Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom or Pocket Gps Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom or Pocket Gps Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Tomtom or Pocket Gps Cameras Reply with quote

Hi all
Just a simple question to all you users, which camera database is best, the one from tomtom or pocketgps? With the pocket gps database do you get voices with each camera warning??
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no better one than the one from here! And yes, there are voices for popular gps units including tomtom and garmin.
Go to the Speed camera forum - all the bits you want are there with instructions for installation.
Doug
Smile
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the link you want - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar

Smile
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As dougproctor has already mentioned, PGPSW database is considered to be the best.

Along with the camera database, PGPSW also make available voices, icons and support via forums (often making help instantaneous).

Many people have run both databases side by side and the conclusion is invariably the same - PGPSW database is best for accuracy and value for money.

In addition to this, a few other facts may be found here.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compared the two and there is no contest !!! the pocketgps is better by a mile !!
To be honest the subscription alone is worth it just for the support you get
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I 1st got my 920T I ran both for a while. I regularly found PGPSW database reporting cameras when the TomTom database did not have them.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: no comparison Reply with quote

Hi Mickjn

Let me also add a bit to what other members have already said...yes, there is no comparison... I have used TT cam database for years...My subscription ended early this month and I went for Pocket GPS database....there is no comparison....you will be happier.

Lots of options and so many of us (not me yet, as I am not good at technical stuff) forthcoming with help if and when needed.....you cannot think of this with TT support. At least this is my experience with them.

RATOM
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, if you spot and report a new camera you will get free life membership. You won't get that from Tomtom
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

At the risk of being flamed you are comparing (in the main) the original TT database not the new one they use from RoadAngel with the PGPSW one. Like with like?

Still, you pay your money and take your choice - the PGPSW is the better value by far. I prefer the TT as I am used to the RoadAngel database. Personal choice
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Guys,

At the risk of being flamed you are comparing (in the main) the original TT database not the new one they use from RoadAngel with the PGPSW one. Like with like?

Still, you pay your money and take your choice - the PGPSW is the better value by far. I prefer the TT as I am used to the RoadAngel database. Personal choice

The Road Angel database is only available on the x40's. Aside from directionality I think ours compares very favourably personally. Indeed having ran them both side by side I've found many errors in RA's.

For all other devices the data is TomTom sell is still their own and very poor.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The Road Angel database is only available on the x40's. Aside from directionality I think ours compares very favourably personally. Indeed having ran them both side by side I've found many errors in RA's.

If TomTom added the extra functionality of Directionality warning of POIs then it would be very interesting to test our standard database against the "elitist" RA database that only x40 series TomTom PNDs can use.

Trouble is that TomTom have been asked for this functionality many times and so far they have ignored it.

So please everybody who wants Directionality warning of POIs then please contact TomTom and ask for it.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to accept criticism where it is deserved and we're all keen to ensure our database is as good as it can be. A number of us have had x40's for some time and so have had plenty of time to compare the data delivered by Road Angel directly against ours.

Whilst I accept that any opinion I make is obviously biased, I believe ours is as accurate and indeed more accurate than RA's. There are many locations where our data is more accurate and more up to date and I've yet to find one legitimate site that we don't have and RA do.

On a recent journey I passed two mobile sites that were active and received no warning from the 940, thankfully our database was alerting me. And I was travelling at the legal limit so well within the rumoured trigger speed zones for alerts on an x40.

Where RoadAngel/TomTom do succeed is in being able to offer directional alerts and other little pluses such as SPECS alerts specific to the start and ends of a controlled zone. Sadly that is not an option TomTom allow third parties and very possibly because they know it is one of only two areas in which they can claim their service is superior, the other being the ease of install.

As for TomToms own database, I am amazed that it gets so little bad press as it is truly appalling. There are many many long standing fixed and road works cameras that are missing after years in some cases and mobiles are almost non-existent. Anyone using TomTom's own database (not RA's x40 data) is strongly advised to drive as if they had no warning data at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: