Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of posts on here which suggest how to convert voice files, particularly using Audacity as the format converter (I took ogg files off this site and converted to wav). If you can separate the commands in the Garmin voice file (NOT a TextToSpeech one!) using Ash10's Voice Utility, it would certainly be worth a try. I can't remember if they are WAV format -if not, that is what you need to convert to (and you might choose to use jonandmarkuk's particular parameters as well, even if they are already wav format).

The voice files go in the top/main POI Warner folder.

Hope that helps
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I am willing to pay someone to write me a guide on how this works on my 8110 as the POI Warner manual is shocking.

Mine says its monitoring the overlays and monitoring is on but nothing appears on the screen.

Other questions

Do POIs not appear in 3D mode ?
Can you navigate to Custom POIs ?

Heeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllpppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!

At present Garmin looks a decent bet but don't want to give up without a fight
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find jonandmarkuk's posts of 18 & 19 Jan are useful here.

The question not covered there is on-screen view in 3D. The (Full) User Guide, section "General options for POI-Warner" may cover this, I think- the standard setting is 'as 3D-popup' where the POI is only shown on approach. But the following setting 'as a coloured bar ALWAYS in navigation mode' says it will always be visible (I haven't actually tried this, so I don't know what actually shows on the screen as the 'coloured bar' - I would hope it's the assigned icon). I don't know if it depends on the 2/3D setting, I assume not, as POI-Warner runs independently of the Navigon's software.

I will waive my fee for this mini-guide for the moment, but if you live somewhere which has decent beer, I may draw down the debt in the future!

Quote:
Assuming it works Confused Very Happy

gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update -

I got the speed camera database (in generic ASCii format) from this site and this loads on fine and actually worked on a quick trip to Cardiff today.

However if I download other POIs in OV2 format and use POIedit 2007 t batch convert them I get two problems:-

1) It loses some of the entries when converting
2) when I load them on the POI folder of my Navigon 8100 they do not appear on the map despite being converted on boot up and mointored.

Anyone got any ideas where I am going wrong or should I used another site for my non speed camera POIs ?
NAVIGON7210
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Navigon users, the POI icons have to be converted to 8 bit .bmps...otherwise you are going to have problems..I have been using POIwarner for three years with Navigon 5, Navigon 6, and just recently got it to work on my 7210. If you have any problems I will be glad to walk you through the setup...
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, POI Warner POI do NOT appear on the Navigon map.

Effectively POI Warner and MN7 run independently. POI Warner helpfully starts MN7 but that is that.

I suspect that Navigon has cut some program lines that POI Warner used in order to speed up MN7. Subjectively it does seem faster than MN6. OTOH Navigon have their own Speed cams (Fixed only) and maybe want to inhibit the opposition.

As Navigating .de can get a side bar display they might be able to display POI elsewhere on the screen. The problem for proper map display is the constant rescaling in MN7.[/code]
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried the 'as a coloured bar ALWAYS...' option for the POI display, I found it did not mean the icon on the map as I had hoped, but a fairly meaningless vertical colour-graded bar in the same position as the default '3D-pop-up'.

I have not managed to get the icons displayed on the map itself. V7 seems to be a totally different set up from V6 - the V6 manual makes it quite clear that icons ARE displayed on the map in V6, so I think that the V7 implementation (for whatever reason) does NOT allow for this (or has anyone found different?).

However, the icons I loaded showed up ok in the '3d-pop-up' display on approach to the POI - the PGPSW ones, and also a CAMRA icon I loaded with their POIs. So it seems happy at least with 22x22 BMP format.

I have asked N.de about this, as their FAQs seem to be rather confusing, saying they CAN be set to display, but with instructions which don't tally with the screen options shown on the device. Interested in any other findings people have made.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is N.de's reply, which seems to back up Roy124:
Quote:
The POI-Warner for MN7 does not integrate the POIs into the MN7 map, because Navigon did not provide us with an interface for the MobileNavigator 7 version, as they did in the previous versions.

We are willing to alter it, if Navigon provides us with that particular interface.

Another plus for Navigon Twisted Evil I'll be interested to see what they say about this Confused
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk, I think Navigon succeeds despite its customer service as it has a good product.

In its defence, its own range of POI is more extensive than it used to be. Speedcams are sensitve to direction of travel.

If you select POI on route it is a very useful function. To get a POI from POI Warner to MN7 is not something you can do easily.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note for AlexPresland of CAMRA (and anyone else interested in spending a fiver for decent ale!).

WEELLL, I have finally loaded the Garmin csv file into the POIWarner program running on my Navigon 8110. I had so many attempts with failed conversion attempts, I am a bit confused as to the final result Embarassed

However Alex, FWIW I wouldn't think it necessary to produce a specific version for the Navigon as the conversion seems (in the end) to be fairly straightforward. Also I can't be too confident that if I did suggest a precise format, I would be right Rolling Eyes and you are probably a busy person not wanting to waste effort!

So, in a nutshell (eventually), I took the original CAMRA Garmin-format csv file, used OpenOffice scalc (cf MS Excel) to take out the telephone-number column, leaving lat/long/nameaddress columns (first conversion attempts, with all 4 columns included, lost the nameaddress info); I also stripped out the start/end comment lines (the ones with ";" which seemed to upset the conversion attempts).

I then used POIEdit to convert from Garmin-csv to Generic-ascii, which POIWarner uses. This loaded ok on the Navigon.

Before I reached this stage, I had a lot of trouble with POIWarner objecting to the data being input. This meant resetting POIWarner and reloading all the POIs - not a particularly long job, but tedious after the first few goes Crying or Very sad

Other more knowledgeable (real-ale) people may well have fewer problems. In particular, it is presumably fairly strightforward to get the telephone info included (when I used NAVMAN csv as input format, all info WAS converted, but the Navigon load failed.)

Still I'm there now Smile Thanks for the info Alex.
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin CSV format is:
long,lat,"Description1","Description2"
Where Description1 = "pubname, town, postcode"
and Description2 = "phone"

The Navman format (same file included as both CSV and ASC):
long,lat,"Description"
where Description = "pubname, town, postcode - phone"

If you send a copy of your converted data (via the GBG POI support email address - gbgpoi AT camra DOT org DOT uk) then I'll send you a copy in Navman format that we sell to see if this loads. You may have to remove the comment lines again to make it work.
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I am happy to create new formats - I'm planning to launch these in September when the 2010 Good Beer Guide is launched.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon files on their way!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(For anyone interested in CAMRA POIs on navigating.de's POIWarner, any further developments will be on thread "CAMRA POI") - please feel free to enquire there Razz )
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my post of 31 March I reported that
Quote:
The POI-Warner for MN7 does not integrate the POIs into the MN7 map, because Navigon did not provide us with an interface for the MobileNavigator 7 version, as they did in the previous versions.
We are willing to alter it, if Navigon provides us with that particular interface.
Navigon have not actually replied to my specific question about this but just say
Quote:
Unfortunately as you already said it is not possible to enter your own POI's at the moment. You can only save them as favourites or if your are driving and would like to save a certain spot you can press options - gps status and then save these coordinates. Hopefully there will be a software release soon to allow this feature but I can not promise anything yet.
I guess this means they won't be making any interface available to navigating.de, but it remains to be seen if they actually DO offer something themselves at some point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: