Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map Guarantee advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map Guarantee advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Latest Map Guarantee advice please Reply with quote

just got a ONE v5 europe. the western and central map loaded on it is version: 825.2157
i am being offered under LMG, version 830.2305.
how long do i have to accept a new map, and is this worth downloading now or not??
also when downloading is it self explanatory ie do i have do delete old map etc or is it all done for you and do my poi's stay intact?
many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, first of all make a full Windows Explorer backup BEFORE you do anything with the device though just to be on the safe side don't rely upon the TT Home Backup as its unreliable.

Then create a new account via TomTom Home for your new toy, use a new e-mail address to avoid any confusion with other devices though, it doesn't need to be an actual e-mail account that is live but should be in the e-mail address format. I used Alix_720@blueyonder.co.uk yesterday for a device that doesn't belong to me and it worked very well (this e-mail address doesn't exist by the way).

Next update the device to the latest application via Home which is free, this might take more than one update depending upon what Navcore is installed to the device. When it reports your device is up to date and no updates are available its time to try the next step.

With the device connected to Home click Tools/ Use Latest Map Guarantee in Home with the device connected to update your map to the latest available (currently v830) Home should sort out all issues with removal of the old map and installation of the new one.

As for how long you get to download a new map its 28 days, the last new maps (v830) were released on May 18th and the next one is expected around three months after that so I doubt its worth bothering sitting on the fence waiting for this to happen within your LMG period - Mike
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks once again mike for your sound and prompt asdvice. i have done a full windows backup prior to installing your speedcams etc. i have also updated the device application. was just wodering whether there can be much difference between the 2 versions but i suppose its worth doing as its free!!
incidentally my previous device was listed as western europe, this device seems to have a lot more countries on it. (don't think i'll get to use them though)!!
just seen these units have been reduced in price everywhere today, so called amazon (who delivered 2 days ago) and they have said they will credit me the £15 its decreased by plus there's a £20 cashback offered by TomTom so all in all not a bad deal really.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I used Alix_720@blueyonder.co.uk yesterday for a device that doesn't belong to me and it worked very well (this e-mail address doesn't exist by the way).

Mike
You'll miss out on all the "special offers"! Very Happy Very Happy

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I used Alix_720@blueyonder.co.uk yesterday for a device that doesn't belong to me and it worked very well (this e-mail address doesn't exist by the way).

Mike
You'll miss out on all the "special offers"! Very Happy Very Happy
How do you know it doesn't exist? Stop it! Maybe this is why I've suddenly received lots of TT offers for a new cheap map for a device which I don't own?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: