Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help upgrading map on tomtom 710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help upgrading map on tomtom 710

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveg247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: help upgrading map on tomtom 710 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've bought my dad the Western Europe Map V8.15 to upgrade the existing map on his Tomtom 710.

Just wanted to know if anyone can give me some advice.

I've backup the Tomtom to my pc but I was just wondering what to do with the POI's? My dads a truck driver and has a deliveries icon in his POI which has all the various places where he needs to go, whats the easiest way to back these up plus the rest of his Favs/POI and will they still work on the new map?

Also is there anything else I need to do before updating the map.

Cheers all
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a full backup of the device all you need to do is update the map then copy the files with a .ov2 and .bmp file extension to the new map folder as these are the Custom POI files - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of useful hints and tips in the "FAQs" post HERE that should include what you need.

Basically, you need to manually copy all your POIs (.ov2 files and .bmp files) from the old map to the new one.

For your favourites, with the latest software you cannot copy the relevant file (MapSettings.cfg) any more, so you need to convert them to a POI file - either on the machine BEFORE you add the new map, or by using POI Edit (again there should be instructions in the FAQ topic).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I've just looked at the FAQs, and there is one for sorting the favourites (#15), but there ISN'T one for copying POIs from one map to another. I'm sure I've seen onne on PGPSW, should we add a link from the FAQs if you can find one? (or I can rustle something up for you from one I did "elsewhere" Wink)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, the FAQ is now 2 years old and in need of a little "modernisation" in some areas so that would be a very good addition to the collection - I will sort something out on this topic in the morning.

I don't want to keep adding to the FAQ though, something will have to be removed (any more than 15 items gets too big for anyone to bother reading it), but a couple of the links are PDA related so they can go without too much of a problem - Mike
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: FAQ PAGE Reply with quote

Hello Mike Andy_P

Can i just add my bit to Andy's suggestion and your thoughts....I think and I am sure quite a few others like me would like things *unremoved* from the FAQ page...these are very helpful...they are at one place now and easily availabel to anyone....so i would say, nay, request... don't remove them until they are really really obsolete. Most of us, (though i don't) use PDAs even now.

best

RATOM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: FAQ PAGE Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
don't remove them until they are really really obsolete. Most of us, (though i don't) use PDAs even now.

I fully agree but in the case of FAQ #6 and #10 they are not even related to the TomTom PND units, these are PDA only and can therefore be moved to free up space.
The PDA software is no longer being seriously supported by TomTom I wonder how much longer it will exist as a product - I for one won't go and purchase a specific phone just because it is supplied with TTN7 software - Mike
daveg247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones help gonna give the update a go now.

Thanks again.
daveg247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well took a while to download but I've got the new map installed and all the POI's are back on. Smile

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: