Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 Map Freezing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 Map Freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: 540 Map Freezing Reply with quote

Have had a 540 now for a little over a month and generally been OK. Live services, IQ navigation etc have all been fine.

However in the last few days the map has taken to freezing while navigating i.e. the voice instructions continue as normal but the map and display just stops dead and nothing changes. Last night I suddenly realised I was within 2 miles of my M-way exit when Kate spoke up but the map said I was still 5 miles away. This has happened 2 or 3 times and a simple tap on the screen and then tap on 'navigate to' seems to reactivate the display.

I have tried the 'reset' option by holding down the on/off button for 20 seconds but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

Has anybody else seen this or does anybody have any thoughts around this?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen this on the TT units but I have seen this on my PDA version and this was usually caused by a badly edited add on POI file. I also saw this once when the memory had a file error and cured this by running chkdsk/f on it as a drive from within windows command prompt.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having experienced the same problem a few more times I have now run the check disk command and the report indicates no problems found.

Has anybody else experienced this? It was only when I reached the back of a traffic jam that was supposedly still 9 miles ahead earlier this week that I realised the screen had frozen again.

It's easy to fix when it happens, it's just it should never happen in the first place........
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen 3 times in the month that I've owned my 540. Once, I didn't have a route planned.
The entire display freezes - map stops moving, time and speed display don't change. I switch off and back on, and it carries on as normal.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had similar but it only lasts for around ten seconds and this seems to be when a large traffic update is downloaded and it is being processed. The screen eventually unfreezes and the little black info box appears similar to "300 incidents total distance 450 miles". I don't know why I should want to know the total distance of holdups in the UK, I am only bothered about the total distance of delays on my route.

The other issue which is the opposite is the first time I use the unit after a mapshare update I have no sound at all but the map works. Turning it on and off (15 second hold button) again clears this.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I switch off and back on, and it carries on as normal.

I don't think it is necessary to do this, just tap the screen anywhere in the map view and tap on 'Navigate to' and it will "re-activate" the screen.

It's odd because the vocal instructions continue as if nothing has happened but the map has frozen and stuck - in some cases it has been up to 10 minutes before I realised this but you can't constantly be checking the screen to see if it is refreshing the whole time.
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
Quote:
I switch off and back on, and it carries on as normal.

I don't think it is necessary to do this, just tap the screen anywhere in the map view and tap on 'Navigate to' and it will "re-activate" the screen.

It's odd because the vocal instructions continue as if nothing has happened but the map has frozen and stuck - in some cases it has been up to 10 minutes before I realised this but you can't constantly be checking the screen to see if it is refreshing the whole time.

I actually find it easier to locate the power button (by touch) than to locate the soft buttons (by sight, then touch) while driving.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: