Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duplicated Warnings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicated Warnings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Duplicated Warnings? Reply with quote

Using a tt one xl - have downloaded the speed camera database, and have noticed that some speed warnings are giving a "double warning." Have downloaded the "Speed-Zoned" files; there is an instruction at the base of the download page telling me that if some sub-catagories are downloaded then double warnings will result (dont fully understand this instruction - could you explain, do I need to remove some sub-catagories? or use a different download, like the speed-zoned warnings!! Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three different types of download you could have made:

Single file
Consolidated by Type
Speed Zoned

As you now have Speed Zoned on the device this will be in addition to either of the other two types of database that you could have downloaded previously.

Have you used Consolidated by type or Single file versions of the database previously? - Mike
jonf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - not totally sure!! downloaded the database more than a year ago! - could have been the consolidated version? - should I delete totally and re-install (how do I remove the previous - old - download - if this is showing and creating the duplicate warnings).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer to view the files within the map folder on the device, the POI files have a file extension of .ov2

Remove all the ov2 files from the map folder then re-install the database, you won't need to re-configure any warnings but this is the easiest way to get rid of the double warnings.
Just one other consideration do you still have the TomTom Speed Cameras installed to the device? - if so it could be these that are triggering the double warnings, FAQ #13 covers removal of the TT Safety Camera files, click Here - Mike
jonf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...further, Mike have looked into the tt unit (via computer) and have deleted all (most obvious) of the old data (dated when downloaded a year ago) - presume this will now prevent the unit giving me duplicated warnings.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Remove all the ov2 files from the map folder then re-install the database,

Woah! - I'm sure Mike meant to say "Remove all the .ov2 files with "pocketgps" in the name"...
There may well be other POIs you don't want to lose....
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to double up on my camera warnings. And working out whether it is a good thing Razz

Basically I get two warnings a second apart, so if I miss one, I know I can listen to the next !!

I assume to remove them I have to remove and reload the OV files for the cameras to get back to normal.

Out of interest, I assume that the sound is attached to an OV file and concattenated as each new setting is added.

ALSO

Is there a limits too :

1)how many pois. (I have a Continental camp sites on a autoroute file with about 3000+ camp site locations)

2)poi catergorys (Mainly UK and EU Speed cameras ( 22 UK cams + 33 Eu cams Plus some odds and sods like French supermarkets etc)

3) and pois+Ogg files (Cams as above)

the unit will work with ?

The unit is TT XL IQ Routes Live

I have taken a look around the search engine for the site, but varioius threads give differing answers, which I assume is down to the software improving (or not as the case maybe Question )

Rgds
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

169 Custom POI Categories, each category can store tens of thousands of individual locations. AFAIK there isn't a limit as to how many POI categories can have an OGG audio fille associated with them - Mike
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I was interested in how the TT managed to get two speed warnings attached to the OV or Ogg file.

I did some calcs and worked out distances that would give me 17 seconds warnings, then reworked them giving a 15 second warning.

Obviously the differning distances are translated into the warnings, Out of pure interest I was wondering how TT stored the information. I would have thought that the first entry would have overwritten by the second update.

Obviously not.

Does not keep me awake at night but would be interested if anyone has the answer.

Rgds
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:

I was interested in how the TT managed to get two speed warnings attached to the OV or Ogg file.

I'm afraid there is no way that the TomTom can produce two warnings for the same POI.

So I think the only thing that can have happened is you've got two different POI files with the same locations in, both with warnings assigned.
Could it be the TomTom-supplied database as well as the PGPSW one?

Or more likely, you've got more then one copy of the camera database installed at the same time. For example the "speed-zoned" AND the "consolidated by type", or the old "single file" version.

As these have different file names the new version won't have overwritten the old. Check all your "PocketGPSWorld..." files ending in .ov2. Assuming you are using the "speed-zoned" files, there should be:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var.ov2
(8)
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
(7)
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_tba.ov2
(7)
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
(1)
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2
(7)
=30 total

However, if you ever installed one of the other versions there may be some old files from "Consolidated":
pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
(5)

or "Single":
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2
(2)

Some people have deliberately achieved "double warnings" by installing TWO copies of the same version of the database, but to do that you would have had to manually re-named all the files for the second set.

TonyIshUk wrote:
I did some calcs and worked out distances that would give me 17 seconds warnings, then reworked them giving a 15 second warning.

You could have saved yourself the work! Smile
There's an often repeated distance/time chart on the site.
One place you can find it is in the Camera data install instructions for TomTom (HERE.

However, the quickest and easiest way that many people use is to just add a zero to the end of the speed for fixed cameras, so for a 30MPH camera you use 300yards, etc. This gives about 20secs warning for all speeds. Double the distance for mobile sites.

TonyIshUk wrote:
Obviously the differning distances are translated into the warnings, Out of pure interest I was wondering how TT stored the information.

The TT either automatically assigns a sound file that has exactly the same name as the data file or it just stores a link between the POI category name and the sound file name (Models with text-to-speech can also use that to create the warnings on the fly, based on either the file name or your own typing. These links and the warning distances you set are all stored in a file called MapSettings.cfg, which also contains your Home location, recent destinations and several other settings.

TonyIshUk wrote:
I would have thought that the first entry would have overwritten by the second update.

Obviously not.

As above... If you download a new update of the same version of the PGPSW camera database IT WILL overwrite the earlier version (as they have the same file names).
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the time spent in replying to my query. I have not had time to have a play with the TT and see what I come up with in response to your suggestions.

I will reply later, thanks again.

Rgds
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a "Whoops" and "Doh" moment

I had loaded two sets of OV files into the map folder.

I found that the ogg file names were too long to be read on the TT screen when alocating distances so I shortened them and then shortened the OV file name to match twice. (Twice !)

I use a great little freebie utility at:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Its great little tool especialy if you have a load of camera photo files to rename / re number / anything !!

Thanks for your assistance,

Rgds

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: