Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom HD Live on there website
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom HD Live on there website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom HD Live on there website Reply with quote

HI,

I have been using the Tom Tom Live map on the tom tom website to track traffic info.

However I have noticed a problem. In the West Mids on Thursday there was a crash southbound on the M5 near Frankly Services and also one on the M5 and also one on the M54

Well I noticed that yesterday evening the same accidents are still listed. In Fact as of today (Saturday) the same accidents are still listed and yet the Motorway is running fine.

Anyone else find this?

Cheers

Jlo
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding the same thing here. An accident on the A92 last night that was reported on the route planner (and the various traffic info sources) is still being reported today. Despite it being cleared last night. My 540 is also still reporting it, however still only as an incident. How the route planner can report it as an accident and the 540 as an incident (basically an incident is another way of saying they don't know what the issue is I assume) is a strange one.

I'm loosing more and more confidence in there new HD system. Another example is an arterial A road in my area has been closed for a few weeks due to roadworks. All the various traffic info sources are reporting it, my 730 is reporting it, but my 540 will have me try and drive straight through it as according to it, it's not even there.

Rolling Eyes

UPDATE: Just turned on my 540 today and for the first time I am getting information on various road closures and roadworks. (The types of information that Support told me I should be getting on my 540 from day 1) Not just the "Traffic congestion" description that I was getting for everything yesterday. Granted all the new information is for the Western Isles and Highlands, but it's a move in the right direction!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, still showing on Route Planner
DJ-Power
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed another problem in the South East. I was travelling down the M20 towards Folkestone and my GPRS traffic informed me the road was closed at Junction 11 which was correct as Operation Stack had been implemented.
I was therefor able to avoid a long delay by rerouting around the problem. The tom tom HD traffic on their site failed to pick this closure up until around 10 pm that evening when the closure had been in place since 9am.

I think I will stick with GPRS traffic for now.

Regards
DJP Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD traffic does not pick up road closures, that information has to come from other sources, most likely the Highways Agency so I do not know why TomTom would put this information onto their GPRS database and not their HD Traffic. Maybe they have two different Traffic departments running the products who do not talk to each other?

HD Traffic has also been showing the whole of the M26 delayed by a several day old accident and a similar ones in Romford and Chester le Street.

It is also showing the M1 widening roadworks as still in place between the M25 and Luton and they finished (apart from some slip roads) and had the speed restrictions lifted as of Friday.

In spite of the bugs it is the best public traffic system I have seen to date.
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just checked and the tomtom website is still showing those accidents on the M5 from last Thursday now.

I have emailed some feedback to them but it does not seem to be actioned yet.

Cheers

Jlo
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
HD traffic does not pick up road closures, that information has to come from other sources, most likely the Highways Agency so I do not know why TomTom would put this information onto their GPRS database and not their HD Traffic. Maybe they have two different Traffic departments running the products who do not talk to each other?

The road was closed due to stationary traffic being queued due to congestion in Dover Docks.

What was interesting is that this was one of the few occasions when the southbound A2 was also subject to stationary traffic from the docks, for several miles. I passed it (fortunately going northbound), but there was nothing showing on GPRS.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have noticed that the long term accidents (Romford & M26) on the map also appear on HD traffic on the x40 but they are in grey rather than the red chevrons as on the website version.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that on both the web site and my 540 that the A92/M90 in Fife, Scotalnd are showing a 5m delay, west and east due to an accident.

Been showing this for about 4 days now.

Very poor

In fact, shockingly POOR, get a Censored grip TomTom.

And whats more, I cant email them, the log in process to ask a question just keeps going in a loop and ever get to ask a question!! Grrrrr.

Steve

Admin Edit: Do not use asterisks to circumvent the Swear Filter. PaulB2005
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:

A bit of an over-reaction.

How do you know that the information is at fault from TomTom rather than that supplied to them by the various agencies? Do you expect them to verify each piece of traffic information?
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you see your traffic problems, up here in Aberdeen any incidents that happen (you can see the red circles on the map) but there is no way of viewing them (in Glasgow and Edinburgh you hover over them then a box appears) so that you can view in incidents.
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is frustrating though.

The accident on the M5 nr Birmingham and M54 are still showing almost a week after it happened. I have mailed feedback to Tom TOm and also 'keepmemoving' web site as that is run by ITIS but so far no replies and no action taken.

I think it would be really useful to have a taffic hotline for Tom Tom so users can report incidents and also report incidents that are no longer there.

Cheers

Jlo
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Tomo wrote:

A bit of an over-reaction.

How do you know that the information is at fault from TomTom rather than that supplied to them by the various agencies? Do you expect them to verify each piece of traffic information?

Ok, apologies, maybe an over reaction but you would think that off all the people working at TomTom Head office that one of them just may of noticed there has been an accident at this spot for almost a week now and yet has not cleared. They then of course, you would of thought, got off their backsides and looked into that, and the other issues of incidents sticking to the system.

Steve
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported several of these false incidents and I assume that TT have reacted as they changed some from the car at 45 degrees with a long line of red chevrons on the HD Traffic on the x40 to a grey line similar to roadworks with no delays, although they still show as red on the web map and the web route planner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: