Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Corrections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Corrections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigelmuskett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Map Corrections Reply with quote

Hope this makes sense
Taking an example of roads as below

A - - B - - C

D - - E - - F

2 roads AC and DF are connected by road BE and according to Tomtom maps all open but now have the road BE shut at the junction B and accessed from only from E.

What is the correct and best map correction to highlight this change?

If it is no southbound traffic then it will route traffic out of the junction northbound.

If no southbound and northbound then can you get into the road from E? or is it a case of using no left and righthand turns to prevent all options at B.

Nigel M.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been moaning to TomTom about this exact situation ever since MapShare started.

Around my way, blocking roads (often half way along) with gates, bollards, flower beds etc. is the most common sort of road change, but MapShare's so-called "block road" does nothing of the sort - stopping traffic flow in one or both directions is *not* the same thing.

When MapShare first came out, you couldn't even do an instant "cannot turn left/right into..." correction, so I bet there were a LOT of incorrect "block road" reports made.

At least you can make those corrections now, so in this case I think a combination of "No left turn" and "no right turn" corrections from road A-C is the best solution.

What we really need is for TT to allow a change that puts a barrier across a road at a certain point.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
At least you can make those corrections now, so in this case I think a combination of "No left turn" and "no right turn" corrections from road A-C is the best solution.
I think you would have to have "No left turn" and "no right turn" corrections from B-E to A-C also.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly true! Not Worthy
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy/Richard,
I don't have a version of software that supports map corrections, so excuse the question. If you submit these changes, as suggested, what happens if you actually want to navigate to an address in BE Street? What would happen if the obstruction/fire break/flower bed was 1/3 of the way up or down? Could you not end up trying to make a large delivery, on the wrong side of the obstruction? Getting to the other side sounds reasonably easy, but if this is to choke up a "ratrun", parallel streets may well have been blocked too!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's "Block" road correction actually only allows you to flag the road as impassible to traffic in one or both directions:

Obviously this is no good on a road with a gate at one end (which is the most normal way they close roads around my way). It's regrettable that many users will just use this option without realising the consequences.

The "Change turn restrictions" is a bit better, and does the trick if the blockage is at the end of a road:

The problems with that are firstly that it takes two or three corrections to mark just one blockage!
And secondly, that it's still possibly no good if the gate or whatever has been put in the middle of a road.

TT really need a new option in MapShare to put a block at a single point on a road, but I'm not sue the mapping can actually cope with that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: