Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one adding own POI file problem :-(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one adding own POI file problem :-(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leighfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Tomtom one adding own POI file problem :-( Reply with quote

Cool Hi,

I have just treated myself to a new TomTom one (Europe maps) V3 from Halfords. I had my palm top running the Navigator for years and loved it.

Well I was really pleased with the new one till I found that I could not update my own POI files, not being able to add to my own files is a pain!!!!

Have I missed something, if anyone can help I would welcome the advise because this problem is gonna really annoy me.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere and thank you if you can help, if not let me know how I complain direct to TomTom because I have previously been singing their praises.

Thank you.
mda1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I upgraded from the V1 to V4 at Christmas.

I use to keep a list of places as POI rather than favourites, just because it kept the list neater. On the new v4 there is no way of creating your on POI on the unit. I managed to transfer my old one across but could not add any new ones to it.

I managed to get round the problem by downloading a free application (sorry can't remember what it's called) which meant I could edit the existing file (or create new ones) on my PC and then copy them back across.

Not as simple a solution of adding them on the unit but at least I can still do it.

Marcus
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom one adding own POI file problem :-( Reply with quote

leighfire wrote:

Well I was really pleased with the new one till I found that I could not update my own POI files, not being able to add to my own files is a pain!!!!

Have I missed something, if anyone can help I would welcome the advise because this problem is gonna really annoy me.

Well, I am new to TomTom myself, but in looking at the Manual of your model it describes how to install your own POIs on page 24. Do you have a copy of the Manual? If not, you can easily download a pdf copy - just Google "TomTom One Manual" Wink
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 720, Manage POI, Add POI and you select a poi category (your own custom ones are then shown) in which to add the new poi to.

My firmware is 8.204.
mda1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
On my 720, Manage POI, Add POI and you select a poi category (your own custom ones are then shown) in which to add the new poi to.

My firmware is 8.204.

Don't think I have the Manage POI menu. Old V1 had it but not my new one Crying or Very sad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm .... your Preferences ARE set to show all menu options?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the newer TomTom One devices are supplied with a crippled menu system, the full POI options are not available and neither is itinerary planning. The trick used to be using a custom menu on the device to recover at least the full POI options - but I am no longer sure this works having never tried it with the newer One units - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom one adding own POI file problem :-( Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
leighfire wrote:

Well, I am new to TomTom myself, but in looking at the Manual of your model it describes how to install your own POIs on page 24. Do you have a copy of the Manual? If not, you can easily download a pdf copy - just Google "TomTom One Manual" Wink

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong version of the TT Manuals. The correct version (three) is here http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/one3rd/refman/TomTom-ONEv3-en-GB.pdf
from which you will see there is no information about adding your own POIs from which I assume it is NOT possible. Embarassed
leighfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the comments, to clarify.

I have a poi folder called Leigh (that I created), I used to be able to add locations, ‘browse map, zoom in to my current location, options, add to poi,' then next time I could find the location rather than have lots of favourites.

This is not available with this combined unit, I believe it is just from V3 onwards.

Yes I have a manual and have checked the option is not there.

Anyone help??? Please :-)
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In the manual linked in previous post
On page 20 it says
How many favourites can I create?
You can create up to 48 favourites, if you want to add more than 48 we suggest that you make some POIcategoies and add some of your favourites as POIs.

Mike
leighfire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I want to sort them into different folders.....
48 is not enough if i cant add them to my folders.

There must be a way!!!!

Please.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leighfire wrote:
There must be a way!!!!

I think the only way is to return it to Halfords and exchange it for a device that does do what you want.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a custom menu on the device to see if that offers the missing functionality you desire? - Mike
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you read what I said "if you want to add more than 48 we suggest that you make some POI categories and add some of your favourites as POIs. " So why not make up your own categories of POIs, you can make as many as you want its just favorites that is restricted to 48. You can put as many POIs into a folder as you want.

Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- - YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - -

The SDK registry files do work on the ONE v4 (30 Series) using App 8.010

You can get the poi menu back but loose other things like HelpMe as they are not supported in the SDK.

A quick trial using the code below seems to work OK.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Page 1|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES||"Find Alternative"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|

To create the file for your ONE just open a new Notepad on your pc. Copy and paste the code above into it and save as: TomTom.mnu (case sensitive)

Now connect your unit to your pc and using Explorer (not TT HOME) create a folder called:

SdkRegistry (case sensitive)

on the root directory of your unit. Open that folder and copy and paste the TomTom.mnu file into it.

Disconnect unit from your pc via SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE icon on the taskbar.

Your unit should reboot and the new menu should work. This is just a very basic menu to show that the poi menu still works. I will not post any other code here, if you want to use more menu features you will have to find the original TT SDK, but the newer units don't support many of its features.

To return to your units original menu, just connnect your unit again to your pc and remove/delete the TomTom.mnu file. Disconnect unit from your pc via SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE icon on the taskbar.

- - YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - -

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: