Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activate LIVE services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activate LIVE services
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnufc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Activate LIVE services Reply with quote

Hi - just got my latest GO device, a 540 LIVE - supposedly with a 3 month free subscription to all of the LIVE services. How do these get activated? I've used a new email address variation to setup a new account, I've logged in to HOME, even downloaded all available updates & map etc.
However, when I use HOME to 'Activate new items' nothing is found/available to activate. If I use the other option 'Activate items on your computer or device' it justs asks for a promotion code.
Anyone else had trouble with this or any ideas??

Sad Question
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got mine last week, I just took it outside to get a satellite fix, then waited a few minutes. Live services just worked.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the device from Home and start the device up, go to TomTom Services/ My Services and what does the device list as available? - Mike
johnufc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for prompt response, mike.
The 'My Services' screen reads -

"Information about your subscription is not currently available. Please try again later."

I've been there before and seen this same message!
johnufc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

additionally......

When I login (on the device) to 'My TomTom account', I get the following message:

"This content was bought for another device and cannot be used on this device. To use it on this device, go to www.tomtom.com and visit the TomTom Service page."

Of course, when I do that I just get a lot of v.interesting info about the wonderful new LIVE service that I can't use!

Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the device actually got a signal to receive data from?
To check this try tapping the sat strength meter (lower right corner) then tap the "version box" on the right of the screen, at the bottom center of the next screen presented is a button labeled "Network" tap that and see what it says.

Status should be "Connected"
How many bars are showing on the signal strength meter.
All four items of blue text should have information against them:

MCC/MNC 23415
SIM ID 8944123456789123456
IMEI 35421234567
Model 00.01.04

The numbers shown on your device will differ to those above, but they should contain something, the important bit is highlighted in bold as it is the country identifier code assuming you are UK based - Mike
johnufc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - checked that screen, am indoors just now so 2 bars for signal strength - country code is indee 44 for UK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a restore factory settings on the device:
Change Preferences/ Restore factory settings and OK each of the warning screens, this will delete your Home location as well as any POI warning settings you might have made.

DO NOT CONNECT THE DEVICE TO THE PC also do not enter any username/ passwords to the device, all you need to do is power the unit up and see if it will connect and use the Live services - Mike
johnufc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, major improvement! services seem to mainly work now. However (there's always one of these) when I use the device to login to my account I get the same message as before - ok if I'm anonymous though!

Does this LIVE trial only run on a device with an 'anonymous' identity?

BTW - thanks for your great help so far Mike!

Hopefully the 540 will be a little more stable now too - has been rebooting a lot, switching on when unattended, taking ages to get a fix etc. etc.
Had begun to regret updating!
Rolling Eyes Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with running "Anonymous" is the Buddies feature won't work as this service needs your details, all the others will work fine though.

I would give TomTom Customer Support a ring in the morning and see what they have to say about this issue (you are not the first person to have mentioned this behaviour in the forum) - the number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
keithtech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: regarding logon issue tomtom540 live Reply with quote

myself spend a whole day reseting reloadind this unit a tomtom 540 live worked ok when not logged in traffic ect.. with the 3 months showing on software as soon as you log in the unit shows 5 months after signing up for subsciption of live but guess what traffic wont authenticate spoke to a nice guy at tomtom he told me lots of people are calling in with this issue. well he is going to keep me updated theres meetings regarding this issue next week.
so it looks like tomtom live becomes tomtom dead after three months. worrying if a server issue cannot be resolved within a month or so. either the server is not up to it or there system man and there design engineers should be sacked. dont forget u only get 28 days to return your device so mark up the calender
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume if it works anonymously and not when logged in, there is something wrong with your account on the TT Servers. I believe this can happen if you first use the x40 through Home rather than log on it the first time over its internal GPRS.

You could either get TT to reset your account or if you have not subscribed to anything on the account create a new account through Home with the device disconnected, then without connecting to Home, enter your new account details on the device and log in using the internal GPRS service. This is what I did to get mine working.

My TT Live Services with one months subscription plus the "free" trial show an end date in April 2009 when logged in.
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem with a 940. I have spojen to TomTom technical support. Finally they acknowledge there is a general problem here. Not with the units themselves but with the servers at their end.

Basically each new unit is supposed to be authorised for a 3 month trial of 'LIVE'. To make use of this you are *not* supposed to add a login name/password to the TomTom unit. The idea is to leave it as anaonymous.

The guy I spoke to confirmed that my unit was correctly registered with them but it still wasn't working, and he would pass this to 2nd line support.

He told me the support teams are annoyed sicne they have been inundated with peopel havign this problem. He tells me if I reset my unit and try again after Monday it should be resolved. If not to call back.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: 940 Not Live Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The only problem with running "Anonymous" is the Buddies feature won't work as this service needs your details, all the others will work fine though.

I would give TomTom Customer Support a ring in the morning and see what they have to say about this issue (you are not the first person to have mentioned this behaviour in the forum) - the number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
Quote:

I have had my 940 since the end of November and it still does not work on Live. After countless emails via their services and countless answers none of which work.

A lot of the answers seem to refer to fixing a 910. Phoning them means you are on hold for a long time and will cost you at least 8-10 pounds Stirling with no additional remedies by the time you finish.

I feel that first level support are lost on this issue, they say it has been passed onto second level but nothing has come from them to date.

The 940 works well except the Live issue so apart from petrol prices that downloads from Home it is no better than earlier versions. You cannot even log on to your account as it gives an error message and states you cannot log on to a different country.

Hoping they are working on a software update and have the honesty to say it is duff as it it is out of the box. Still got my 50 pound petrol voucher to claim, you have to wait 3 months first, I have already lost 1 month + of my live services.

Good luck and anyone who has got one working that was bought from TomTom Netherlands please share your method.

If you are reading this TomTom support please start the new year with a fix.

Happy New Year to all
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 940 Not Live Reply with quote

beashley wrote:
Good luck and anyone who has got one working that was bought from TomTom Netherlands please share your method.
Did you purchase your 940 in Holland or the UK? - Live services will only ever work in the country of purchase - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: