Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - repy from tt on voice stuter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

repy from tt on voice stuter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have raised 4 problems with TT since getting my GO920 in June. Three have been fixed and the only one that could be called "open" is the one relating to stutter and GPS lag.

TT have offered me a fix for the stutter and GPS lag problem (v700 voice) that appears so far to have worked. I have a long journey next week - Colchester to Amsterdam and back - so this should be a good test, especially with some of the Dutch road names CoPilot

I am not totally happy with having 4 problems in 6 months, but the additional functionality and improved calculation speed my old PDA/Navman Sleeve/TT5 solution does make it worthwhile.

However, even if you have found a fix for a problem from this forum, report it to TT so that they can appreciate that there is a real problem Wink
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
However, even if you have found a fix for a problem from this forum, report it to TT so that they can appreciate that there is a real problem Wink

I agree - and I agree with Dennis though in that I have no faith in TT actually providing me with a fix. It takes a lot of effort to get TT to actually recognise that some problems even exist in the first place - such as the fact that RDS-TMC never worked in Navcore 7, I believe a thread on this site eventually made them sit up and take notice.

I have a support ticket in "Research" status with TT regarding the voice stutter and lag, I even advised them that the v7 TTS appeared to be the cure some months back. This week (on the same ticket) they have come back to me with the response of download Kate v7.10 and give that a try. Laughable really, it just proves they don't even read the support tickets.

Anyway rant over - let's hope the new maps in a week or two bring a new Navcore to match and all of the bugs are magically fixed!

Andy
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Steveee wrote:
Andy, I want TT to support the fix. If I had a subsequent problem that required me to return the unit under warranty, having installed a non-recommended solution, they probably would not help or claim I had caused the problem myself.

The easy way around this issue is to dual boot the device, this involves putting the new (8,320) application on an SD card, leave the 8,300 application on the device memory.
With the SD card inserted the unit will boot from the card, without the card it boots from the built in memory. If it all goes wrong and you have to send it back to TT simply remove the memory card - they will never know.

Mike
I have tried a version of this on my 520
1. Deleted everything from internal memory(after making backup)
2. Put everything on 2 SD cards, one for the car with mapshare etc, one for the lorry with my own mapshares(ie roads not for lorries)

The trouble is if I set the car card up with car icon and connections for my phone and the lorry card up with a lorry icon and connections., neither card will keep its settings eg Using the car card car icon working everything ok - remove card insert lorry card, lorry icon has gone back to blue arrow, so set everything up again. When finished turn off, remove card put car sd card back in and this has now reverted to blue arrow. I have checked all the files to ensure they are not read only and the slide is in the unlock position. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

TIA

theripper[/quote]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
this has now reverted to blue arrow. I have checked all the files to ensure they are not read only and the slide is in the unlock position. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
It happens to my GO920 every time I connect to that blasted program TT Home, just as the miserable Lane Guidance and Reality Views come back too - I lose all those three settings every time. It's less certain that I lose my computer voice, bit random that one.

Here's a new one. GO 920, with App 8.300 and Map 815 on 8GB Peak SDHC card. When I Browse Map it looks like this (no colour and no POIs) ....

And when I tap Options on that screen, I get this ....

I've been tearing my hair out to make it behave and today stumbled on the "cure". I connected the 920 to PC, but had the card out, stuck in my card reader. I still got the offer of connecting internal or external and selected external. I then used Win Explorer to look at the SDHC card with my card reader and copy today's new database release to it. When I later disconnected, I got the usual reset of car, ALG, Reality View and Voice, but it now has started working on Browse Map again. I'm really hoping the next App and Map will sort this out. But I'm accustomed to being disappointed. Maybe in the x50s? They've got to be out on Beta by now!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your map colour and POIs back is easy Dennis - just un-tick "Traffic"

The Traffic map uses a different colour scheme and they decided there was too much detail to display all at once, so disabled the POIs and Favourites if you are showing Traffic.

Better to leave Traffic OFF on the Browse Map page and only access the Traffic map by tapping the Traffic bar and selecting the map from there.
That should allow you to keep your normal map settings (unless Home screws them up again, of course!)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. I was just about to come back and post that it hadn't cured after all. Explains why it worked inside the house but not in the van. Annoying is that I can't correct it until I go out and plug the RDS-TMC antenna in again!

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie TT owner, I have read this thread with interest and have come back to it as this evening, I started to experience the dreaded 'stutter' syndrome. It happened twice as I neared home - the first time, I thought it was my hearing (What?) but the second time I was ready for it.
You can see my device details below.
My maps are v 815.2003
Have owners of my particular device been affected?
What are the comments about an awaited new map about?
Is this just a software problem & would new maps (in theory) solve it?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been looking too closely, but I haven't seen this in the x30 devices? I thought it was just x20s with Application 8.300 and map 815.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
Andy, I want TT to support the fix. If I had a subsequent problem that required me to return the unit under warranty, having installed a non-recommended solution, they probably would not help or claim I had caused the problem myself.

yeah I see that now Smile Smile ...was tired when I wrote that .But you are right they should fix it ... or should have fixed it a long time ago .......
don't like the sound of the stutter returning after a long period either
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the stutters and had slow screen refresh rates on the 930 running the Navcore 8,300 software - its not quite as frequent as you get with the x20 units but the problem can still rear its head from time to time.

Whether a new map will resolve this isn't known, although since switching the 930 and the 720 to the 8,320 unofficial release combined with the latest LoquendoTTS files I have had no problems with either of the devices - Mike
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 730. I hadn't seen him for a while, and when I was telling him about the fun and games with the stuttering and slow maps he said that he had noticed his 730 stuttered a couple of times as well.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
since switching the 930 and the 720 to the 8,320 unofficial release combined with the latest LoquendoTTS files I have had no problems with either of the devices - Mike

Where do I find out more about that, Mike. Whilst I have only experienced the phenonomen once/twice, I shall be looking out for it now and might like to investigate this unofficial realease if that is possible.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee the how to install 8.32 posted by mikealder is on page 28 of the other thread 'problems with 8.3' follow the this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=405[url]
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
Gee-Pee the how to install 8.32 posted by mikealder is on page 28 of the other thread 'problems with 8.3' follow the this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=405[url]

Thank you.Wink
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done Rossendale to Cisco UK HQ near Heathrow and back (450 miles ish and 8 hours plus) with the 920 running 8.300, W&CE 8.15.2003 and no stutter or map refresh/lag problems at all! RDS-TMC was connected as well.

The only difference is that I left the TTS6 voices on the device and then extracted Kate v7.10 into the LoquendoTTS folder as well.

I am seriously confused as to what is causing the issue now as exactly the same set up without the TTS6 voices has map lag problems as well as occasional stutter.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: