Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - uk postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

uk postcodes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevtag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: uk postcodes Reply with quote

I have a tomtom one xl and just updated the maps from v7 to v8 but the postcodes dont some up to date. does tomtom home software update these or do I have to download them and if so where.. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should usually get an updated postcode file if there is one.

Using Windows Explorer, look at your device in the folder called zip. In there will be a file called Great_BritainPostal.ver. Double click and open it (with notepad if necessary) and one line should show the version number. Mine says version=701 and that's the latest.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not Dennis.

Nevtag: search is your friend:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33563&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=postcode&start=60

Version 801 is available at oldboy's site - or was, his site is being rebuilt at the moment.

DeeSee
nevtag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the search DeeSee but could'nt find it.. the site is down at the moment will download the file when the site is back up. thanks for the fast reply guys. Very Happy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....

My 'new' 720 updated to 830 and 815 maps is showing Version 603 of the GB postal codes!! And I distinctly remember it upgrading it after doing the application upgrade to 830 and mapping to 815. I'll check the original out-of-the-box backup tonight.

The .tlv file also contains refs to 603.

The Netherlands file is V604 FWIW!!

I've downloaded the V715 files that theTT support page has a link to.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Home's long-standing bugs is to offer you old map versions (often ones you bought for a completely different device).
My copy of Home keeps offering me a v6 UK map AND ALSO the v6 postcodes file to go with it.

You have to keep on your toes with Home and DON'T just accept every download it offers you. Do you think this might be how you ended up with the old postcodes?
For the same reason, you should definitely un-tick any option to "update automatically on connection".
nevtag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked my postcode file version using notpad like DennisN says and it is version=801 but when I try to find this postcode YO22 4UQ using v8 maps its not there.. but is using my v7 maps it is and that postcode file also say v801. how come Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevtag wrote:
just checked my postcode file version using notpad like DennisN says and it is version=801 but when I try to find this postcode YO22 4UQ using v8 maps its not there.. but is using my v7 maps it is and that postcode file also say v801. how come Confused

I don't know the answer to your question, but you're mistaken when you refer to "that postcode file". The postcode file isn't matched to a particular map and the files don't change when you switch maps. There is only one location for the postcodes and that is the "zip" folder.
(Although what happens if you create a zip folder on both internal memory and an sd card and put different versions of the file in each, I don't know either!)

Just to confuse you further, my v8 maps (with v801 postcodes) can find YO22 4UQ fine.... Bridge Holm Lane, south of Robin Hood Bay?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ONE v4 has App v8.010 with Map v815.2024, but v701 Postcodes.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
One of Home's long-standing bugs is to offer you old map versions (often ones you bought for a completely different device).
My copy of Home keeps offering me a v6 UK map AND ALSO the v6 postcodes file to go with it.

You have to keep on your toes with Home and DON'T just accept every download it offers you. Do you think this might be how you ended up with the old postcodes?
For the same reason, you should definitely un-tick any option to "update automatically on connection".

Point taken Andy! It was probably thinking I was still using my TTN V6 system

I copied the files from my original backup - UK is V701. I will wait for Oldboy's web site to come on-line again and get the latest that he has.
nevtag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know what the problem was but got it sorted, I just copyed the zip folder from my tomtom with v7 maps to the SD card.. works fine the postcode file must of been corrupt. thank for all the replys and the link to oldboys site it will come in very handy.. Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with DennisN, my 720 with 8.300 and 815 maps is showing:
Quote:
ID=GreatbritainPostal_TeleAtlas
version=701

dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: uk postcodes Reply with quote

nevtag wrote:
I have a tomtom one xl and just updated the maps from v7 to v8 but the postcodes dont some up to date. does tomtom home software update these or do I have to download them and if so where.. Confused

Hi, have just checked the postcode files on my 720's, they are all 701, if 801 is available, why is it not on the TomTom site, which shows 701 as the current version ??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: uk postcodes Reply with quote

dennisf wrote:
nevtag wrote:

Hi, have just checked the postcode files on my 720's, they are all 701, if 801 is available, why is it not on the TomTom site, which shows 701 as the current version ??
On this Forum, between us all, we know everything. EXCEPT what makes TomTom tick (or not tick in this case). Ask their support people if you feel a desperate urge to talk to a brick wall. Laughing

Otherwise, like me, choose the productive alternative and check Oldboy's site from time to time for when it has finished rebuilding, then download it from there. That way you won't come away feeling you've wasted another part of your life. Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: uk postcodes Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.... and check Oldboy's site from time to time ....
Hopefully tomorrow ..... depending on SWMBO and any last minute instructions. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: