Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question re 540
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re 540

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Question re 540 Reply with quote

I'm getting a GO 540 tomorrow to replace my trusty 300 and wanted to ask about transfering items to it.
1.Are POI's in the same format/ folder location?
2.Can I transfer the ogg speed camera voice files (I assume the 540 still has sounds only)?
3. Are voice files the same - I especially like John Cleese which was bought for the 300 - will TomTom have made this device specific?

Also, can the Home application cope with more than one device as my wife will be inheriting the 300?

Thanks a lot.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIs are the same.

I think there maybe some variations in ogg files but all are available from here. I am not sure as I no longer use them.

The x40 has text to speech capability which I use in preference to the ogg files.

I am not sure on the John Cleese as I have not tried moving him across as I want the computer voice that reads street names.

You can use multiple devices on Home (I do) but you must have a different email account for each device and disable the remember my password feature to prevent it logging in the wrong email account.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re 540 Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
I'm getting a GO 540 tomorrow to replace my trusty 300 and wanted to ask about transfering items to it.
1.Are POI's in the same format/ folder location?

Yes
Quote:
2.Can I transfer the ogg speed camera voice files (I assume the 540 still has sounds only)?

Yes if you are continuing to use our database?
Quote:
3. Are voice files the same - I especially like John Cleese which was bought for the 300 - will TomTom have made this device specific?

Same format but if you purchased the voice from TomTom I think they are device locked, no harm in trying though.
Quote:
Also, can the Home application cope with more than one device as my wife will be inheriting the 300?

Yes but you would need to register the new 540 using a different email address.

Before you let your 540 anywhere near HOME ensure it has had a sat fix and data connection to the TomTom servers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other minor point, I would fully backup the device using Windows Explorer BBFORE you do anything else with the unit, if you don't know how to do this have a read of FAQ #1 on This Page - Mike
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - most helpful - I would prefer to use speed camera Pocket GPS database - do I just disable the TomTom POIs? Does text to speech work better than using the ogg files? Thanks again.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our speed cameras, the ogg files are (in my opinion) better than the text to speech computer voice, because they are recorded human voices. However good the computer voice application, it's never going to be as good as a recorded human voice.

One thing with text to speech is that you have to get the text right to produce the result you want. "Warning 60mph Gatso ahead" may come out very differently from how you write it. Others have found themselves inserting extra commas, spaces, full stops etc to get the slight "pauses" and/or "italics" or "bold", which you would speak automatically. The recorded voice contains those pauses, etc, completely naturally.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both the TTS and OGG methods for camera warnings and I now use the OGG files all the time as they are much quicker in time taken to set them up, having to type in the full "Warning GATSO ahead, speed limit is 30 miles per hour" or similar for each camera category (over 30 times if you add in the pMobiles) can take quite some time.

The file that stores these settings cannot be edited on the PC for the spoken alert settings and a map upgrade sometimes means you cannot use the old MapSettings.cfg file in a new map, then you have to type the whole lot back in from scratch....... Choice is yours and it depends how much time you have available. A full setup using OGG files takes me around 5 minutes, using TTS can take more like 20 minutes - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rename my PGSW files to new names such as:
50 mph mobile camera.ov2

Set the warn near POI to brief announcement and TT comes up with the spoken warning in the selected computer voice:

"50 miles per hour mobile camera 250 yards"

I do not have to write any text or add any ogg files and I like the sound of the computer voice and the distance to camera announcement.

I had to write a batch file as there are about 30 ov2 files that need renaming every release. The only issue is when a new type of camera is added or removed such as mobile variable speed camera (not that I have ever seen on of those).
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help. I now have the 540 and so far it is working perfectly (using PGPSW database and ogg files). It is a big improvement over my 300 in all respects and I was relieved that all the live services have worked seamlessly. The HD traffic has saved me on one occasion so far, but I was disappointed that it seems to ignore the A414 before and after M11 junction 7 at Harlow, as this is part of my daily commute. Is it unreasonable to consider this a major road and is it just likely that coverage will slowly improve to include this?
lyghthouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same just got a 540 to replace my 300. The HD traffic never picks up the A49 traffic by M6 J23. Its a pity as the traffic service on my 300 usually picked this up.

How hard would it be to merge the traffic service data into the HD data??
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyghthouse wrote:
How hard would it be to merge the traffic service data into the HD data??

It must be very hard for TT as this is supposed to happen and it seems that this process is not fully working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: