Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 3 Upgrade Program Begins
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 3 Upgrade Program Begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the fun, my upgrade request appeared to go just fine, but I have now received a a second set of e-mails (payment authorised and invoice) referring to the same order number! The second pair of mails arrived 4 hours after the first, which came within minutes of accessing the site. There'll be trouble if I'm charged twice...

Maybe they're swamped by demand and they're site is buggy.
I hope they fix the 2210 before the update arrives.

Neil
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the upgrade last night without a hitch except I didnt receive any e-mail confirmation. The order does appear on the TomTom website though so hopefully all will be ok
tezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried again this morning - interestingly, having not charged for the upgrade last night, it decided to charge me the 49 euros this morning for the upgrade. all academic as the payment system still didn't work!

terry
dekduke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that tom tom have got their selves into a right old mess with their upgrade from 2 to 3. If you see from my earlier post I stopped ordering the upgrade at the stage of entering my credit card details because I was not convinced that the site was secure at the time I was ordering. I have however received this from them. The further processing that they refer to is that they have not received my credit card details. When I go to their site I can check my order status etc but there appears to be no means of completing the transaction.

Dear Mr. Derek,

Thank you for shopping at the TomTom Mail-Order store.

Your order has been received and awaiting further processing.

When we receive a confirmation of your payment for this order, we will confirm this to you in a separate e-mail.

Your order number is: 378xxx

If you want to check the status of you order please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead visit http://support.tomtom.com/uk
Go to My TomTom in the column on the left hand side.
Insert your e-mail address and password.
Choose Orders and you will find a list of the orders you placed in the TomTom mail-order store.
When you double click the order number you can view all details of that order.

Kind Regards,

TomTom Mail-Order department
http://www.tomtom.com

=================================================
Order number:
378xxx
Received:
Apr 14 2004 9:32PM
Order overview:
1 x TTN3 S/W upgrade - Great Britain (1C90.061)
1 x TomTom Navigator 3 Upgrade Fee (UPGRADEPREMIUM2-3)

Products to be sent to:

I have withheld my address etc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the upgrade program from 1 to 2 was painful for some as well Sad Let's hope these are teething issues and TT get it sorted quickly!
tezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the best way of contacting tomtom re: this? i now can't pay for the upgrade as it won't let me use my existing product registration codes!

Terry
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faxed them this morning with the problem and my email address.

I said I just wanted to let them have my credit card details to complete the transaction. Hopefuly they're not turning down €60 to add to their bank balance.

Will let you all know when i get a response.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does this cost?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregh wrote:
how much does this cost?

My upgrade and delivery costs came to €58.95, which was £39.91 on my Credit Card statement for this month.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if I upgrade can I give my v2 software to someone else to use?

regards,

greg
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to pay full price, it's EUR58.95 (around GBP40 by the time it hits your credit card bill). If you registered all your products after the cut off date (18 January, isn't it?), I believe you only pay EUR9.95 shipping (around GBP6.75). There'll be no customs duty or whatever, as the products are being shipped inside the EU. The price paid already includes VAT, which is paid at the Dutch rate.

The odd thing I noticed about the payment process was that the Visa logo had "Verified by Visa" next to it. I have "Verified by Visa" set up on my HSBC card - but wasn't asked to go through the "Verified by Visa" authentication at all.

My TomTom online account was already set up, and I can see the order status there - the payment status is "Authorised", the shipping status is "Warehouse", and the EUR169.00 item that's discounted to EUR0.00 is shown as Qty 1, Ship 0. The EUR49.00 upgrade fee item is shown as Qty 1, Ship 1 - though that's just an accounting device.

It does seem bad that you create the order, then pay - if something goes wrong during the payment stage, it seems possible to leave an order placed but not paid for (which presumably won't be progressed with) - also, judging by what others have posted, you can't use your product code(s) to create another order even if you didn't manage to pay at your first attempt. Even worse, as they're using an external payment provider, it might be very hard to pay by credit card if you didn't pay online successfully at the first attempt. To my mind the order shouldn't be created until the payment is received if you're wanting to pay by credit card.

It sounds like shipping of the upgrades will begin on Wednesday - though they ask you to allow 15 days for delivery. I expect there's a huge number of packages to send out - they had already posted various comments about asking people to be patient.

I'm not sure that the announcement email has gone out to registered customers yet (there again, I didn't receive the first one, announcing that the upgrade was coming) - so it could be that we're amongst the first to order. There again, a lot of people will be watching Pocket GPS World!

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the upgrade officially voids your v2 licence.
dekduke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this response from tom tom today

In response to your recent question to our customer support team, please find below a summary of your question and our response.

To update your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
I went to upgrade from 2 to 3 but when I got to the payment section to enter ...

Discussion Thread
Response 15/04/2004 03:06 PM

Dear Mr Duguid,

as of this morning our site is secure.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 14/04/2004 09:08 PM

I went to upgrade from 2 to 3 but when I got to the payment section to enter my credit card details, I could not see the padlock symbol in my web browser that indicates that I was using a secure site. Is your site secure

Best regards,

Derek
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregh wrote:
and if I upgrade can I give my v2 software to someone else to use?

Though I've yet to see the upgrade pack, I suspect it will be a breach of the licence agreement to transfer the old software. You're not normally allowed to transfer software used to qualify an upgrade, even by giving it away. At best you're allowed to keep using both versions on the same hardware (if that's possible, as it is with recent versions of Microsoft Office) or switch between versions on the same hardware. Sometimes the licence agreement for the upgrade requires you to stop using the old product completely.

I had wondered whether ordering the upgrade would stop you activating the existing software. However, the ttcode.com web site still seems happy to accept my Navigator 2 product code, so it may be that they aren't going to stop activations of the old product, at least for now (unless there's a time delay between using the code to order an upgrade and it being disabled for new activations). It might be that they'll stop codes that have been used to upgrade being used to activate new devices once the upgrade packs have started shipping - or, indeed, it may be that all I could really do even now is reactivate my existing Pocket PC (I don't have another Pocket PC, and hence another device code, to test whether I could still activate my copy of Navigator 2 on another Pocket PC).

It remains to be seen whether they've done anything particularly clever with activation once you've received your upgrade (such as when you activate the Navigator 3 upgrade, you then can't activate Navigator 2 on new devices). I suspect not - I doubt they'll go as far as linking the old and new product codes together in the maelstrom of shipping all the upgrades, unless they've produced special packs to use as upgrades that don't have the product code inside the CD case inside the shrink wrap.

Until people begin to get their upgrades in about a week's time, I think all we know for certain is that once you've created your upgrade order, the old product code(s) apparently can't be used to order another upgrade.

David
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order status of my order is non-existent as follows:

Order nr. Orderdate status Shipping status Order total Last Name Country
3790XX 4-14-2004 Euro 58.95 United Kingdom

Can someone post a link to a Tomtom email address where I can post further questions? It appears that they've chosen to ignore my fax.

It's so *&^%$ annoying......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: