Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 760T. Old camera locations still show.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 760T. Old camera locations still show.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewdwork
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 760T. Old camera locations still show. Reply with quote

Maybe it is me, but I have a Garmin Nuvi 760, and originally downloaded the free Garmin camera database. I then decided to go with pocketGPS and download the new database regularly.
I have disabled the "Show Garmin speed camera" option in POI and removed all previous POIs before loading the new database.
I was on the M18/M62 yesterday using the last December database of 2008, but it still shows the 50MPH SPEC cameras that were removed around last Septemeber over the 5 or so miles from M18 J6 to the M62 interchange.
There are also various other false calls showing, such as after the A163/A614 junction, Northbound on the 614 throws a 40MPH mobile warning for about 2 miles in a derestricted area.

None of the anomalies I have found appear on the "submit new cameras" map, so presumably these have been removed from the database.

Have I failed to remove some previous data, or is there a way to get a fresh start with the 760, like reload all the software or do some form of master reset?

Garmin's instructions are a bit sketchy about the actual operation of the device other than for general use.

Incidentally I have sometimes lost speech on this unit. It just vanishes and I have to re-select the voice from the otions list as there is nothing selected on the set-up screen.

Has anyone else had this issue with the 760?

Any help would be appreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have I failed to remove some previous data

1) Can you double check the Garmin Database is unticked? Tolls, Settings, Proximity Alerts, Untick Garmin Safety Cameras.

2) It should be impossible to leave old data on the unit as POILoader wipes out all Custom POIs before adding any new ones, however you might want to check you don't have any rogue files in the folder on your PC where you store your POIs prior to upload.

3) Plug the unit into your PC and carefully look for a folder Garmin/poi and copy any files you see there (should be *.gpi - usually poi.gpi) to the PC then delete them from the unit. Also check the SD card if you have one inserted.
andrewdwork
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that instant response, PaulB2005.
Quote:
1) Can you double check the Garmin Database is unticked? Tolls, Settings, Proximity Alerts, Untick Garmin Safety Cameras.
The Garmin Safety Cameras had become checked ON again. Is there any way of stopping this permanently? It may be that when I check for new software, the Garmin system does it automatically. I have turned this off at least four times.
Quote:
2) It should be impossible to leave old data on the unit as POILoader wipes out all Custom POIs before adding any new ones, however you might want to check you don't have any rogue files in the folder on your PC where you store your POIs prior to upload.
I always make a new folder for each update, unzip into that, and load from there, hopefully avoiding stray old files.

Quote:
3) Plug the unit into your PC and carefully look for a folder Garmin/poi and copy any files you see there (should be *.gpi - usually poi.gpi) to the PC then delete them from the unit. Also check the SD card if you have one inserted.
I did not realise that I could do that, but
I have now done it.

The old file was headed "pocketgps" amongst the gobledegook.

It has been replaced by another file, presumably the latest version when I just updated. The new file is slightly larger (799KB vs 749KB)

I will see what happens now.

Many thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: