Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XL Europe 22 - Need to find 83mb!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XL Europe 22 - Need to find 83mb!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XL Europe 22 - Need to find 83mb! Reply with quote

HI everyone. This is my first posting, so I am hoping that one of you "techies" can help someone out who has no idea of how to find some additional space to add my downloaded 127mb Eastern Europe map to my Tom Tom XL.

I currently have the Western Europe map installed and updated leaving me (according to my Tom Tom Home) of 45.9Mb of free space. I need to run the Western Europe and the Eastern Europe map in conjunction with one another as I regularly cross into Poland from Germany.

I recently downloaded the Eastern Europe map and now realise that I cannot slot the two maps onto the same device at the same time! There is no memory card slot on this model so I cannot even upgrade to more memory. Its driving me nuts!

In the "show contents" tab on Tom Tom Home it is saying that total capacity is currently 978.1Mb with the Western Europe Map installed. Free Space is now 45.9Mb, but the Eastern Europe Map is 127Mb and remains uninstalled. How can I delete items to get me enough space to add this map? A friend of mine mentioned that POI's can be deleted giving more space. I never use them so they can go. I only use cameras and maps and am not fussed about much else so the system could be trimmed right down if someone knows how to do this. HELP! How do I delete enough info on the Western Europe Map to allow enough room to fit the E Europe map onboard?? There must be a way. everything can go apart from the physical mapping and camera info. Im not interested in garages, pubs., hotels etc.

Can someone talk me through it please.? Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum:
If you want to remove the built in POI Files simply make a full back up of the device using Windows Explorer (if you don't know how to do this have a read of FAQ #1 on This Page, then go to the Western_Europe" map folder and find the file POI.dat - delete this, depending upon which version of map is installed this should yield around 55MB of spare space.

The contents of the folder "Raster" can be removed, all these files do is give you the green map view when you fully zoom out so they won't be too missed. This should yield around 17MB of spare space.

Voices folder, if all you want are the UK voices then you can save quite a bit more space by removing lots of the foreign voices:

data04.chk and data04.vif are for UK Tim voice
data05.chk and data05.vif are for UK Jane voice
Deleting all the other voices shoild yield around 33MB spare space.

If you do all of the above you should have around 150MB spare space on the device with very little capability lost, for POI files just put the ones you want on the device from this site as they are more accurate and don't take up much space - Mike
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI - Many thanks for that. Ive found and deleted everything bar the RASTER folder. I cannot find it on the list ! Im now only 10Mb short of target.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You reduce the new map size by removing the POI.dat file from the Eastern Europe map.
To gain another 10MB space remove the zip folder but this will remove the postcode search capability from the unit. I am suprised there is no raster folder on the unit though.

This is one of the major drawbacks to the newer products that lack the expansion capability the SD card slot offers on other models, adding other map files is always going to be problematic due to this restriction - Mike
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You reduce the new map size by removing the POI.dat file from the Eastern Europe map.
To gain another 10MB space remove the zip folder but this will remove the postcode search capability from the unit. I am suprised there is no raster folder on the unit though.

This is one of the major drawbacks to the newer products that lack the expansion capability the SD card slot offers on other models, adding other map files is always going to be problematic due to this restriction - Mike

Sorry, yes I was having a thick moment there. I will install the E Europe map then just do the same as in deleteing the POI file. Many thanks for this, I honestly thought I was going to have to buy ANOTHER Tom Tom!! Your a saviour! Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you will find is the POI.dat file in the Eastern Europe map folder is only 4,83MB so that alone won't recover the memory you need.

Within the Eastern Europe map folder do you have the following two files:
cspeech_AUT.dat
cspeech_POL.dat
If so these can be removed to free up another 7,5MB - Mike
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The problem you will find is the POI.dat file in the Eastern Europe map folder is only 4,83MB so that alone won't recover the memory you need.

Within the Eastern Europe map folder do you have the following two files:
cspeech_AUT.dat
cspeech_POL.dat
If so these can be removed to free up another 7,5MB - Mike

Thanks Mike, enough space cleared after deleting the Zip folder. I never use postcodes in the UK anyway, so Im just adding the Eastern European Map as we speak. Assuming of course the unit restarts ok, ....Problem solved!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on and how much spare space there is on the device once you have it running both maps, its a shame having to go to such lengths removing functions and capability from the device to squeeze another map on the unit though - Mike
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm a little niggle - But im sure you can help. When setting a route between the UK and Poland, I cannot get Poland to show up in the countries listings when using the "navigate to" function. Any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because your destination is in the other map folder, you need to plan a route to the border crossing then use Browse Map/ Switch map to reach the final destination.

Non of the TomTom devices can plan routes across a map boundry.

As a tip create a custom POI file on the device in BOTH map folders with the border crossings saved as locations, this makes the selection of a route much easier - Mike
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see - I jus assumed that the maps would correlate into one.

Well many thanks for your help tonight - Im a happy chappy now.
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Let us know how you get on and how much spare space there is on the device once you have it running both maps

There is now only a poultry 1.7Mb's left on the device. I havent deleted the POI's on the Eastern European map though yet.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be worth doing...
If the One's work like the older models, during moments of stress they would use the card/internal storage as extra temporary RAM memory (like the "cache" memory your PC creates on the hard disk).
If you have very little storage memory spare, it might cause ocassional freezes or re-boots.
kittycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
That might be worth doing...
If the One's work like the older models, during moments of stress they would use the card/internal storage as extra temporary RAM memory (like the "cache" memory your PC creates on the hard disk).
If you have very little storage memory spare, it might cause ocassional freezes or re-boots.

I was thinking this Andy, What I amy do is go into the Eastern Europe map and delete the POI.dat file in that map folder as I was instructed to do previous on the Western version. Im sure this would then give the unit a little to play with. What do you think?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the POI.dat file from the Eastern Europe map folder will release a further 4,83MB of storage space on the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: