Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Newbie question Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I have for a long time been considering buying a satnav, but have always had the impression that its a minefield - created in the most by vendors with a confusing aray of models that are constantly being updated - and because i always wanted us and europe maps - and these never seem to be on special offer - I found this which I bought:-

http://www.boffer.co.uk/blog/view.php?boffer_id=372

So I was wondering if its possible to run navman maps on a laptop with an SD slot and a GPS tx? Also, Do all the ICn series maps work on all the ICN series nav sustems (I see there are some new icm series on ebay for about gbp50 ! (if not then I guess I have a load of spare SD cards !)
Thanks for you help in advance
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are the same format (But changed with each version release - the iCN series went through a dozen or so), but they will not work unless registered with the correct key. Think of it this way - the maps are free, the KEY is where the value lies. The SD cards you bought contain a "key" locked to the SD card, and the particular version and model of the ICN written on the card. You may get lucky and match a card to a cheap second hand unit, otherwise you have a useful, if somewhat small, SD card. You won't be able to move files to other cards and get the maps working.

You canot use the Navman maps on the PC.

My advice is if you don't know what you are doing, stay away from ebay, or be prepared and accept the high risk of being ripped off. There are bargins, but don't say you have not been warned.

If you are prepared to put up with old maps, older GPS technology and older software - then the ICN series is not a bad unit, but it is by todays standards, a poor unit, hence the low second hand value - 50gbp is too much, even for a new one.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be wrong, but those SD cards look to me like those used on the F series Navman. Not that that is much help to you as what Robert says is true, unless you have the key, they are only SD cards. Crying or Very sad
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture the ones that state the iCN 310 ir iCN 330 will only work with those models and mapsare linked to the SD card
The others look like they come from the icn 500 series either version 3 or 3.5, These maps are linked to the hardware ID of the device, so buying an iCN 520 they may not neseccarily work

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: