Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuMaps Guarantee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuMaps Guarantee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Garmin nuMaps Guarantee Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comGarmin's nuMaps service was announced at CES and brings a latest map guarantee to all purchases of a new Garmin nuvi or zumo.

Purchasers are now eligible for a free map update (where a later map exists) at any point within 60 day of first use of the unit. The activation date is taken as the date the unit acquired its first GPS fix.

You can check eligibility by visiting this page and entering your device serial number.
hpnhoj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,this is my first post.I don't normally bother with forums but i wanted to make an important point about the free map update.You will only get the free map update if you activate it by getting a gps fix AND drive with it.I didn't drive with mine so the free update didn't appear on the website.It was sorted out by Garmin customer service quickly.According to them you have to drive with it BEFORE you register it on their site.This prevents it from being activated if it is demo'ed in a shop.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's actually quite clever as we have had complaints about TomTom devices where they have been demo'd in the store and hence activated as far as TT were concerned. So Garmin's implementation does at least resolve that issue!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have the unit over 20 mph for 30 seconds or something like that.....

However also NOT having had a lock at all can mess things up too, esp if it's taken from the box and plugged in to the PC before it can get a lock.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new map update service is all very well but i don't see the point as they haven't bothered to update the software on my NUVI 310 with the new features, at least Tomtom allow you to update the system software. You will have to buy a new unit before you get access to new features!! Give it a year or so and those who have just bought a NUVI 765 will be in the same position as me now, why should i bother to buy a new Garmin if they don't update the software??
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do. Free lifetime traffic in North America was introduced for the 7x5 series. Then offered to the older nuvi models using TMC traffic within weeks. When MSNDirect rolled out new services for the nuvi 8x0 series last year, Garmin within a month offered it to the previously released 7x0's. Just again this month, MSN added even more features. And again Garmin made the offering available to the 2x5's and 7x5's, no additional charge of course. And now Garmin has come up with a new routing feature included with the just-released nuvi 8x5 series called EcoRoute. A very well thought out option that tracks petrol usage and offers route selection based on fuel consumption, EcoRoute has been included with the recent firmware updates for both the 2x5 and 7x5 series. Over the past year or so they've been quite good at offering new features and updated software for existing models. From HotFix/InstantFix to traffic to abilility to send Google and Mapquest destinations wirelessly and remotely to your pnd, I think Garmin has done quite well making new features available to existing models. Now throw in an excellent lifetime map subscription program and twice the LMG of TomTom and they look very proactive to me. TomTom doesn't offer all the features of the 940 to the x20/x30's. And all the features of the x20/x30's weren't offered to the x10's or XL's. I don't see that TomTom and Garmin are so different in this area, except that Garmin is becoming much cheaper to keep up to date than TomTom lately. Inexpensive map update program (that includes North America), free traffic, lifetime MSN for less than the cost of a single TomTom map update. . . Almost seems like the two companies have switched places the past year.

Note to mods: My apologies for veering a bit from the topic, but just wanted to respond to those who feel Garmin never offers new features to existing nuvi's , but TomTom always makes new developments available to all the previous models. Not valid, IMHO. End of rant. . . Thumbs Up
spacerunner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ive puchased a new 765t and can find no way to get the free map update.

I've registered and fired up the GPS and driven, but still Garmin only offer me a lifetime subscription or a 'onetime' update.
Am I missing something on the Garmin site?
GolfSierra
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 205WT at the weekend. Went for a drive, registered online, no free map upgrade offered.

Phoned Customer Service (in UK this is on 0808 238 0000) and they are sorting it (once they receive my email with a scan of the receipt).

Doesn't seem like a very robust system. The 15 mins on hold indicates there are a few people with problems.

Edit: only a few hours after I emailed my receipt, they had fixed the problem. With technical products there will be occasions when elements don't work. A good company resolves these issues quickly - well done Garmin.

If you have this problem, email a scan of your receipt, the unit serial number and a brief description of the problem to productsupport@garmin.com This should save a long phone call.
spacerunner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jumped through the same hoops as the previous poster.

Three days later(!) I have finally got the update download to work!!
After trying to download the 3 Gigabyte update 8 times using a series of 4 PC's I eventually managed to get the software onto my hardrive.
Then the extraction process continually failed, reporting a corrupted file. Seven attempted extractions later I was finally ready for the updating process,
AARRGH!! Sorry your device has not been updated!!

Second attempt worked, I'm ecstatic!!!

Remember the 3gig download takes 3.5 hours each!! the extraction can take another half hour and the actual installation can be another half hour.
I'm knackered, hassled and tired, but I do have an updated 765t!! Laughing Laughing

PS Turn off anti virus ( not easy with Mcafee Twisted Evil ). Use Internet Explorer, I had problems with Firefox.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue where I had to email my receipt. The download was available the next day, it downloaded, extracted and installed first time.

Firefox, Mac Pro. Sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: