Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using SD card on TomTom without Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using SD card on TomTom without Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Using SD card on TomTom without Maps Reply with quote

Sorry if everyone already knows this. Just thought I'd share something I found out today that surprised me.

Having upgraded the navcore app on the internal memory in my TomTom 920 I decided to install the original app on a 1Gb SD card I had - primarily so I could play around with some add-on games etc that will not work in the new app version.

Of course, there isn't room on such a small SD card to install the proper maps, so I just put the Guam map on the SD card and no other maps.

What surprised me is that my Western Europe and North America maps still worked! It must be picking them up from the internal memory even though its booting from the SD card.

Good news - I can try different versions of the app and various add-ons now without having to buy a new SD card.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a map on the SD card for it to work, only the application. When an SD card with the app on is present, the TT boots from the card. But to use a card you don't need the app on it - you could, for example have mp3s on the card, or extra different maps. Sure, you want to try other stuff using the older app, so what you're doing is fine. But it would be really worth trying to find a couple of pounds to get a bigger SD card to give yourself loadsa room to play with - with a 4 GB card you could shift one of the bigger maps (NA or EU) onto it to leave more space on the internal memory too.

In my own case, I have 920 with older app and map of Europe internally (USA map taken off completely and saved on my PC hard disk leaving about 2GB free) and on external 8GB SDHC card I have app 8.300 and map 815.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Using SD card on TomTom without Maps Reply with quote

apwood wrote:
What surprised me is that my Western Europe and North America maps still worked! It must be picking them up from the internal memory even though its booting from the SD card.

Only the ONE models were restricted to either internal memory OR SD card operation. All the others can mix and match. SD takes priority if an OS is installed but access to maps etc on the 'other' storage area remains available.
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find one problem. After booting from the SD card and using the map in the internal memory, when I then took out the SD card and rebooted from the internal memory, it lost all my settings, favorites, home location etc. Is this normal?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're seeing the problem correctly (map location, boot location, etc)? Settings live in a file called Mapsettings.cfg (Edit) - in the map folder. The TT creates a new one if there isn't one, so beware you find the right one from a backup copy and copy that file into the relevant map folder. A working file (with Home location, favourites etc) would be say 15KB, a newly created one about 1KB.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think it's simpler than that.

You haven't said exactly what software versions you're trying to use, but I suspect you've got something like v8.3 on the internal memory and a v7 on an Sd card?

If so, the MapSettings.cfg file formats are incompatible, so it will fail to read the file and will recreate it from scratch.

You might be able to install the same map in BOTH places (with a big enough card) and make sure the system looks at only the right map for each version, but my internal memory died terminally just as I was about to start experimenting with that.
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P you're spot on. that must be what happened. I did have v7.x on the SD card and v8.32 in the internal memory.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Other side effects of OS 8.3? Reply with quote

That's interesting, so OS 7.x will run latest maps 8.15? I hadn't realised that.

The only benefit I've found so far of OS 8.3 is the better voice recognition when inputting destination, you can say "yes" instead of having to use your finger.

I'll have to get an SD card now and try the old OS.

I don't seem to have stuttering voices but I did notice that maps seem to be more jerky when driving.

I have noticed that the light sensor seems very odd, giving me night time maps in pretty good daylight, and the backlight flickers at a predictable interval. Admittedly my model is a refurb - has anyone else noticed these problems with 8.3?

Apwood, have you noticed any other benefits of using v7.x on the SD card? Any disadvantages, other than not being able to access your favourites created by 8.3?

Cheers
Colin
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm using v710 maps. Have been testing functionality of the v8.32 app and separately tesitng some add-ons using my old v7.x app. With app v8.30 / v8.32 I've noticed various improvements but have been told these improvements started in v8.10.

Note I intend to upgrade to the latest maps soon with my latest map guarantee and take out a map subscription, just waiting for another 11 days in the hope that the new map comes out by then.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wise Apwood. I'd be a bit miffed too if a new map came out a day after I'd updated! Just so long as you remember to do it...

I've been trying to find out where to download v8.1 or anything before v8.3 but haven't found the location. Has anyone got a link?

Will maps 8.15 work with OSv8.1, v8.2 etc? And were the fluctuating backlight, turning off randomly not a problem with those version?

Cheers

Colin
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
I've been trying to find out where to download v8.1 or anything before v8.3 but haven't found the location. Has anyone got a link?

Will maps 8.15 work with OSv8.1, v8.2 etc? And were the fluctuating backlight, turning off randomly not a problem with those version?

Cheers

Colin

Various previous software versions are in Oldboy's archive HERE

But don't assume there will necessarily be an 8.1, 8.2 etc. For a list of all the ones I know of , see HERE

Maps v815 won't work with those versions you mention..

If I remember correctly, previous v8 versions *didn't* flash the backlight when white text on black background messages were on screen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If I remember correctly, previous v8 versions *didn't* flash the backlight when white text on black background messages were on screen.

Correct this "feature" was newly introduced with 8,300 Wink - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: