading however where a person loaded a higher navcore to a SD Card to test it and it transferred from the SD card to the flash memory.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malouff wrote:
Mike, are you saying that a person can copy the entire contents of the flash memory to a memory card and that it will use the contents of the memory card first.

Yes, you can do this, the TomTom looks for a memory card when it first boots up, if it then finds the application on the memory card it will use this in preference to the one stored on the internal flash memory.

Malouff wrote:
Interesting idea to save on read/writes to the flash memory that cannot be replaced. It is a lot cheaper to replace a memory card..
I don't see this as an issue, the built in memory doesn't get written to often enough to wear out the memory chips.

Malouff wrote:
Does a person also need to remove the contents of the flash drive for this to work?.
No, you can share maps/ data/ mp3 files etc spread across both the built in memory and the SD card. I quite often have different versions of the Navcore software installed to each location - if I want to use version "A" I install the memory card and boot the unit, it will use the software on the memory card. If I then remove the memory card and boot the device it will use the version "B" installed to the Flash Memory (Dual booting is a term you will find in the forum that is referring to this process).

Malouff wrote:
I also think I remember reading however where a person loaded a higher Navcore to a SD Card to test it and it transferred from the SD card to the flash memory.
The device cannot copy the software from the memory card to the Flash Memory, the only way it is possible to overwrite files on the device is with a connection to the PC - the TT Home software is an easy way to mess up the memory contents by updating the wrong memory location which is why I never use it for software updates - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: