Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 765T FM Transmitter Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 765T FM Transmitter Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 765T FM Transmitter Problems Reply with quote

My brand new Nuvi 765T with latest software update (3.00) has major FM transmitter problems. Unlike my last (replaced) Nuvi 765T (software version 2.80), the latest version will not "lock" onto any frequency for more than a few minutes. Awaiting reply from Garmin USA: Garmin UK reply is "await next software update in 8 weeks". Any similar problems?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

My 765T picks up traffic ok - if you can see the green sysmbol in the middle left screen you are receiving traffic. The traffic coverage always has been patchy. Is yours set to auto find??

Incidentally - where did you get a unit with firmware 2.80 on as 2,50 was the last public release.

Also, what made you replace the unit? Was it subject to random shutdown and uncommanded reboots that seemed to affect many with firmware 2.50?
alwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 765T FM Radio Transmitter Problems Reply with quote

No problems with traffic info: the issue is with listening to the Nuvi over the car radio loudspeakers. In between announcements, after initial quiet, loud static is heard, whichever frequency is chosen.

My "old" Nuvi 765T was replaced following irritating and persistent random shutdowns: software was - as I recall, after web update - 2.80.
Chinster1957
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Alwin. They have done something to upset the FM transmitter in ver 3.00. Either it switches itself on and off randomly, or its drifting off the set frequency and back on again. At the moment it is totally unusable.

I have also experienced a random shut down on ver 3.00. It did not reboot and was tricky to get it to switch back on again.

Overall I'm not impressed and quite honestly wish I was back on ver 2.50.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just posted this lot in response to a question about the FM Tx on the 765T:

Have you tried it while the device is also playing mp3 tracks? - even if you install a recording of total silence and play that, it should get rid of the noise when it turns off the FM Tx. Out of interest what software version is installed to your device?

I am not 100% sure but this is possibly in response to a recent change in the law (European Union) which has banned FM Transmitter devices from transmitting intermittently, a continuous sound is fine - hence my suggestion to play "silent music" TomTom recently removed the capability to use the FM Tx for the navigation instructions for the same reason.

The best option in terms of audio quality is to use A2DP Bluetooth to send the sound from the unit to the car, this does require a compatible car deck, but doesn't suffer from any of the interference issues that plague FM
- Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car has an aux audio input socket use a 3,5MM lead to wire the audio output from the device.

If you can use the Bluetooth for car audio you should try it as it is by far the better setup.

FM Tx, if this is your only option and you cannot alter / change the car stereo then an FM Transmitter plugged in to the aux output socket on the device, this will work fine and to be honest makes a mockery of the law, you would never be caught transmitting at such low levels in a moving car - straight bananas were one of the last "gems" this lot insisted on.

Another option for those living in areas with very crowded FM bands such as Birmingham or London is the FM Injection unit. The injection box is connected to the aerial wire and takes the 3,5MM audio output from the Sat Nav and modulates it on to the FM aerial wire so the car stereo can be tuned in and used to play the music/ navigation instructions. The big plus point with the Injection unit is that while in use the normal car aerial is switched out of circuit, thus preventing any bleed through from radio stations transmitting on the same frequency you want to use.

These Injection boxes used to be sold by Maplins, but they have sadly stopped listing them, however CPC have a few to choose from:
One £18:23
Two £33:73
Three £46:60
Four £44:86
Chinster1957
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried your idea of using a silent mp3 and it has fixed the problem for me.

Originally I placed it on an SD card but found then that the unit would not connect to the pc properly for updates and camera updates, so I have now placed the silent mp3 on the actual unit.

Many thanks for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the silent mp3 track would work as it is going to keep the FM Transmitter busy thinking its doing more than it actually is, I guess technically it is also breaking the silly EU law, but you would never be detected using such a device in a car - At least you have the option to do this with the Garmin, the method TomTom have used is to disable the FM Tx option completely from the menu for the Navigation voice - Mike
alwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a "silent" mp3: but gulp! Where do I begin, both to "load" a silent mp3 and then how to "use" it? Grateful for any help.....
Chinster1957
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a silent mp3 on http://www.mediafire.com/?yed2rvjaenh

Press the download button on the website and save the mp3 file (5min-silence) onto your computer somewhere.

Then copy it onto your NUVI using drag & drop.

Power up your NUVI and select Tools - Media Player
Browse for the file. Press the play and repeat play buttons.

Job done.
alwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most grateful, will attempt the process later but doesn't sound too difficult!
alwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, Chinster, it works! How clever!
Hecsim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Nuvi FM transmitter problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I spoke to Garmin today and the FM carrier is turned off on the 765T after 20 seconds. This is to comply with European law.
No need for silent MP3's, just fill your card with the MP3's you want then play them on repeat and turn down the volume in the Nuvi 765T MIXER.

Hope this helps.

Hector
nickpike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Tom Toms do this shutting off procedure?
I spent a lot of money on this unit, and playing mp3s is messing I don't expect to do (that's a moan in case Garmin check these forums)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the latest software on the TomTom you can only play music via the FM Tx, there is no option to route the navigation instructions via FM Tx as they removed the option from the menu - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: