Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Minimum volume on x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum volume on x40
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Minimum volume on x40 Reply with quote

I have just upgraded from a 910 to a 940 and although I like the improved volume on the new series it exacerbates a problem I have always had with the 910, namely, the minimum volume is too loud. Why, oh why, did TT in their infinite wisdom decree that minimum volume is not zero. Even when on minimum it is terribly distracting to any conversation with the passenger. Now I know I can switch off sound via preferences but this is a safety issue. It takes navigating on screen menus to switch off sound. T can change the volume via my remote control without taking my eyes off the road.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you realise that if you tap the car symbol on the main screen THREE times, it will mute or unmute the sound?

It's nothing clever... in fact you are actually going through the normal menu screen, but by happy chance (?) the icons are always in the middle of the bottom row, so three quick taps on the car does the job. Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the latest software update to 8.31, the sound level is much lower at 10% and is hardly instrusive?

You can also use the voice control and say "sound off".
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Did you realise that if you tap the car symbol on the main screen THREE times, it will mute or unmute the sound?

It's nothing clever... in fact you are actually going through the normal menu screen, but by happy chance (?) the icons are always in the middle of the bottom row, so three quick taps on the car does the job. Smile

Thanks, that's quite useful to realise. However, in my setup which is a people carrier it is quite a long way to lean forward to the windscreen and quite awkward to use the touchscreen. As a result it is still safer for me to use my remote control to access that function and look at the screen.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Have you tried the latest software update to 8.31, the sound level is much lower at 10% and is hardly instrusive?

You can also use the voice control and say "sound off".

Ah, thanks, I will try that. Only thing is I am waiting until I have sorted out my device code problem with TT before I do any serious updating, so it may be tomorrow.

Re voice control - brilliant, just tried it and it works fine, hadn't thought to do that.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered another shortcut to sound on/off and that is to put it in the Quick Menu. I've never used the Quick Menu until now, however I can't see any way of accessing it from the remote control. Can anyone enlighten me please.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
Just discovered another shortcut

On my 720, if you tap the screen where the navigation arrows, roundabout icons etc are shown, it will repeat the last instruction and place a volume slider across the bottom of the screen.

Does the 940 do that?

That portion of the screen is usually large enough to tap quickly and is possibly less fiddly than going through menus.

Incidentally, if you have the sound off, how do you know which roundabout exit to take? The exit number is only given in the audible instructions and the roundabout icons are usually not accurate enough to be relied upon.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
TonyD wrote:
Just discovered another shortcut

On my 720, if you tap the screen where the navigation arrows, roundabout icons etc are shown, it will repeat the last instruction and place a volume slider across the bottom of the screen.

Does the 940 do that?

That portion of the screen is usually large enough to tap quickly and is possibly less fiddly than going through menus.

Incidentally, if you have the sound off, how do you know which roundabout exit to take? The exit number is only given in the audible instructions and the roundabout icons are usually not accurate enough to be relied upon.

Yes the 940 does do that, but I don't need it because my remote has dedicated volume buttons, however this all started because the minimum volume is too loud hence the need to go through the menus. I quite agree re roundabouts and you've hit the nail on the head, I spend my life switching sound on and off when I get to roundabouts.

Just done a bit more experimenting and discovered that if you only have one item in the quick menu it then appears as the icon on the driving screen - problem solved (well almost, I still can't access it from the remote)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press and hold the main button on the remote (the one inside the four way "ring" the speech recognition will start up, from here you can start/ stop the sound or increase/ decrease it using the spoken instructions to the unit - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you press and hold the main button on the remote (the one inside the four way "ring" the speech recognition will start up, from here you can start/ stop the sound or increase/ decrease it using the spoken instructions to the unit - Mike

Yes, I use that function for activating voice control - in fact I think it was probably you that pointed it out to me in the first place.
Good for switching sound off and on, but if you already have your hand on the remote control it's probably easier to use the dedicated volume buttons than speak changes in volume.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now had a chance to road test the minimum volume with the latest firmware, and although it is much better I still find it intrusive. However, given I now have an icon on my driving screen to mute the sound, I'm happy enough.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GPS_fan
Your comment about not knowing which exit to take on a roundabout just shows how we users all differ in our preferences. I for instance pay only scant attention to the voice commands and focus more on visible. By ‘focus’ I mean a fleeting look at the navigation screen. As the roundabout approaches on the screen I find it easy to see the route Tomtom wishes me to take on exiting the roundabout.
And also I have often stopped on a large roundabout with many exits and traffic lights and been thankful that I can see exactly where I am and exactly where the exit is.
As I have already said ‘we all differ’.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
As the roundabout approaches on the screen I find it easy to see the route Tomtom wishes me to take on exiting the roundabout.
And also I have often stopped on a large roundabout with many exits and traffic lights and been thankful that I can see exactly where I am and exactly where the exit is.

And that's why the damned slow-down in screen refresh with latest software is so annoying. It seems especially troubled by roundabouts!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P
Luckily I do not suffer from the refresh rate problem but if I did I would be shattered. As I have already pointed out knowing where one is on a large roundabout is of paramount importance. An accurate refresh rate is also essential when turning Left or Right especially where there are multiple turnings close together in a city.
I can fully understand the irate users complaints over the subject.

However, the time must be drawing near when the next map update will be released and one can not help but wonder what surprises await we Tomtom punters. Will users have a new map but still have stutters? Will users still have refresh problems? Or will everything turn out just fine.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Pocket GPS Moderators and Verifiers etc will be over whelmed on the topics .
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er! Sorry, but the two words towards the end of my last post ‘over’ and ‘whelmed’ should have been one word, overwhelmed. I just thought I had better mention it before some scholar brought it to everyone’s attention.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: