Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't delete large file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't delete large file
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to deleted it totally by fluke tonight so thought i'd share it.

I was in the process of uploading a file which happened to have the same name as the one that was stuck in the memory and half way through the upload I realised that I was uploading the wrong file, so i hit cancel and what ever had uploaded to that point seemed to override the large file and then it let me delete!!!!!!!!!!!
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
I managed to deleted it totally by fluke tonight so thought i'd share it.

I was in the process of uploading a file which happened to have the same name as the one that was stuck in the memory and half way through the upload I realised that I was uploading the wrong file, so i hit cancel and what ever had uploaded to that point seemed to override the large file and then it let me delete!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you've really got me pulling out what little hair I have. Why did it allow you to start overwriting the file when previously it wouldn't allow deletion and gave you the error message
Quote:
SatSYNC does not allow the deletion of large map files (.map) as these are irrecoverable

Overwriting is effectively deleting, if you overwrite a map file it's gone just as effectively as deletion.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how it happended. Although know is after I hit cancel the file size reduced to about 200kb and then i assume it was below the size that Satmap is programmed to prevent.
daveweth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10

You have PM
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe already answered, but it occurs to me that updating (changing) a file is NOT necessariy the same as deleting (removing) it. Even if satmap are protecting an important file from accidental deletion, they may well still allow updating it (which obviously does physically result in deletion of the old version once the new one is in place).

So it may be just a matter of setting up any replacement (small/null) file to reduce the file size below the size limit, so that a full deletion can then be done.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Maybe already answered, but it occurs to me that updating (changing) a file is NOT necessariy the same as deleting (removing) it. Even if satmap are protecting an important file from accidental deletion, they may well still allow updating it (which obviously does physically result in deletion of the old version once the new one is in place).

So it may be just a matter of setting up any replacement (small/null) file to reduce the file size below the size limit, so that a full deletion can then be done.

No, unfortunately that doesn't work, I tried it. The only way was to upload a file with the same name and then hit cancel half way through the upload, that did the trick - no rhyme or reason to it though

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: