Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying TT 730T all europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying TT 730T all europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question guys - I tried to register the device but I cannot find a serial number BUT I thought that wasn't required any more. Cannot take the device out of its cradle at the moment as it is still downloading the latest mapping of W and Central Europe. Only a couple of hours to go...I think I saw a serial number on the bottom of the 730.
What do I need an SD card for and how big is recommended?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an SD card for your Eastern Europe map, in addition you can put mp3 music on to it or pictures etc.
If you only need the card for the map get something around 2GB but if you want music on it as well go for 8GB as the SDHC format cards will work very well in the device - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will need an SD card for your Eastern Europe map, in addition you can put mp3 music on to it or pictures etc.
If you only need the card for the map get something around 2GB but if you want music on it as well go for 8GB as the SDHC format cards will work very well in the device - Mike

Thanks Mike. At the moment TT Home has finished downloading the updated maps and is overwriting them on the device. I am curious as there is not SD card in the device, yet all the maps were pre-loaded when I received it - Western and Central (Eastern) !

I would also appreciate your advice on the following:-
In noting that there have been problems in updating the software, what is the recommendation (current version says "App 8.002 (9117/80328) OS: 16445 Maps West & Cent Europe v800.1762)" in accepting the offered software update?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a backup of the device taken BEFORE you did/ do any updates its not going to be a big deal swapping the software versions or using the older map version IF you encounter problems with the unit.

The Current software version once updated is v8,300
The Current map version once updated is v815

The device contains Flash memory and this is used to store the files and folders, the SD Card slot is there for expansion and allows you to put more data on to the device than would be possible with just the built in storage. On the Go-x20, x30 and x40 range the memory card is used to suplement the built in memory so maps can reside in either location and still be accessed by the device.

The maps can be a little confusing there are a number of different map types for the units:

Western_Europe
Western_And_Central_Europe
Eastern_Europe

The Western_And_Central Europe map does cover some of the Eastern sector but not all of it, have a look in the map shop on the TomTom web site to see the difference - Mike

PS It might be time to edit your sig block Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as you have a backup of the device taken BEFORE you did/ do any updates its not going to be a big deal swapping the software versions or using the older map version IF you encounter problems with the unit.

The Current software version once updated is v8,300
The Current map version once updated is v815

The device contains Flash memory and this is used to store the files and folders, the SD Card slot is there for expansion and allows you to put more data on to the device than would be possible with just the built in storage. On the Go-x20, x30 and x40 range the memory card is used to suplement the built in memory so maps can reside in either location and still be accessed by the device.

The maps can be a little confusing there are a number of different map types for the units:

Western_Europe
Western_And_Central_Europe
Eastern_Europe

The Western_And_Central Europe map does cover some of the Eastern sector but not all of it, have a look in the map shop on the TomTom web site to see the difference - Mike

PS It might be time to edit your sig block Wink

Last first, Mike..I have updated my signature block 'cos I still have my Navman That might disappear soon.

The maps pre-loaded on the device are Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and Vatican City.
Also including the connecting roads of Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine and the Russian Federation.
so that should cover my wanderings this summer. Can't wait. (Shouldn't you be in Las Vagas?)
Yes, the first thing I did was do a back-up. You can only do one as each time it overwrites the last one. So I think I will do a back-up of this version 815.2003 on my laptop then I'll have both versions saved.
Touch wood everything is working OK at the moment. Will give it a spin tomorrrow. I just want to uninstall all the other languages at the moment as I guess they will be taking up some space.
Do I do it via HOME or My Computer ?
Thanks again for help ;-)
Graham
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no limit to the number of backups you can make as long as use Windows Explorer, the TomTom Home software isn't the most reliable package for doing this type of work. Have a read through #1 on the FAQ page for a guide as to how to do this with Windows Explorer, the FAQ page can be found Here - you might pick up some useful tips from some of the other pages the FAQ links to when you have some time to spend.

What you should do is create a folder on the PC named "TT730 BackUps" (or similar) and then create sub folders within this to store the backups, this way you never loose any data.

For the initial day01 back up you made using the TT Home software you can still copy this from where Home has stored it to your new backup folder. If you start Home and go to Tools/ TomTom Home Preferences and select the "Folder Preferences" tab it will show you where it puts backups, mine displays:

C:\Users\Mike\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup

Obviously your folder location will differ but locate the folder using Windows Explorer, right click this and select "Copy" now go to your newly created TT730 Backups" folder, right click and select "Paste" this will make a copy of the initial backup into your new folder that the TomTom Home software cannot delete or overwrite.

Next make a new backup of the device by following the FAQ #1 and put the backup in the "TT730 Backups" folder, but this time name the folder you put the backup into with either the date or the Navcore version e.g.

TT730 Backups/Backup (This contains all the files/ folders from as new)
TT730 Backups/8_300 (will contain all the files/ folders from today)

Removal of other languages can be done but do you mean the Text To Speech voices or just the normal voices as these are stored in two different locations - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, Mike. I'll get on to that 1st thing tomorrow.

Quote:
Removal of other languages can be done but do you mean the Text To Speech voices or just the normal voices as these are stored in two different locations - Mike

I understand that there are directions (text to speak) voices in a number of different languages stored on the device and I cannot see the point of keeping all those - I just about speak understandable English, so I certainly don't want Flemish etc taking up the memory. (Sorry Belgium Sad ) I've already deleted all the different US, Dutch, etc other voices - cannot remember their names, but they are gone now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: