Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom RDS-TMC - May be posting incorrect data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom RDS-TMC - May be posting incorrect data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom RDS-TMC - May be posting incorrect data Reply with quote

In summary - Tom Tom Go XL with RDS TMC - Traffic highlighted a closed road months ago - and its never cleared. Support had me rebuild it numerous time, switch off mapshare, clear it yada yada yada and still the road is closed. Contacted RDS supplier and they are adamant they are not transmitting error. Tom Tom latest answer is we cant come up with an answer. Provided pictures etc etc

Bottom line is that you may not be able to trust Tom Tom Traffic RDS-TMC
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the location as others might be seeing it on their devices which would point the problem back at iTIS (the data supplier), or if possible post a screen shot of the incident on the web site (if you don't know how to do this e-mail the screen shot to me and I will put it in your post, you can then use the edit button to see how its done for future) - Mike
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road closure is not there when nothing connected and no route planned
Road closure is not there when route planned with no RDS TMC
Road closure appears soon after RDS TMC plugged in

Have email from Itis say defo ot them
Now have same from Tom Tom saying its not them

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting one, but only users of the RDS service located within around 150 miles of Glasgow/ Edinburgh will be able to comment on this one as RDS-TMC data is fed regionally.
I doubt its the TomTom though as they don't save any traffic related information such as closed roads etc on the device at all - Mike
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the same on my old Garmin Nuvi 350 with rds. Its the trafficmaster data thats at fault and its been stuck ever since the road was closed for flooding late last year. If you look at the traffic information on http://www.trafficscotland.org You can see it there too

It does keep the road quiet for me getting home though Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cannot be Traffic Master that is at fault as the TomTom devices cannot receive data from Traffic Master - I wonder if this closure is still be listed by the Highways Agency (or Scottish Equiv) and being automatically included by Traffic Master and iTIS as they both have access to this source of information:

- Mike
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched my garmin to itis data instead and get 'Road closed due to flooding' on the info. I can do this as I have a debug version of the traffic receiver Smile

Looks like its the old flooding data thats still stuck Sad

I'm just glad I have hd traffic now
summer68
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so annoying that everytime i plan a route via the edinburgh city bypass (which is often) that i get this reminder. How difficult can it be to remove this warning. I am waiting to get caught out the next time this road floods as I will ignore the warning tmc gives.

On a second note heading from the bypass to the M9 there had been an accident on the M8 spur before you hit the M9, but TMC reported the accident further up the road passed the M9, this not alerting me of problems ahead. Only to find myself stuck in a jam for 20 minutes with no warning.

How reliable is this???? In principle its a great idea but in the real world its crap.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I receive this closure on my tt go 520 even down here in newcastle using the tmc cable. Always gets me when i travel to falkirk or montrose. Thankfully i know just to ignore it and continue along the A720

iPhone 12
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solobay wrote:

Have email from Itis say defo not them
Now have same from Tom Tom saying its not them

Having read through this thread, can you get back to TomTom and tell them that whether the problem is with them or not, it's their responsibility to fix it (or get it fixed)? You don't have a contract with iTIS, but you do have one with TomTom (when you bought the device, they agreed to provide you with the traffic information). If they can't get it right, then something needs to be done about it, and they should be discussing with iTIS why it keeps getting reported incorrectly.

I'm no lawyer (so don't take these musings as fact, but it might be an approcah you could take), but isn't it a similar situation to when you buy a device that turns out to be faulty, and your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer?
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already done - no point in buying a service if data on it is uselss - how many people are taking the road closed as gospel and needlessly diverting

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: