Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need help pairing a phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help pairing a phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcacs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Need help pairing a phone Reply with quote

I have a new Samsung SPHm300 phone.

My Rider2 "finds" it no problem.

The phone shows it as "TomTom Rider2" when it searches for BT devices. When I try to pair it, all I get is "pairing failed" on the phone itself.

The phone shows up on the Rider, but when I try to set up a wireless data connection things go wrong.

The progress bar goes to 65% (checking phone features) when attempting to set up a wireless data connection and then it states unable to set up.

At some point a list of phones comes up (mine isnt listed), so I click on "other", which then asks for country, provider (not listed, but its MTS), so I click on "other" then asks for manual settings: access point name (what?), username (what?); password, IP address (DHCP); manual IP addy; DNS server; DNS address, Alt dial; Login Script, etc.

I am at a complete loss on how to fill in the info the Rider asks for.

I suspect the main problem is that the phone isnt pairing, but I dont know how I might be able to "make" it do it.

Hoping someone has a simple explanation so I might be able to use this phone on my Rider2. Maybe it just isnt possible?

Cheers,
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't shown in the list of compatible phones on the TomTom website here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rcacs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are right, it isnt.

But was wondering if it can be manually installed. I am thinking that the list shown on the TT site probably isnt kept right up to date either.

Cheers!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help pairing a phone Reply with quote

rcacs wrote:

At some point a list of phones comes up (mine isnt listed), so I click on "other", which then asks for country, provider (not listed, but its MTS), so I click on "other" then asks for manual settings: access point name (what?), username (what?); password, IP address (DHCP); manual IP addy; DNS server; DNS address, Alt dial; Login Script, etc.
Cheers,

Your phone probably will pair up and it looks like it is the network that TT is having issues with as it does not have the details. You need to find out the details above for your networks providers GPRS settings.

APN= This is the address of your provider which you will need to look up but is probably "internet.mts.com"

Username = Again you will need this info from your provider, will be the same for all users but is probably "mts"

Password = same again for all users but is probably "mts"

IP address should be set to "auto" or "DHCP"

DNS should be set to "auto"

Alt dial (*99#)& login script (default) does not normally need to be used

You should be able to get these all from the mobile service provider, they do not come from TomTom.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth mentioning that on one of my phones, it wouldn't pair well until I deleted the pair with my old TomTom. I guess it was getting confused. Once it was deleted, the password was requested and it all worked fine again. May or may not help you of course!
rcacs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points/tips, thanks.

However, I think the first thing is to get the phone to pair. The phone identifies the Rider, but when I hit save on the phone, it asks for a keypass (I put 0000), it then tries but ends up saying "pairing failed".

I dont have any other devices paired with my Rider as an FYI.

Cheers
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often when pairing bluetooth it can time out so repeated attempts may work. However getting as far as TT asking for the network settings makes it seem like TT thinks it has paired.

Again this may seem obvious but are you sure you are putting in 0000 on your phone? On some phones with keyboards or multifunction keys you may find you are putting in EEEE or another character which shares the same key as 0, this is especially difficult to spot if your phone masks the characters you are typing and shows ****

Sometimes there are security settings on phones for bluetooth such as only accept secure encrypted connections, have you tried changing these in case the two devices mismatch?

Often on phones there is a limit to how many types of a particular device can be paired so if you have other handsfree devices such as a bluetooth headset paired with your phone, this could prevent TomTom from pairing.

I don't know your phone, but on my HTC it did not have the Windows Mobile6 DUN (dial up networking) installed which prevented my PDA from seeing it as a "modem" and I assume would have done the same to my Go had I not installed it.
rcacs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be in the right moon phase...I got my Rider2 to pair with the phone, and it even transfered the phone book over to the Rider.

However, I have to manually enter the Data info for my phone provider in order to use any of the plus services. My provider isnt listed on the device. I imagine I will have to get all the info from the provider:

Access point name;
Username;
Password;
IP address;
DNS server address;
Dial and Login Script.

Progress is a luvly thing.

Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: