Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Share Update Idea
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Share Update Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mda1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Map Share Update Idea Reply with quote

I have no idea if this would be technically possible or not but I think it would be a great addition to map share.

If you came across a road which is not on your map you could click a button on your device and then as you drive along the road it would "draw" it in. You could then edit it for the type of road (A, B, motorway etc) and then it could be published via map share.

As I said, don't know if this would be even possible, but it would be a great way of keeping maps up to date.

What you think?

Marcus

PS Copy Right Me Laughing
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. GPS averaging may be an issue but once multiple people had driven the route this shouldnt be such a consideration
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be totally wrong here and would welcome clarification but ....

I thought any map we use is really a bunch of gps points put on there by TT/TeleAtlas and 'overlayed' with lines (i.e, roads) to make it appear like a map.

As one travels an existing road, it is the existence of gps points (meaning, lat/long values) that allows for the 'tracking' of the vehicle we are in.

If that is true, I'm not sure how a line being drawn as we travel a new road will allow for the creating of all these lat/long points such that we can send up the info as a mapshare to be dl by others. I just don't think there is the processing power in our units (not to mention, required storage requirements) to allow for it.

As I said at the outset, I'm probably wrong......however that never stopped me from shooting my mouth off before. Cool
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - I believe the original poster was probably thinking along the lines of recording a tracklog - like most GPSr units do - and submitting this to MapShare. This would not be too onerous on the internal processor but the user would have to remember to stop the log at the correct point.

A pretty neat idea all the same.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea ... BUT ...

My device wouldn't do it! Remember, it is setup to lock to the nearest road, so when you drive down the side of a field, your device still shows you on the road until you get so far away it starts to feel lost and sits in the field telling you to hike across there.

It would be something of a problem to implement (well, for TomTom it would be beyond them to implement!!). Only today I drove across a roundabout which had been redesigned, so it doesn't quite match the map. Imagine me MapSharing that correction together with all the zillions of others from all the rest of you. MapShare corruptions are enough of a nightmare already without adding more. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yep, it sure would be.....

But from TomTom's point of view, would probably cut into new map sales, since new roads or configurations would now be able to appear on older maps.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the old TomTom Navigator 3 you could record your GPS track as an NMEA file and download it. This file showed exactly where you have been and was not "snapped to road" as it was the actual output of the GPS data. You could take your TT on a walk and it would show the exact track when exported to another program such as the older versions of Memory Map Professional.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which was when the user had the capabilty of 'unlocking' the unit so that one could go off a known road.

That 'unlocking' ability is long gone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: