Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice Please - Which SatNav to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please - Which SatNav to buy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NataliaD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Advice Please - Which SatNav to buy? Reply with quote

I've read pages and pages on this website and am now a new member as I need your advice!

I thought I wanted a TomTom 730T but my husband now thinks it may have a lot of extra features that we just don't need so I'm hoping if I list what we need someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm a new driver so want to be come more confident driving around on my own so I'm looking for something that is easy to use, generally consistently reliable and can get me around the south east of England. We may want to go to Europe in the future (hence why I originally wanted the 730T) but probably not this year (2009), I thought the Advanced Lane Guidance was a great idea but I understand this is really only on major intersections like M25 - husband reckons this feature isn't worth the extra money as the only motorway driving I'll probably do is to Bluewater and the massive changes are probably not on any of the systems anyway!

I liked how the 730T had generally good reviews in comparison to Garmin and other TomTom's but at around £200 on Amazon its a whole £100 more than the TomTom One/Go etc. Is it worth paying extra now to get Europe and not use it for a 1-2 years or just get a UK model and upgrade when necessary? Which UK model is the best? Easily upgradable? Does Garmin do a better UK version?

The only experience I've had with SatNav is seeing my mother's Garmin Nuvi constantly searching for signal and being home before it actually kicks in - which is why I'm overly paranoid about buying the right one.
Sorry for the longwinded request but hoping one of you experts out there might advise me. Thanks!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say look for a Go 720 or 730 if you want Europe mapping or a 520/530 if you only need the UK and Ireland. They are very good models and are being sold very cheaply now the x40 range are out.
They can be upgraded for free to the latest software and maps, and they also have an SD card slot if you want to add extra maps at a later date, which the One models don't have.

Otherwise, if you do opt for a One model I would recommend one with a widescreen (i.e. the "TomTom XL" or the older model "One XL".
Comet are doing an exclusive "XL" with added text to speech at the moment, which is normally only available on the more expensive Go models.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I'd be looking for is the text to speech option. It will help you navigate better as you can be told "In 300 yards, Turn left, High Street" and "Follow A66 for 9 miles". Worth paying extra for. Beyond that, make sure you have an SD card slot, and buy UK only for the moment. You can always buy European maps later, and put them on SD card. That way they will be up to date when you need them, and not have to pay for an update.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I think what I'd be looking for is the text to speech option. It will help you navigate better as you can be told "In 300 yards, Turn left, High Street" and "Follow A66 for 9 miles".

If you can hear it for the stuttering and missing words!!!! Wait until/if tomtom get their finger out and release software that is more usable.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Text to Speech Reply with quote

Bullterrier you are being harsh, the TTS ton my 540 is absolutely fine, except for odd quirk with "R's" It doesn't stutter and is quite accurate, I actually use the Male Computer Generated Voice.
All right Bullterrier I have suffered with TomTom in other ways but with TTS NO. Very Happy

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't have problems on my old 910, and doesn't on the 740 I have now. Sure, if there is a specific issue then it wouldn't be so good, but that applies to all features really.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently added another 520 bought from www.handtec.co.uk
it was a TomTom refurbished unit, in other words as good as new in my opinion, and cost only £99.00 + delivery.

It came with 7.221 firmware and 715 maps, I upgraded the firmware too 8.300 then used the LMG to update the maps to 815.

For all intents I know have a 530 at half the retail price and no issues with stuttering thus far.

Om my current unit with western europe maps I did suffer the stutter problem which has been cured with firmware 8.204.

Hope that helps you decide.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: What voice problems! Reply with quote

The TT730T I am selling (for sale/wanted) has the latest software/mapping and has never had voice problems. And Lane Guidance works on the M27 very well!
Doug
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
matthewj wrote:
I think what I'd be looking for is the text to speech option. It will help you navigate better as you can be told "In 300 yards, Turn left, High Street" and "Follow A66 for 9 miles".

If you can hear it for the stuttering and missing words!!!! Wait until/if tomtom get their finger out and release software that is more usable.

I'm with you here. Buy a Tomtom and get a new hobby - getting it to work!
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NataliaD I would focus on Andy_P's advice here. When you have the machine come back to the forum and we'll help you back up the software on the unit and then update it with the latest software and maps. It's not diffilcult and would make the unit much more useful to you. My own recommendation would be to go with the 720 or 730 (europe maps) or the 520 or 530 (uk maps). For the type of drving it sounds like you do I wouldn't worry to much about the T version with the traffic reciever. As you have to stick a long ariel around the windscreen of the car to get it to work. If it's a similar price I suppose it may come in handy for the longer journeys but the arial isn't best known to always work reliably.

If it helps the european maps cost £70 seperately. So if you want them, can get them for less than that when you buy the unit and don't mind driving with maps that are how ever many years out of date when you do go to europe then go for the european device from the off. Otherwise get the UK one and pay the £70 if you want to later, (at least you would get fresh UK maps then as well). Mind you its no massive hardship driving on maps a couple of years old, most people don't renew their road atlas every year!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4GVB
Quote:

Really don't understand remarks like this as I have the 730T and I have never had a problem with it! Only selling as fancy a Navman for a change!
Doug
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
G4GVB
Quote:

Really don't understand remarks like this as I have the 730T and I have never had a problem with it! Only selling as fancy a Navman for a change!
Doug

I have had nothing but trouble from my 720 since I got it. And tomtom support is a joke!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is for very one disatisfied owner, there are another nine who are probably happy we never hear from!
I have had many types of GPS systems from Navman, Garmin and TomTom and they are all much of a muchness! I find that Customer Service standards nowadays are pretty poor - you would think in a recession they would want to keep me as a customer! Apparently not with Navman's answer to my "does the S80i have TTS" of "Not really sure".
Doug
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor NataliaD, you must be totally confused by now, but I would advise you not to take too much notice of the negative comments. My Go 720 is just fine and if you can get one you can update it for free when it will be virtually a 730 but at a cheaper price.

Tomtoms are still by far the best devices around even though TT support leaves much to be desired. But, in the unlikely event you get any problems, someone on the forum will almost certtainly be able to help you sort it out.

Two essential bits of advice though.

1. Before you do anything else to the device make a complete Windows backup, not a HOME one. Instructions are in a sticky at the beginning of this forum along with a lot of other information; and

2. Always make sure you click eject or safely remove hardware before you disconnect it from your PC. Failing to do this and disconnecting while files are still being updated is the major cause of corrupting the software.

Whatever you decide to get, you will find it an incredibly useful device to have.
NataliaD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice - Help still needed! Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone that responded, we decided to go with the 530 and just received it from Amazon today. I have to admit to setting up some about 8 favourites before plugging it in to the computer (I hope I haven't wrecked it!) but as soon as I had plugged the cradle into the machine and then attached the 530, when it went looking for the driver it said "Driver not found - Failed".

Not sure what to do next - would appreciate any advice!
Thanks again
Natalia

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: