Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Navigator 6 refresh rate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Navigator 6 refresh rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: TT Navigator 6 refresh rate Reply with quote

If I had a GPS unit with a 5hz refresh rate would TT6 be able to detect this? ie would the navigation appear to be smoother? I've heard that some software won't accept any greater than 1hz refresh rate. If this is the case it would negate the need for me to buy a 5hz unit.

Many thanks!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen refresh rate is also down to basic processor speed. I don't know how TT6 works but I suspect that if you are sending positional info 5 times a second then it would use this information. However (in true catch 22 fashion) the higher data rates will require more processing - which may slow the screen refresh rate. What device are you using for TTN6?
Reign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just using my Nokia 6120, which apparently has the same processor as the N95. It seems to be a relatively quick processor, though I understand your point regarding the catch 22.

The 5hz units don't seem to be vastly more expensive so I might just get one to try out anyway. Some of them even have programmable refresh rates so if 5hz is too great then I can scale it back to 1 or 2hz.

Thanks for the reply!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly ive got no idea what hz refresh rate I have in my o2 xda, all I know is, that TT6+ works fine on it.

It does run smoothly, and gives poi warnings 99% on time!

It does help to limit the amount of `shown poi`s, but ive got 100 poi audio warnings setup and runs no probs.

Again like everything, it will also depend on what you have running at the same time as ttn6. I usually always have gpssentry running too with no consequence in performance.

MPW
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADMIN: Removed duplicate post
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one who hasnt a clue what my refresh rate is, but I have always found that the refresh rate improved with a faster card, in fact on my old mio168 Sharon even stopped stuttering by fitting a faster 150 speed card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS update rate will have little bearing on the screen refresh rate on a PDA, processor power and card speed are two important issues. The easy one though is to free up the processor so it can work only work on the single task, close all other programs that might be running on the PDA, make sure you don't have lots of POI's enabled as this is the most probable cause of a slow screen refresh rate.

It is possible (at a price) to get GPS receivers that support 5, 10 and even 20Hz update rates, using such exotic hardware with the navigator application on a PDA would be akin to feeding a pig strawberries - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: