Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL v2 GB Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL v2 GB Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Ohh - I hope another comes out within 30 days then.
(speaking of which, when does the 30 days start? - my 520 should arrive early this week - should I not register it to the TomTom account for a bit to try and ensure I get the next one?)

That's odd about the XL map..... the 30 day guarantee said I had the latest map but then when I went into Add Maps, it popped up saying the map was 1 quarter old and tried to sell me the subscription thing - when I added it to the basket to see the cost, it had added £4.95 for an update and then £19.80 for a subscription....the map version it was showing was: 725.1883.

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my map version roundup HERE
Quote:
v725 - Sept 4th 2008 - Build 1882 Released alongside v8.10 maps (see below) for all models apart from the x20 and x30 series. Based on the April (2008.4) Tele Atlas release.

As v8 maps needed v8 software, they bought out a v7 map version using the same date of data, for models which couldn't use v8 software at the time.

In Home, another one of it's little "features", is that if you are running v7 software, you only get offered v7 maps.

As for the "30 days", the automatic system starts counting from the first time you attach your TT to your computer and log into Home.
BUT... if the automatic update fails for whatever reason (which is not that uncommon), and you have to contact TT to get it sorted out, then the first thing they will ask for is a scanned copy of your purchase receipt, so *they* will go from the date you bought it.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Oh... so it only had v7 of the software on? - how come it said it was up-to-date and didn't download v8 of the software?
(or don't the one devices get v8?)

Will the 520 i've ordered either come with v8 or be upgradable to v8?

Thanks

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, currently the original "One" and the "One New Edition" can still only use v7 software, but the "One Third Edition" and the "One 30 series" (the latest ones with the new Easyport mount) and BOTH the "One XL" and the new "XL 30 series" can use v8.

In all probability, the 520 will come with v7 software and maps, but you will definitely be able to update to v8 for both.

Make sure you back up fully (using Windows Explorer, not Home).
Then update the software FIRST (using "update my device" in Home), before you try using the LMG (from the Tools menu at the top). Otherwise you will be offered a v7 map again.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, will do - thanks.

I assume the backup via Windows is just in case anything goes wrong with the update?

The One is an XL v2 with the new mount so wonder why it said the software was up-to-date and didn't offer me v8. Oh well - it's on ebay now anyway Smile

Ian
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I got the XL sold on ebay and the 520 just arrived this morning (I thought it would have come quicker at £10 postage but I called yesterday to see what was happening and they said they were out of stock and had been told it was discontinued but had then got some more back in so it was getting dispatched that day).

Do you think it's safe to assume the next map will be released in the next 30 days or do you think I should hold off connecting it to the computer for a bit to ensure I get that latest map? - you said above the last one was 11th Nov - how precise are they at hitting the 3 month cycle?

Thanks

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
how precise are they at hitting the 3 month cycle?

Not very, but getting better.

I would hold off for a couple of weeks at least.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ok, thanks.

Is there any easy way of finding out a new map has been released in the meantime, or just look at that thread you posted above?

Thanks

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to keep checking with the LMG, but that defeats the object of trying to avoid logging on!

I don't have any "inside information" to compile that list, I just trawl the forums for reports that people have been offered it (or have bought it), then I hassle them for details! Twisted Evil

So basically, if a new map is released, you'll probably hear about it on the forums first!
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

ok, i'll just hold off connecting for now and have a look in a few weeks.

If you do remember this thread when you hear about the new version then please do post :-)

I assume connecting the TomTom data over mobile wont count as a registration and it's only connecting it to the PC and TomTom Home that's the problem?

Thanks

Ian
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there no sign of the new map yet?

So much for their quarterly update service??

It's a few days away from a month since I ordered the 520 so I thought I better connect it to the computer in case there were any problems and they went back to the order date like you mentioned above and I missed out on the latest map guarantee.

If I click on latest map guarantee, it says their is a new one, but it doesn't give me a date or a version - how can I tell whether it's the November 2008 one or a new one?

I hope a new one will come out before my 30 days are up (is there any way to confirm when the 30 days will run out? - dont want to miss it).

Thanks

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30 days will start from the date on your invoice/ receipt, don't let it go past 30 days though in case you have problems with any update.

1/ Make sure the software is up to date (currently v8,301)
2/ Go for the LMG on day 29 if you get v815 Maps they are from Nov 08

A couple of points - make sure you do a full Windows Back Up BEFORE you mess around updating the device.
If you get a map newer than v815 using LMG then treat it as a bonus, if you get v815 then its still considerably newer that what you have on the device.
To check what’s installed on the device tap the sat strength meter, then tap the version box, the resultant screen will show you Navcore software version, map name/ version etc - Mike
silversurfer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you say dont let it go past the 30 days on your invoice for checking for new maps , but when does the the 30 days start on the device , ie when its turned on , when connected to pc/ tthome or over a certain speed when using it.
thanks
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did a windows backup before updating and I now have 8.301 and map 715.1703.

I was under the impression that the LMG was 30 days from the 1st time you connect the Go to the computer and registering it in TomTom Home, which was last night? - is that correct or does it go from when I bought it? (it's 30 days since I bought it on Tuesday) - but how do they know when I bought it?

Is there any way of getting TomTom Home to tell you:
a) when the LMG runs out
b) what version it's going to give me?

Thanks

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, You should the following on the device if you have used the LMG after updating the Navcore software:

Navcore Software v8,301
Map v815.2003

Clearly what you have got is incorrect so I would give TomTom a ring in the morning 0845 161 0009 they will want a copy of the sales receipt sent to them via e-mail or fax to prove the purchase date - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: