Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My new Nuvi 255
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Nuvi 255
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRMoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: My new Nuvi 255 Reply with quote

My wife has bought me an early Christmas present, to replace the i3 that was dropped and damaged, and as the title says, she got me a Nuvi 255.

Seems very nice at the moment, but haven't been outside with it yet.

I have registered the device with Garmin. I was surprised that during the registration process the website said I had to connect the device to the computer. I thought this'll be fun, as I use Apple PowerBook G4! Blow me down if there wasn't a Mac native plug-in for Safari that downloaded and allowed the Garmin website to interact with the Nuvi 255. It updated the firmware and finished the registration process, and gave me a 10% off voucher to use in their online store.

Anyway, I just wanted to check a couple of things with the knowledgeable folks here...

(1) Map Info lists:
City Navigator Europe NT 2008
[1] ALL

Is this the latest map data?
Are there updates imminent, or out already?
Do Garmin still do free map updates if new maps are available within a certain amount of time following purchase?

(2) I also discovered (to my surprise again) that there is a Webupdater for the Mac as well, and when run this produced the following:

Your garmin has the latest software.

Additional Updates:
Firmware Update for GTMxx Traffic Receiver
Voice, Luxembourgish
Firmware Update for GDBxx MSN Direct Receiver
Text, nuvi 2 series, All languages
Traffic, Text, All languages
Text, Proximity Alerts, All languages

Now it gives reasonable update history for the first three, and seeing as I don't speak Luxembourgish or have a traffic receiver I think I can safely ignore them.

The following three entries have little information with them. I would like to know what if any benefits there are to installing them. More importantly, have there been any problems experienced after installing them, i.e. should I leave any of them well alone?!

It was nice to see that they kept the same ball mount as the i3, as then I could potentially use it on my scooter too, if it wasn't for the fact that the ball mount on the scooter is in a gap between a fly screen and the speedo which is too narrow for it! Doh!!! Rolling Eyes I suppose that now the i3 is not required for primary navigation duties, I could patch it up to use on the bike. It still works fine after all, it was just the battery cover that got broken when the wife dropped it.

OK that's enough for now, back to trawling the forums to see what snippets I can find for myself.

Cheers
SRMoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Confused

I have gone back into myGarmin, and got to a page for activating maps.

Quote:
Maps installed on this device:
Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNE NT 2008 Limited
Region: City Navigator Europe NT Regions
Code: xxxxxxx
Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date Unlocked: May 9, 2008
[/quote]

Now considering the thing was bought today (December 13, 2008), I thought it really clever how I managed to go back in time by seven months and unlock them then, or are they unlocked when installed at manufacture?

In any event I notice that an update is available for £60!!! Should I be expected to get this update for free?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a brand new unit, then Garmin gives you 60 latest map guarantee.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked the map situation on my new 760 that I purchased Friday to update to latest 2009 maps its a cost of £60, although when I purchased my 205W a few days previous and registered it they gave me free 2009 maps, anyone no what the score is there Question Question
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re- Map Updates check out This thread for my experiences. Wish you same result as me.

Edit once to add thread link - Mike Alder
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CityNavigator Europe v2009 is out.
You should be able to get free updates on new un-registered units.

But your maps in a new unit bought on the 13th December indicate the maps were unlocked in May so that means no free update??

In MyAccount with Garmin it tells you when the first GPS fix was made. If it isn't since you switched it on, then the unit is not new.

From My own Account
Quote:
First Satellite Acquired: Nov 5, 2008

Seanscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! Thanks Mike - forgot to paste the link in my hurry.
JohnWB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have just got a 255 but I got the 255WT. I also checked & saw I could have these updates as well. I am in the UK so which ones should I install.

Additional Updates:
Firmware Update for GTMxx Traffic Receiver
Voice, Luxembourgish
Firmware Update for GDBxx MSN Direct Receiver
Text, nuvi 2 series, All languages
Traffic, Text, All languages
Text, Proximity Alerts, All languages
SRMoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to leave a support query with Garmin, but not too sure if it worked, as their support website has a red banner across it saying "* You are using an unsupported browser", so I guess their Mac support isn't all pervasive yet!

If I don't get a response I will try and ring them. As people know they are generally extremely helpful. If I get no joy, then I'll simply return it as defective.

I was having a little play with it this morning, in particular with the "Where Am I?" function. It lists a petrol station that hasn't existed in the 8 (EIGHT!!!) years I have lived in this area. The location is a block of riverside flats, and have been all the time I have been familiar with the area, which is longer than 8 years. This doesn't bode well for the accuracy of the data in this unit. Is there a way to edit the POIs behind the "Where Am I?" function?

I am familiar with POI editing for the i3, but I'm guessing this is going to be somewhat different.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old POI data is nothing new, the POI files are often considerably worse than the actual map data. Have you considered installing the Custom POI files available from this site for free? These Points Of Interest files are considerably more accurate and far more up to date than those supplied on any GPS device. try This page, you can also submitt corrections if you find any issues, this way all users will benefit from your local knowledge - Mike
SRMoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to download the POI files from the Nuvi, edit and upload them again?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRMoll wrote:
Is it possible to download the POI files from the Nuvi, edit and upload them again?

no, they're built in with the map data.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you can supplement them with the more accurate, up to date and editable POIs from here.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
CityNavigator Europe v2009 is out.
You should be able to get free updates on new un-registered units.

But your maps in a new unit bought on the 13th December indicate the maps were unlocked in May so that means no free update??

In MyAccount with Garmin it tells you when the first GPS fix was made. If it isn't since you switched it on, then the unit is not new.

From My own Account
Quote:
First Satellite Acquired: Nov 5, 2008

After two exchange's of my 760 from Halfords and date of unlock being Jan 2008 I contacted Garmin customer support (brilliant service) and they say that it is NOT A CASE OF A USED item as suggested.. they have issued me with a product code for my new maps and are sending me a cd with the 2009 maps .
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
SRMoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SRMoll wrote:

no, they're built in with the map data.

MaFt

That's pretty awful! My quick strawpoll of them suggests that 1 in 10 of those 'built-in' POIs is wrong in the 2008 maps, and given the time that that particular Shell garage hasn't existed, I wouldn't mind betting even the 2009 maps have the same errors.

I am all for nice useful features like this, but unfortunately that function is designed to help someone who may be in a bit of a panic, which will only be exacerbated by rubbish data like this. If they are not willing to take the steps necessary to ensure the data is accurate, they should at least enable erroneous data to be removed, and better for users to upload better sets of data.

Anyway, as I said I am already familiar with POI uploading to an i3, which of course includeds MaFt's POI data sets. I also maintain a small set of my own, for the family homes and workplaces I visit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: