Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap for £249.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap for £249.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Global Gizmo Reply with quote

goon525 wrote:
And since we know that people at Satmap read this forum, they might want to reconsider whether Global Gizmos are appropriate retailers for their excellent products!

When I had my problems with them back in Jan 2009, I spoke to Satmap because I wanted to check if my supposedly new Satmap had been registered before. They were not surprised by the poor service from Global but the matter has been referred to Satmaps director for further investigation.

If they no longer wish to speak to their customers on the phone this is a sure sign that service levels have dropped to an all time low.

I have still not received my delivery refund from Global and expect to win the lottery before this happens.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Just a quick update.

The Active 10 and handlebar mount arrived Friday. The power pack and 1:50k UK mapping is arriving later Sad

Still it will give me a bit of time to see how it works.

I can recommend Footsteps. Great service - I rang Monday to ask when I could expect my powerpack and mapping, I was told they were waiting delivery but confidently expected it would be with me on Thursday - it all arrived on Wednesday. So now it's working OK. Only think that's puzzled me so far is the warm/hot start seem slow. I turned it on with the North UK mapping in (to find I've been moved to South UK Shocked here in Cheshire). So I powered down, replaced the card and powered up. It had locked to 7 sats before this but it still took another 3 mins to get a fix from the restart - even though it had 6 bars showing in the status screen. Will have to see how it performs over time.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed 3 comments from the User Guide which may be relevant (apologies if I seem to be in egg-sucking mode Smile ):

Section 1: contact Satmap if satellite locking takes 'much longer' than 2 minutes;

Section 4: locking "best results" with 'GPS Status' page displayed;

Section 12: locking is quicker before the map card is inserted;
briman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for Footsteps. Ordered the Unit, full UK Map and powerpack for £404 on the 13th Feb and it arrived yesterday. Great item, took me a while to set up and initial lock took a while, but that may have been being inside. Outside and in the car it locked on within two minutes at the very most. Accuracy seems pretty good on 1:50k map. will have to try and find a 1:25K map of Snowdonia for a reasonable price somewhere.
Initial impressions are very good in comparison to Garmin etrex Vista HCx and Fujitsu Siemens Loox N500.
I'm off to Snowdon in mid April, so that will be it's first real outdoor test.

Cheers,
Bri
adewar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Avoid Global Gizmos like the plague Reply with quote

I recently ordered a Satmap and accessories from GLobal Gizmos. They quoted 5-7 days delivery. But after 5 days I got a terse email saying "due to unforseen circumstances we cannot fulfil your order, please speak to your credit card company to obtain a refund". I have dealt with bad suppliers before but Global Gizmos are despicable. I re-ordered from www.outdoorworldltd.co.uk whose price was equally keen and it all turned up after one day.

I am going through the process of getting my money back from Visa, but why should I. Surely Global Gizmos should offer me a refund if they cannot fulfil my order.

Under no circumstances would I every buy from Global Gizmos again, avoid them like the plague!!!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No consolation, but you are far from alone adewar - see
Quote:
AVOID - GLOBAL GIZMOS
. As you say, it's difficult to see why you should go to Visa when the company just doesn't perform - it's their liability. But they seem so dreadful, Visa will probably be quicker in the end! (I'd still probably try to get the refund from GG first, which is what Visa might say anyway). It looks more like sharpish practice than just complete incompetence.

In my experience, the good companies tend to take your money at the time of dispatch, not before.

I hope members on here have taken note of all the recent disaster stories, and DO steer well clear of GG.
AshleyBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some Satmap maps from Global Gizmos on the 8th Feb with 2-4 working days delivery. I paid by Visa using Google Checkout.

On the 13th I sent a message via Google asking when I would receive my order.

Having had no reply by the 16th I asked again.

Then having no reply by the 17th I asked again.

On the 23rd I got an email from Google Checkout to say my order has been canceled - Item out of stock - your card has not been charged.

So I guess I'm lucky but why does it take 3 weeks to find out an item is out of stock when they quote 2-4 working days delivery Mad

In my online research into this company I found a telephone number 01942 719161 but I don't know if it still works.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briman wrote:
another vote for Footsteps

And another recommendation for Footsteps.

Ordered Satmap + Full GB + Bike Mount + Power Pack on Monday, received on Thursday. Excellent service.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With other suppliers having no supply problems, you can't help wondering if Global Gizmos are being hit by the recession and having financial problems.

Whatever the reason, wouldn't it be helpful to our members to have a mention in the weekly newsletter? I guess GG can't be specifically referred to, but the more people realise they can get very useful supplier guidance (good and bad) on here, and are reminded where to look, the better. It saves several people giving their warnings, only for others then to write in, clearly having been unaware of the info.

An alternative (I can't see one there at the moment) would be to have a prominent entry for suppliers in the 'GPS Forums' page.

JAT ...
sham63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another victim of Global Gizmos here. I ordered a Satmap unit at the end of January and stupidly paid by Debit card (Meastro) because they wanted to add 2.5% for credit cards at checkout.

Haven't received the unit or a refund despite numerous emails which go unanswered.

The website is still active (and still endorsed by Bear Grylls - shame on you!) The only positive thing I've noticed is that the checkout stopped working about 2 weeks ago ( supposedly due to a 'technical fault' ) so for the time being no one else will get caught out. My guess is that they will cease trading soon.
I'm really angry because it's alot of money I can't afford to lose and because I didn't pay by credit card. If I did I'd probably have my money back by now.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad news. Although it unfortunately won't help you sham63, by the sounds of it, I hope you won't mind if I suggest a link for VISA debit card users to look at, just in case any of them have also been affected
Quote:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#debitcard
which gives details of the (weaker) protection that may be available in these circumstances.
AshleyBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sham63 wrote:
Another victim of Global Gizmos here. I ordered a Satmap unit at the end of January and stupidly paid by Debit card (Meastro) because they wanted to add 2.5% for credit cards at checkout.

Haven't received the unit or a refund despite numerous emails which go unanswered.

The website is still active (and still endorsed by Bear Grylls - shame on you!) The only positive thing I've noticed is that the checkout stopped working about 2 weeks ago ( supposedly due to a 'technical fault' ) so for the time being no one else will get caught out. My guess is that they will cease trading soon.
I'm really angry because it's alot of money I can't afford to lose and because I didn't pay by credit card. If I did I'd probably have my money back by now.

I've sent an email to Bears's management company, MF Management, telling them of this company's actions.

Here are some more comments on this company I've found:
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/ri/26789/Global-Gizmos#tab-fragment-retailer-reviews
themib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC Watchdog?
sham63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Gizmos have gone into liquidation. The Liquidators have published the accounts and they owe over £220,000 but only have assests of £12,000 (including an estimated £10,000 for the domain name !!!) so only £2000 really. One of the Directors has the cheek to claim he is a creditor (claiming £6000) - the whole thing stinks. They blame the 'economic downturn' for going bust but the online reviews mentioned by other posters indicate the company was run by incompetents. I don't think anyone will get anything back.
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mightily relieved I got my stuff out of them, albeit with plenty of hassle, before they went tits-up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: