Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 730, ready to GO? Over 8 hours to download latest map??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 730, ready to GO? Over 8 hours to download latest map??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: New 730, ready to GO? Over 8 hours to download latest map?? Reply with quote

Just purchased a TomTom 730. Im giving it a try out.

Plugged it into my Mac ready to leave for work and an option comes up for the latest map.
I chose to download and install it...
A progress bar popped up and it said...
"Estimated remaining time 8.15"

Is that really how long it will take?

I suppose it will then tell me I have to insert a new SD Card as the new map will not fit. Will that then aggravate me further?

Help?

Tc
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long it will take depends on the speed of your internet connection but you are looking at around 2GB or 2000MB which is around 800kb/s over 8 hours. Obviously how busy the rest of the servers and network are will have an effect.

It should be able to install without requiring more space as it will delete the old maps before installing the new, so make sure you have the whole Go backed up so you can put the maps back if it goes wrong.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
How long it will take depends on the speed of your internet connection but you are looking at around 2GB or 2000MB which is around 800kb/s over 8 hours. Obviously how busy the rest of the servers and network are will have an effect.

It should be able to install without requiring more space as it will delete the old maps before installing the new, so make sure you have the whole Go backed up so you can put the maps back if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I've copied the TomTom image onto my desktop. I didn't want to interupt the process.

At least I'll have a fully functional TomTom Go 730 by about 7.30 tonight.

Tc
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 730T Reply with quote

Interested in this thread, TangoCharlie, as I have been looking at a new GO730T with a view to replacing my Navman (which has given sterling service). I really need the E Europe maps. So let's know how you get on with your new acquisition. I saw it advertised at £269 which seems to be a good price ;-) and paying for the extras on the TT GO740 Live Europe 32 at £40 extra does not seem to give any advantage - apart from the fuel voucher.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheapest price I could find was amazon.co.uk. I think it was cheaper than the price you said.
I didn't go for the 'T' option. From what I have heard it's a bit flakey. It certainly is on the Navman S100!
I did hours of research to come to the 730 conclusion. £200 on amazon.
Oh, and eight and a half hours later and it's STILL downloading the latest map!!
Tc
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
the cheapest price I could find was amazon.co.uk. I think it was cheaper than the price you said.
I didn't go for the 'T' option. From what I have heard it's a bit flakey. It certainly is on the Navman S100!
I did hours of research to come to the 730 conclusion. £200 on amazon.
Oh, and eight and a half hours later and it's STILL downloading the latest map!!
Tc

Sounds about the price I would be prepared to pay.... I misquoted it in my last post. As to downloading the latest map/s - does that mean the whole of Europe, then it would be worth it. Perhaps overnight would be better.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Yes, it was the whole of Europe and took over 12 hours!

Shame cos I had it express delivered so I could try it out today on the way to a job!

Laughing Out Loud

Tc
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 730T via Amazon for £220, it was the cheapest price I could find. I used the latest map guarantee and it took only about 4 or 5 hours for the Western and Central Europe map. My internet speed, when I measure it, averages around an embarrassing 700Mb only! If you use TomTom Home you can interrupt the download and it will pick it up the next time you go for it.

I advise everyone to wait till as near as possible to the 30th day to use the guarantee though, as a new map might be released in the meantime and you won't be allowed to make a second download. Unless if the map you have is already 9 months old, as TomTom reserves the right to deny the guarantee if it means it will replace a map that is older than 9 months!So if it's that old, you should just get whatever's there as soon as possible...
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pEst_29 wrote:
I got the 730T via Amazon for £220, it was the cheapest price I could find. I used the latest map guarantee and it took only about 4 or 5 hours for the Western and Central Europe map. My internet speed, when I measure it, averages around an embarrassing 700Mb only! If you use TomTom Home you can interrupt the download and it will pick it up the next time you go for it.

I advise everyone to wait till as near as possible to the 30th day to use the guarantee though, as a new map might be released in the meantime and you won't be allowed to make a second download. Unless if the map you have is already 9 months old, as TomTom reserves the right to deny the guarantee if it means it will replace a map that is older than 9 months!So if it's that old, you should just get whatever's there as soon as possible...

Do you mean 700kbps only?
I'm only getting 800kbps so 700mbps would be super fast!

I think the last map had significant changes in it, didn't it? So I did want all the new features right away, rather than waiting 30 days.

Tc
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pEst_29 wrote:
...TomTom reserves the right to deny the guarantee if it means it will replace a map that is older than 9 months!...

That's a new one to me. Where did you find that condition?
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:

Do you mean 700kbps only?
I'm only getting 800kbps so 700mbps would be super fast!

Tc

Sorry, yeah, I meant 700kbps! I checked now and it's giving me 950kbps which is the best ever, I think they must have improved something, that's probably the speed I actually downloaded with...
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
pEst_29 wrote:
...TomTom reserves the right to deny the guarantee if it means it will replace a map that is older than 9 months!...

That's a new one to me. Where did you find that condition?

https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/information.php

Look at the legal notice down the bottom.
Yeah it sucks doesn't it? The average buyer won't really know how old a map he's getting when he buys a satnav, but they reserve the right to screw him for something he has no control over...

TomTom Home informed me my map was 9 months old (not older) so I figured I better use the guarantee before the map turns 10 months old or they might (or might not, at their discretion) refuse me the upgrade.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Tomtom's idea of the age of a map runs from the date that the map version is released and jumps in 3 month intervals. They have a current map, one which is one quarter old, another two quarters (6 months) old and so on.
I have never heard a complaint from anyone who was refused a free map under the latest map guarantee because their map was more than 9 months old.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: